Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire selection for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question. I think I may have started that sheet while on another thread where they were not mentioned. I'll probably add those in case I want to change next time. The OEMs work well for my highway and style of driving.

Regarding your wet/dry question, I'd suggest looking each of the ones you are considering up on TireRack and other places to see their results. TireRack has this section on each tire as an example.
eLc1y51.jpg

Also potentially worth looking into if H rating on the front is deemed ok - the Continental CROSSCONTACT LX25, I'm also contemplating those on the rear and a CROSSCLIMATE SUV on the front which are Y rated. Unfortunately the options with stock wheels seem pretty limited.

Last edited:
FYI - The Verde A/S Plus only has a speed rating of H for the front (265/45R20). I would love to consider them as an option, but concerned about that - which was actually one of the drivers for my initial post. - Kevin
Also potentially worth looking into if H rating on the front is deemed ok - the Continental CROSSCONTACT LX25, I'm also contemplating those on the rear and a CROSSCLIMATE SUV on the front which are Y rated. Unfortunately the options with stock wheels seem pretty limited.
I understand your point fully and when I went to add them to my sheet I noticed the H rating. That is a no-go for me. The Tesla suggested ratings are for a reason and certainly the V/W/Y rated tires have characteristics that make them 'better' than the H rated ones. Even if you are not on a track you have to consider emergency maneuvers around cars, people, animals, etc. As well I occasionally pull something or put heavy eBikes on my hitch. I don't risk the safety of myself, my family, or whoever else is in the car with me (plus the others on the road).

It is interesting that you are considering different tires on the front and rear. I wonder if that has complications and consequences as the thread pattern (etc) may react differently to various road conditions (wet, gravel, snow, etc) and cause problems. Personally I'm sticking with the same tire all around.

I understand your point fully and when I went to add them to my sheet I noticed the H rating. That is a no-go for me. The Tesla suggested ratings are for a reason and certainly the V/W/Y rated tires have characteristics that make them 'better' than the H rated ones. Even if you are not on a track you have to consider emergency maneuvers around cars, people, animals, etc. As well I occasionally pull something or put heavy eBikes on my hitch. I don't risk the safety of myself, my family, or whoever else is in the car with me (plus the others on the road).

It is interesting that you are considering different tires on the front and rear. I wonder if that has complications and consequences as the thread pattern (etc) may react differently to various road conditions (wet, gravel, snow, etc) and cause problems. Personally I'm sticking with the same tire all around.

We're on the same page - I'm really frustrated that the two tires with the best reported treadlife don't have a matched set to put on my car. I'm going to have to do something soon, and I really don't want to buy another set of tires I know will only last 13 - 18K miles.

My model: P90D
You can try Michelin Premier LTX.
245/50/r20
255/50/r20

I went on an extreme and bought the 19" rims for quiet and comfort.
Michelin Premier LTX
245/55/r19
255/55/r19
The LTX have horrible, horrible tread life lol
I had those on my older car and also on my wife’s van. Purchased thru Costco when they had tire sale.

OK, I may have found a palatable solution to using the Cross Climate LX 25's or the Scorpion Verde A/S 2s - after a long conversation with my local tire shop (with whom I would buy stock if I could based solely on my personal tire consumption!) - they indicated that the 275/45R20s would fit on the front as well solving my speed rating issue with the 265/45R20s. They're installing them Tuesday and will confirm fitment (no rubbing / chaffing) before handing the car back. They indicated based on their systems most people got more mileage out of the Pirelli's so we're doing that one first. Will probably try the LX 25's on our other X in a few weeks. Anything will be better than the 8500 miles I got from the P Zeros :(

OK, I may have found a palatable solution to using the Cross Climate LX 25's or the Scorpion Verde A/S 2s - after a long conversation with my local tire shop (with whom I would buy stock if I could based solely on my personal tire consumption!) - they indicated that the 275/45R20s would fit on the front as well solving my speed rating issue with the 265/45R20s. They're installing them Tuesday and will confirm fitment (no rubbing / chaffing) before handing the car back. They indicated based on their systems most people got more mileage out of the Pirelli's so we're doing that one first. Will probably try the LX 25's on our other X in a few weeks. Anything will be better than the 8500 miles I got from the P Zeros :(

I’ve never tried it, but folks have reported the 275s contact the inside edge (usually because the rears were incorrectly placed in the front). I am pretty sure you’ll hear it though.

The LTX have horrible, horrible tread life lol
I had those on my older car and also on my wife’s van. Purchased thru Costco when they had tire sale.

You are absolutely correct on the tread life. I think the shelf life had something to with them. I had both good and bad experiences. Same exact Michelin tires from Costco, one lasted 3 years another 5 years.

