Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tire service lift pad adapter speciality tool

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are no dumb questions but you can overthink things.
If a tire shop employee looks at you like a dog hearing a whistle When you ask them if they know how to properly lift these vehicles you should probably run away. My recommendation ask around the local club and see where they take their vehicles that know how to lift and know how to use Jack Pads.

I used one of these to swap out my winter tires yesterday. Absolutely priceless, if you ever need to lift your car don’t hesitate to pick one of these up.
I did the same, on the same day (early snow here in the mountains). This jack pad makes things easy when using a floor jack. I keep it and my tire changing tools in the lower trunk, along with a scissors jack for roadside emergencies.

I did the same, on the same day (early snow here in the mountains). This jack pad makes things easy when using a floor jack. I keep it and my tire changing tools in the lower trunk, along with a scissors jack for roadside emergencies.
The Jack pads were not designed to work with scissor jacks only the floor jacks please do not use the scissor jacks it will destroy the JaThe jack pads were not designed to work with scissor jacks only the floor jacks please do not use the scissor jacks.

The Jack pads were not designed to work with scissor jacks only the floor jacks please do not use the scissor jacks it will destroy the JaThe jack pads were not designed to work with scissor jacks only the floor jacks please do not use the scissor jacks.
Nice to know. I have a hockey puck for the scissors jack, which works ok. Haven't had to change a tire on the roadside with the scissors jack thus far.

Have had a couple of punctures in recent months but was able to plug them at home without removing the wheel, although doing it on a rear wheel is difficult.

I have two jacking scenarios I can envision:

1) Emergency roadside. I don't plan to carry a spare (where would I put it??), so I have a patch kit as well as the Tesla-branded pump/slime bundle. My understanding (having never not had a spare tire before) is that patching with the wheel installed can be hit-or-miss insofar as reaching it goes. So, I may need to jack, but it would be limited to one corner....

2) Non-Tesla service lift. I don't have my own lift or anything, but I figure having a set of jackpads for a mechanic to use if the car needs to be lifted could be important--and would call for a full set for all four corners

SO:

The jackpads seem to fall into two broad groups: this product (and its knock-offs); and the "hockey puck"-style ones.

- Which is better--and, why?
- The floor-style jack recommended for the Murphy's Law pads doesn't seem practical for carrying in the car / using on the side of the road (yes/no? I'll be delighted to be wrong...). What style jack should I use for that scenario?
- Are either this product or the hockey pucks universal, i.e., good for both of my scenarios?

I have two jacking scenarios I can envision:

1) Emergency roadside. I don't plan to carry a spare (where would I put it??), so I have a patch kit as well as the Tesla-branded pump/slime bundle. My understanding (having never not had a spare tire before) is that patching with the wheel installed can be hit-or-miss insofar as reaching it goes. So, I may need to jack, but it would be limited to one corner....

2) Non-Tesla service lift. I don't have my own lift or anything, but I figure having a set of jackpads for a mechanic to use if the car needs to be lifted could be important--and would call for a full set for all four corners

SO:

The jackpads seem to fall into two broad groups: this product (and its knock-offs); and the "hockey puck"-style ones.

- Which is better--and, why?
- The floor-style jack recommended for the Murphy's Law pads doesn't seem practical for carrying in the car / using on the side of the road (yes/no? I'll be delighted to be wrong...). What style jack should I use for that scenario?
- Are either this product or the hockey pucks universal, i.e., good for both of my scenarios?

Fairly easy answers here.
I don't just sell these, I designed them and use them every day in my roadside assistance company in many cities and they are used by many service facilities on lifts for tire repair and vehicle upgrades.

The point you didn't make and which is most important " are any products idiot proof" and the answer is resoundingly NO.
Ive sold over 9000 units world wide and have had a failure rate below 2% and of that ive contacted the owners and picked their brain on how the failure happened and 75% of that 2% was do to misuse or machine error(failure of lift arms to lift at the same time on the sme tooth etc).
Im afraid you questions are way to vague to answer 10000000% and if any tool manufacturer answers you resoundingly that their product is fool proof or can be used in any and all situations they are full of themselves. I have broken a few of my tools in the field but usually do to the ground not being flat or there was no other way to change the flat as they were on the side of the road in gravel.

