Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire selection for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put these on my 2017 model X 100D. Wh per mile went from 309 too 364 over about 2500 miles. The do the job in mountain snow, so if you are willing to be less efficient this is a true four season tire....I just could not abide the loss of range and efficiency... Still looking for a three season tire to beat the Conti Cross Contact OEM on Range/efficiency.

I don't blame most of you for dropping serious cash on tires, but I haven't seen much variance in Wh/mi with the cheaper/more expensive sets. In addition, if I'm more than likely only going to get about 15-20K miles out of a set, I'm not going to pay 2-3 times more than what I have to.

I'm running a set of Nexen N'FERA RU5's (20's; 265/45's all the way around) for the winter set and couldn't be more pleased. Traction has been awesome and the ride has been smooth and quiet as well.

I have the OEM Pirelli's with the 22's ready for summer, but the lower profile tires are loud and obnoxiously bad when it comes to efficiency.

But they sure do look good!

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I can't find a current (2019) comprehensive thread on this discussion..

My wife's (late) 2017 Model X needs new tires. The OEM tires were Continental cross contact lx sport, but they only lasted 30,000 miles. So I'm looking for alternatives that will last longer. I've searched all over online and found most of the discussion focuses on these three models:

1. SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS
2. Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico with noise cancelling system
3. Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

Randomly, I can find other people using various tires, but not enough posts to see a consensus. For example, someone just posted in this forum about a new Mchelin SUV tire that sounds interesting, but no one appears to have tried it yet.

Assuming that all of these tires are more durable than those OEM tires, the main questions are: do they have the right load ratings? Are they quiet enough? How do they hold up for durability? How is traction in poor weather (rain/light snow)?

It would be cool if people could post their experiences here. And sure help me pick the next tire set for our MX.

My wife's tires sizes are 265/45R20 front and 275/45R20 rear.

Ben

Avoid Continental at ALL COSTs . Two blowouts and no response from Continental. Only lasted 20K. Got Pirelli Scorpion Verde and they are warranted for 60K. At 48k and going strong. Love them.

• Informative
Reactions: spaghetti
Is there a reason not to buy the cheapest available tire, like these? $456 for the set, they look within specs, noisier maybe? At these prices, worth getting a set to try out? The Service Center just told me to start thinking about another set of tires, not fancying paying $1800.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nankang-tire-cross-sport-sp-9/p/11586/rearProduct/11587

Always interested in Nankang as well, but not sure how it will applies on such heavy EVs. Would love to know if anyone ever try on their Tesla.

Is there a reason not to buy the cheapest available tire, like these? $456 for the set, they look within specs, noisier maybe? At these prices, worth getting a set to try out? The Service Center just told me to start thinking about another set of tires, not fancying paying $1800.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nankang-tire-cross-sport-sp-9/p/11586/rearProduct/11587
It all depends upon how and where you drive, tbh. Tires are probably the single most important factor in vehicle handling and safety. If you drive in chill, rarely if ever exceed the speed limit, always trail 2 seconds or more behind another vehicle, corner gently and ultimately do what we've all been taught is safe driving, then a tire like that is probably fine. There are huge differences though in how tires perform in corners, abrupt stops, wet surfaces, standing water, uneven surfaces or over road imperfections. Saving a few hundred dollars on tires and totaling your car probably isn't the bargain you're looking for.

If you buy them somewhere that has a satisfaction guarantee, you can try them out, learn their handling limitations and exchange them if they don't work for you.

Personally, I'm a spirited driver and I've returned more than 1 set of "bargain" tires because I hated how they made the vehicle feel.

Reactions: KBaoBao
2019 Raven, so i have 4/32 in the front and 6/32 in the rear....this is on OEMs with about 10k miles....kind of ridiculous right? Worth waiting or should I just change all four now before the Fall/Winter?

2019 Raven, so i have 4/32 in the front and 6/32 in the rear....this is on OEMs with about 10k miles....kind of ridiculous right? Worth waiting or should I just change all four now before the Fall/Winter?
What size tires? What height do you run your suspension at normally? Lower it at a given speed? Style of driver you'd say you are (ie. aggressive, calm, jack rabbit, ...)

What size tires? What height do you run your suspension at normally? Lower it at a given speed? Style of driver you'd say you are (ie. aggressive, calm, jack rabbit, ...)

Tires are 20 inch OEM, low on highways, standard normally, mix between aggressive and calm, two drivers on the vehicle so the style varies between wife and I.

sounds like a new set is a good idea?

Tires are 20 inch OEM, low on highways, standard normally, mix between aggressive and calm, two drivers on the vehicle so the style varies between wife and I.
sounds like a new set is a good idea?
I'm a bit baffled by your tire depth at 10K given in the information you provided. I'm guessing that it is the aggressive driving. I would certainly get a new set all around this Fall (i.e. location PA). I error on the safety side and traction/braking are your priority IMO. Based on your experience/style, tho, I'd find another brand.

