Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Shops - Do they know how to lift a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the market for a new set of 19" tires. Thinking of Pirelli or Michelin - whichever offer a more comfortable ride.

Tesla doesn't offer the Pirellis, so I'll have to shop around. But I dread going to non-Tesla places with this still perfect car. Specifically, I'm worried that they damage the battery or rocker panels when lifting the car.

What are your experiences with tire shops - are they familiar with the lift points?

Do they have the proper tools to lift the car without damaging the battery?

Are there any other things they have to know when replacing tires on a Tesla?

I had a similar situation and asked folks at my local service center that very question. They acknowledged my concern and pointed me to a local shop they had worked with and recommended.

Maybe check with your service center and see if they can make a similar recommendation.

Reactions: IchDochNicht
this is a very good point. i was just thinking this the other day. typically ive gone to the local tire place in my area. they do fine work but usually they lift with a regular jack and im not sure if it would be the same with a tesla.

I took my wife's Model S to a local Discount Tire to get a flat fixed. I asked, they said they've handled a few. Watched them lift it with carpet coated lift which covered well the lift points. No problems. When I need tires for our Teslas, I will shop around, but suspect Discount Tire will win, they did against Porsche, Lexus and even Toyota dealership prices in the past. Tires is all they do, and they do it well.

The lift instructions are in the owners manual and fit on a normal sheet of paper. Print them out and hand the paper to the tire store. Put a hand written note on the paper indicating if the car has the air suspension or not. The manual shows the lift points in green. I added a note indicating they are actually black. I also added a note indicating that the lug nut torque is 129 lb-ft. Hopefully they already know to look on the driver's door plaque for the cold tire pressure.

I called tire rack. Got great price including shipment. My little tire shop charged me $20 each to mount and balance.
I tool 4 little pieces of 2x4 to put on their jacks. That worked fine.
I saved $400 over tesla price. I got German Dunlap high speed ZR Y rated. Very hard compound. Have 12k on them with half tread left on front and third left on rear.
Big shop would not do it cause i didnt buy there. JERKS.

They don't. I get my tires mounted on wheels from TR, then when tires wear off I pack them in the trunk over a tarp and take them to my friendly hometown installer for replacement and high speed balancing, place looks like out of MadMax but they always do a terrific job.

On the homefront, the "Murphy's Law" jack pad magnetic adapter tool has made life much easier, as it lowers the jack point below the battery cover level.

I once called Wheel Works to repair a screw in my tire and they swore they could lift my Model S.

I arrive, and 10 mins later, "Uh, yeah, the guy that does the Teslas won't be in for another 2 days..."

Called Tesla and they set up an appt with me next day at the nearest service center and patched my tire in 45 mins. They even offered to send the mobile unit to my house to fix it.

I was shopping for new wheels/tires and found a local place that knows how to do it. I grilled them on it and they convinced me. Haven't used them yet. Finally bought new tires from TireRack and am having the service center install them on tuesday since I'm going in for service anyways.

Bottom line...call and grill them.

• Informative
They don't. I get my tires mounted on wheels from TR, then when tires wear off I pack them in the trunk over a tarp and take them to my friendly hometown installer for replacement and high speed balancing, place looks like out of MadMax but they always do a terrific job.

On the homefront, the "Murphy's Law" jack pad magnetic adapter tool has made life much easier, as it lowers the jack point below the battery cover level.
It got my tires rotated at Discount Tire and was not watching with they put my car on jacks. When I looked in the garage, I was shocked to see my car on 4 floor jacks with nothing between the jack point and the metal jack lifting point. That was the day that I bought 4 Murphy's Law magnetic adapters to go between the jack and the jack point.

No one does. Really, no one does!
None of them have the adapter and they kind of mock something up if they were to try.

I really suggest getting lift pad adapters or make your own (what i did).
Take them with you and give it to the shop to use. I did this when I had my tires changed

Also, leave a few in the car in case of emergency.

• Helpful
At the end of the day it’s just a car with 4 very well marked jack points. Any 4-position shop lift isn’t going to damage the battery or anything else.

Reminder about air suspension if so equipped and I usually tell them about Tesla’s rather high lugnut torque spec and we’re good to go.

Reactions: Hota and The Duke
At the end of the day it’s just a car with 4 very well marked jack points. Any 4-position shop lift isn’t going to damage the battery or anything else.

Reminder about air suspension if so equipped and I usually tell them about Tesla’s rather high lugnut torque spec and we’re good to go.

Its the batteries you have to worry about. Its right there and not using jack pads could damage them.

Its the batteries you have to worry about. Its right there and not using jack pads could damage them.

I concur. I took my car to Discount Tire once, and I noticed just before they lifted the car that the pads were overlapping the battery pack. Since the battery pack is lower, the entire weight of the car would be on the batter pack, and none of it on the jack points.

I have been using these on my MS and MX with no issues. With the tire repair kit in the trunk. Hockey puck (Modell's) and rubber plug (Ace hardware) screwed together. It fits the center jack point hole just right.

Attachments

• 99361634-30A3-4CFD-944A-B67F8B204C34.jpeg
    99361634-30A3-4CFD-944A-B67F8B204C34.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 1,113