Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Size for Stock 19” Rims HELP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi all Ik there’re a few other threads with the same topic as mine but I was wondering if anyone has run the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S with 265/35/19 on stock Model 3 19s. I am debating between the following options:

-265/35/19
-265/40/19
-255/35/19

This setup will more than likely b my daily driving setup al year round. I do not want any rubbing whatsoever. If anyone has any other tire options besides the 4S please feel free to lmk as well.

Appreciate all the help in advance!

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Per Michelin's spec sheet the 265 would require a 9" wheel at a minimum (stock is 8.5").

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...PS4SXLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

The 255/35/19 is about .4" smaller than stock, but would fit the 8.5" wheel.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...5YR9PS4S&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

That being said, I am curious, why do you want a wider tire? I really don't see what benefit it would give you on a daily driven car. The downside would be decreased range.

Should fit no problem

Definitely too tall.

Fits fine, will look a tad smaller than stock

This one will be a hit and miss. Might fit, might rub slightly on the top of the knuckle when new, depending on a particular tire tolerance.

Should fit no problem

Definitely too tall.

Fits fine, will look a tad smaller than stock

This one will be a hit and miss. Might fit, might rub slightly on the top of the knuckle when new, depending on a particular tire tolerance.

Thanks for the information man...the only thing that throws me off is that I’ve seen someone run a 265/40/18 on the stock 18s...they fit because it’s an 18” wheel compared to the 19s?

I really wanna put the 255/40 or 265/40 for the sidewall Nd look

Attachments

• CC51458E-845D-42FE-867F-29E372583189.jpeg
    CC51458E-845D-42FE-867F-29E372583189.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 2,591
Per Michelin's spec sheet the 265 would require a 9" wheel at a minimum (stock is 8.5").

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...PS4SXLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...5YR9PS4S&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

That being said, I am curious, why do you want a wider tire? I really don't see what benefit it would give you on a daily driven car. The downside would be decreased range.

I don’t plan on lowering the vehicle so I just wanted some better handling this way ik there’re other ways to get better handling but I need tires anyway.

Also I’ve been looking Nd I probably will get the Michelin Pilot sport a/s 3+ because they’re al seasons...think the 265/35 tires would b good on those?

Thanks for the information man...the only thing that throws me off is that I’ve seen someone run a 265/40/18 on the stock 18s...they fit because it’s an 18” wheel compared to the 19s?

I really wanna put the 255/40 or 265/40 for the sidewall Nd look
265/40/18 also requires 9+ inch wide rims. You can probably find a shop that'd squeeze those on though.

265/40/19 is half an inch closer to the knuckle than 265/40/18 and 10ish mm closer to the knuckle than stock rubber. You can see how much space you have between the top of your tire and the knuckle by yourself. Don't forget to take account of worn vs new tread depth.

265/40/18 also requires 9+ inch wide rims. You can probably find a shop that'd squeeze those on though.

265/40/19 is half an inch closer to the knuckle than 265/40/18 and 10ish mm closer to the knuckle than stock rubber. You can see how much space you have between the top of your tire and the knuckle by yourself. Don't forget to take account of worn vs new tread depth.

Would it b wise to put the 265s on the 8.5” wheel?

I also don’t want to lose performance too which is my main reason for doing this...I’ve heard that the 265s on the 8.5” wide wheel decreases steering response which I don’t want.

I was thinkin the 255/40/19 but as mentioned above...it’s hit or miss Nd I wanna do it right the first time

Would it b wise to put the 265s on the 8.5” wheel?

I also don’t want to lose performance too which is my main reason for doing this...I’ve heard that the 265s on the 8.5” wide wheel decreases steering response which I don’t want.

I was thinkin the 255/40/19 but as mentioned above...it’s hit or miss Nd I wanna do it right the first time

I assume you are coming from the OEM 19" Continentals? That being the case, I really think the stock sized PS4S is your best option. You are going to see a dramatic difference. Another 20 or 30mm of tire is not going to be much of a noticeable difference from a handling perspective, especially considering you don't have supporting modifications, and it's going to be a major nuisance in every other way. FWIW, I can only pull .1g's more on the street with my 275 200TW's compared to my 235 300TW's. Just my two cents.

I assume you are coming from the OEM 19" Continentals? That being the case, I really think the stock sized PS4S is your best option. You are going to see a dramatic difference. Another 20 or 30mm of tire is not going to be much of a noticeable difference from a handling perspective, especially considering you don't have supporting modifications, and it's going to be a major nuisance in every other way. FWIW, I can only pull .1g's more on the street with my 275 200TW's compared to my 235 300TW's. Just my two cents.

i would do the PS4S but i dont want to switch tires in the winter cuz i experience all 4 seasons where im at.

i really am leaning towards the 255 but im debating 255/35 vs 255/40

A/S 3+ aren't any good for NY winter, unless you expect to work from home a lot. I'd either go with a different A/S tire or have a summer(+1/2fall+1/2 spring) set, and another one from November through March.

I’m in the south now and I don’t experience as much snow as New York now that’s y I’m goin towards the a/s 3+