I'm a bit baffled by your tire depth at 10K given in the information you provided. I'm guessing that it is the aggressive driving. I would certainly get a new set all around this Fall (i.e. location PA). I error on the safety side and traction/braking are your priority IMO. Based on your experience/style, tho, I'd find another brand.

it’s definitely alarming, I also contribute it to our winding roads and hillsides, but the OEMs did not last for us and I even put on winter tires this past season. Appreciate the feedback.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Has anyone been factoring in the speed rating of the tires? I have seen some people using tires that are H or V rated (vs Y). Most people look at the speed rating and think "I'll never drive 186 MPH" (Y rating), so I'm ok with downgrading to an H rated tire (130/mph) or V rated (150/mph). My experience when I tried this was that going from a Z rated tire (150+MPH) to an H rated made the car handle so sloppy I literally turned around halfway home (less than 3 miles of driving) to return them. When I returned to the shop the manager let me know that part of the speed rating reflects the stiffness of the sidewall which is needed for cornering at high speeds. While my experience may have be exaggerated in my memory, I'm trying to square that with what other people are seeing. In particular it seems that the weight of these vehicles would exacerbate any lowering of the speed rating of the tire.

With regard to tire wear, I have a 2019 MX whose tires were replaced at 13K and a 2020 MX tires ready to be replaced at 18K. I spoke to my tire shop about the crazy low mileage for my tires - they indicated that they see similar tire wear on MXs in particular and to some degree Tesla's in general (MXs are the hardest on the tires). Their assertion is that the mountain driving is a significant factor (which we do a lot of).

In search of a tire with 30K of tread life and near to OEM handling - seriously considering a square set to simplify life and increase the tire options.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Has anyone been factoring in the speed rating of the tires? I have seen some people using tires that are H or V rated (vs Y). Most people look at the speed rating and think "I'll never drive 186 MPH" (Y rating), so I'm ok with downgrading to an H rated tire (130/mph) or V rated (150/mph). My experience when I tried this was that going from a Z rated tire (150+MPH) to an H rated made the car handle so sloppy I literally turned around halfway home (less than 3 miles of driving) to return them. When I returned to the shop the manager let me know that part of the speed rating reflects the stiffness of the sidewall which is needed for cornering at high speeds. While my experience may have be exaggerated in my memory, I'm trying to square that with what other people are seeing. In particular it seems that the weight of these vehicles would exacerbate any lowering of the speed rating of the tire.

With regard to tire wear, I have a 2019 MX whose tires were replaced at 13K and a 2020 MX tires ready to be replaced at 18K. I spoke to my tire shop about the crazy low mileage for my tires - they indicated that they see similar tire wear on MXs in particular and to some degree Tesla's in general (MXs are the hardest on the tires). Their assertion is that the mountain driving is a significant factor (which we do a lot of).

In search of a tire with 30K of tread life and near to OEM handling - seriously considering a square set to simplify life and increase the tire options.
Good point. In my sheet to look for alternatives, I keep that of that as the X is heavy and I follow Tesla's recommendations.

I also look at UTQG for wear, etc info: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48
SFXYRaU.jpg

How many times have you had a wheel alignment performed and did Tesla perform it?

When we first got the X the steering wheel vibrated and it took two trips to get it right because I made them do a road force balance on the wheels. Tesla did the work. I also used them to switch to the Winters this past season. So perhaps the initial issues lead to a rapid decline in tread. I recall at one of the first SC visits that the tread was lower than I expected and we were only a few months into ownership.

Scott: looking at your chart, I’ve considered the Pirellis but everyone mentions the Verde variant. How come that isn’t on your list? Also, which of the ones on your list seem better suited for wet/dry since we won’t need them for winter.

Scott: looking at your chart, I’ve considered the Pirellis but everyone mentions the Verde variant. How come that isn’t on your list? Also, which of the ones on your list seem better suited for wet/dry since we won’t need them for winter.
Good question. I think I may have started that sheet while on another thread where they were not mentioned. I'll probably add those in case I want to change next time. The OEMs work well for my highway and style of driving.

Regarding your wet/dry question, I'd suggest looking each of the ones you are considering up on TireRack and other places to see their results. TireRack has this section on each tire as an example.
eLc1y51.jpg

Good question. I think I may have started that sheet while on another thread where they were not mentioned. I'll probably add those in case I want to change next time. The OEMs work well for my highway and style of driving.

Regarding your wet/dry question, I'd suggest looking each of the ones you are considering up on TireRack and other places to see their results. TireRack has this section on each tire as an example.
eLc1y51.jpg

FYI - The Verde A/S Plus only has a speed rating of H for the front (265/45R20). I would love to consider them as an option, but concerned about that - which was actually one of the drivers for my initial post.

- Kevin