Not to say something bad about Costco. I bought the Bridgestone there, and they lasted 2.5 years. Same tires I bought from BJ to replace the bad ones, and they are still going strong after 3.5 years.

I’ve never tried it, but folks have reported the 275s contact the inside edge (usually because the rears were incorrectly placed in the front). I am pretty sure you’ll hear it though.

By putting the slightly larger tire on the correct sized rim, there is no rubbing. I confirmed by putting the car in it's lowest suspension setting, turning the wheel lock-to-lock and checking clearance with my hand. This is on a 2020 MX, I'll be doing the same thing with my 2019 MX in a week or so. I put the Scorpion Verde A/S 2s on the 2020 and will likely put the same tire on the 2019. I debated putting the LX 25s on the 2019, but the original tires only 13K miles and the 2020 OEM tires lasted 20K - I want to rule out manufacturing differences on the tire wear.

I'll post back with updates as we record mileage.

Kevin

By putting the slightly larger tire on the correct sized rim, there is no rubbing. I confirmed by putting the car in it's lowest suspension setting, turning the wheel lock-to-lock and checking clearance with my hand. This is on a 2020 MX, I'll be doing the same thing with my 2019 MX in a week or so. I put the Scorpion Verde A/S 2s on the 2020 and will likely put the same tire on the 2019. I debated putting the LX 25s on the 2019, but the original tires only 13K miles and the 2020 OEM tires lasted 20K - I want to rule out manufacturing differences on the tire wear.

I'll post back with updates as we record mileage.

Kevin
To be clear "I want to rule out manufacturing differences on the tire wear." was about Tesla's manufacturing differences not the tire manufacturer... :D

Curious. Don’t need tires yet I only have 1300 on mine, but Are there any tires that are run flats that are made that would fit. I wouldn’t care about the mileage lost for not having to worry about a flat. Would be something to consider since I already have two plugs in two of tires luckily happened overnight in my driveway.

Hi there, I was just forced to replace my set of 22s because of uneven wear and thread separation. When talking to the mechanic he said me this is a common issue on the MXs. Is anyone else having this problem? The old tires were Pirelli Scorpions PZero with 33K miles, below is the picture of how it looked when it was being replaced...
BTW I replaced them with Yokos

JHJ0Z1mUQ6-a4Qfcf-RFXA.2ZF4xUq_DjTKqAOEvUpp-F

Attachments

• 20201020_170334.jpg
    20201020_170334.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 320
I have to replace driver rear Continental OEM tire due to adjacent nails preventing a repair. I still have at least 7000 good miles left on the set of tires. I believe it best to replace both rear tires at the same time and do not want to get the Continental Silent tire. I'm planning to get the Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S. Discount Tire has them ordered but told me that Tesla (and other preformance manufacturers) recommends replacing all 4 tires at the same time as different tire wear on the front and the rear in the fulltime AWD can harm the differential. I find that hard to believe as Tesla has wanted to replace a single tire before, though the tread wear may not have been significant at that time.

But Scottf200 questioned different tires on front and rear:
... snip...

and khalin agreed:
We're on the same page - I'm really frustrated that the two tires with the best reported treadlife don't have a matched set to put on my car. I'm going to have to do something soon, and I really don't want to buy another set of tires I know will only last 13 - 18K miles.

So is it crazy to have different front and rear tires?

Can different remaining tread depth on front and rear tires be a problem with a tesla with separate front and rear drive motors?

Can different remaining tread depth on front and rear tires be a problem with a tesla with separate front and rear drive motors?
I don't see how tread depth would matter if you consider just taking any corner literally has every wheel traveling different distances. Even both inside or both outside wheels travel different distances. Pict I just found.
b90333e5e75673b167550ee93fb57e4c.png

A year later, how did this work out for you? I've been calling around - and most won't install same size if the vehicle calls for staggered.

I'm leaning towards the Michelin's because supposedly they earn a 3 peak snow symbol for excellent snow performance. I don't have the space to store winter/summer tires, so that seems like a good compromise. The biggest issue is that they are directional - which means ZERO rotations, other than a mount/dismount.

A year later, how did this work out for you? I've been calling around - and most won't install same size if the vehicle calls for staggered.

I'm leaning towards the Michelin's because supposedly they earn a 3 peak snow symbol for excellent snow performance. I don't have the space to store winter/summer tires, so that seems like a good compromise. The biggest issue is that they are directional - which means ZERO rotations, other than a mount/dismount.

Not sure what tire shops are around you, but, if you have an Americas/Discount Tire, the 275 option is validated as an all around... They don't force you to go staggered...

I went with 275/45r20 all around last month so I can do rotations... My factory OEMs lasted just under 13k miles... The outsides of the fronts were completely worn to the ply (the metal "threads" were visible all around the "no repair if you're punctured" zone), and they probably 2/32 all across... The rears were still maybe 4 or 5/32.