My products were made to use on a flat and level surface with a round lift saddle as I describe in my product description on my sales sites with pictures showing usage and acceptable floor jacks. Many shops use them on lifts and when used on a quality lift there is little to no issue.
Interchangeability, some other tools can be used on other models but I built mine with ease of use and what is safely possible. Again I don't say "SURE use it on your what ever" just to sell a tool.

Use what ever you feel safe with on your house payment of a vehicle, use a 2x4, use a hockey puck or use a specialty tool that was made for your specific vehicle model.
In the end its your choice, I can educate and make tools available and well 9000 units sold across the planet says something.

I recently went to Discount Tires to do a Tire rotation. They were very happy I had 4 jack pads handy that they could use to lift the car. So I would tend to say yes - a full set of 4 would come in handy at times.
I know it sounds weird but for tire rotations, doing only one side at a time is safer as most tire shops don't have the right drive on lifts, Most have drive on that are too short to reach the lift points and can lift into to the battery pack or side skirts doing damage.
its much safer to lift from one side, might sell less jack pads but its what I would do.

Fairly easy answers here.
I don't just sell these, I designed them and use them every day [...]

Thanks for responding, but, I have to say that the rest of your reply appeared to grow increasingly defensive. I’m not disparaging you or your product. Indeed, by all accounts here & elsewhere, you’ve designed a terrific jack pad to fulfill a need unaddressed by Tesla. Good for you, and I wish you nothing but success. As a new Tesla owner, I also say “thank you!” for making an improvement to the overall ownership experience.

However, that leaves my questions unanswered. I didn’t ask for an “idiot proof” tool—I’ve managed to bash my proverbial thumb with my proverbial hammer over the years, but I don’t blame the hammer for it!

I’m asking about an emergency kit to carry in the car. I believe you’ve stated that your pads are not suitable for scissors-style jacks or bottle jacks, correct? So, is there any emergency jack type suitable for use with your pads (and by “emergency,” I mean small/light enough to carry in the car)? Put another way, is there a “portable” style floor jack out there, small/light enough to ride around in the frunk hopefully never to be used...?

If the answer to that is “no,” that’s no reflection on your product—it just means it’s not the appropriate tool for this particular scenario.

If the answer is “yes,” let me hear it! You’ll likely gain a customer—if for no other reason than size/stability, I like the idea of your pads over the “hockey puck” design. I’m trying to get to “yes” here, there’s no reason for you to get upset with questions about applicability to my need.

So, I ask again:
- Which is better, and why? You clearly have a vested opinion (likely justified) on the Murphy’s Law pads; and I’m clearly interested despite the 3x - 5x cost factor over the hockey puck style. I’ve already said why I, a Tesla noob, like them (size/apparent stability). I’d like to know the full pro/con list of each, and its a reasonable question for a prospective customer to ask.

- What style jack should I use for my emergency roadside scenario; and, is that jack compatible with the Murphy’s Law pads? Also a reasonable question.

- Given my need (emergency kit to ride in the car full time, hopefully never to be seen again), is either the Murphy’s Law pad OR a “hockey puck” (or perhaps some third style I haven’t seen??) suitable for BOTH the roadside jack in the previous question AND for an unplanned visit to a non-Tesla shop’s lift? An eminently reasonable question when the goal is to build an emergency kit while observing space/weight constraints....

Again, NONE of this is disparaging to your product. Even if the answer to all of the above is “no,” it may well be—scratch that, it likely will be a case of no ML pads in my emergency kit, but either one or a set of four in my garage. (That’s a question for another day, after I’ve got my emergency kit built.). If I told you I had a nail to drive and was thinking about using your pad to do the job, you’d (hopefully) steer me toward a hammer. That’s no reflection on your product, it’s just not the right tool for that specific job. In the specific context of my emergency roadside scenario (with only an emergency roadside jack available): is yours the right tool?