Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire shop recommendations ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious, where do forum members from MA get their tires changed (S/X) ? Tesla, BJs, Costco, some local shop ? Wondering because I'm going to need tires at some point this year and wanted to do some legwork while it's not an emergency. I've had Tesla quote a very high price for OEM tires on the X ($500 for a single tire installation, when I had a nail in it a year ago!).
Thanks !

I'm curious, where do forum members from MA get their tires changed (S/X) ? Tesla, BJs, Costco, some local shop ? Wondering because I'm going to need tires at some point this year and wanted to do some legwork while it's not an emergency. I've had Tesla quote a very high price for OEM tires on the X ($500 for a single tire installation, when I had a nail in it a year ago!).
Thanks !

I've used Crothers Tire in Whitinsville (Crothers Tire :: Whitinsville MA Tires & Auto Repair Shop) for the last 6 years on my Teslas. They've been great. Great prices on the tires, careful on the jack points and inexpensive on the rotations/swaps. May be out of the way for many people but its close to where I live.

Thanks !
When we lived there I used Pete's Tire Barn. They were in Gardner but I believe they have stores all over MA.

If you buy the exact same tires as Tesla uses on Tire rack tesla will install then fit $125. Just did this on my X just ask SC to make sure you get correct tires.
I've used tirerack.com for over 20 years. You can enter your zipcode on the site and get a list of local recommended installers, with user comments, rankings, and prices. You can have the new tires shipped to the installer and then bring your car in (no need to ship to your house and haul around new tires in your trunk). You shouldn't have to pay more than $25-$30/tire for mounting and balancing.

Find a local installer and call them to see if they have any experience with Teslas. Note, some shops may not have the equipment to handle 21"/22" wheels.

Any quality shop can easily do it, provided you give them the right warnings up front. There's nothing magic about working on Tesla wheels/tires.
  • Make sure the lift arms only only lift from the pads and don't contact the battery pack.
  • If you have air suspension, lift the car up to max height (opt, but makes it easier to get the lift arms under the car) and turn on jack mode.
  • When re-installing the wheels, properly torque them to Tesla's (unusually high) torque specs (129 ft-lbs for the S/X; confirm in specs in owner's manual).
I've used Auto Sport Engineering in Shrewsbury and European Advanced Automotive in Framingham for lots of stuff (including tires). I was at Auto Sport years ago when a Tesla owner called about getting tires mounted. After hanging up the phone, the owner said "We're getting our first Tesla" and the mechanics were all excited to see it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: masam
Town Fair Tire in Marlboro, MA is my Tesla tire shop. They have many locations in the northeast. Although I have not replaced a tire yet, they fixed two flats when other shops wouldn't work on it. Their prices are very good and they understand Teslas.
I've had good luck with Town Fair Tire for my truck, wife's Outback, etc. I've used several stores (but not Marlboro) with no problems. Good service, decent prices, free rotations, road hazard coverage, etc. I haven't taken my S there (mainly because I don't know how much Tesla experience the local NH store has, and I'm happy with another tire shop in town).

I got Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s for my S at Direct Tire when they still had a Natick store. They had a great price and offered lifetime seasonal switchovers for free (thus saving me the cost of a second set of rims). Sadly, they closed the Natick store because the dumb landlord canceled their lease. I've since used their Watertown and Norwood locations (but I work in Natick, so that store was really convenient to me). If you are near any of their other locations you might get a quote.

Thanks @aronth5 and @JWardell !! The Electrified Garage is currently available for wheel and tire installations. If you store your tires with us then seasonal swaps are free. We have 14 years of factory trained Tesla Technicians 12 ASE certifications and was cofounded with Rich from Rich Rebuilds YouTube channel. No one in New England has more experience and we will match anyone’s prices. We are located in Seabrook NH about 1.5 miles from the Supercharger.