Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I purchased after market wheel for my RWD M3 and been having some trouble with some tire installers like Discount Tires who mention that the size of the tire I am choosing is incorrect.

I'm moving from my stock 18" aero wheel to 235/35/20 front and rear. Apparently these wheels do not support the load range but I get about over 6000 pounds for the 95 tire index that these are - RWD M3 is over 3000 pounds. Looks like the performance M3 also comes with these 235/35/20 tires.

Wheel manufacturers like Tsportline and EV Wheel direct state that 235/35/20 will work for the RWD M3 and recommend this size as one of the options.

Has anyone had any issues with something similar to this or tires this size? Any suggestions how to go about this?

Hi all,
I purchased after market wheel for my RWD M3 and been having some trouble with some tire installers like Discount Tires who mention that the size of the tire I am choosing is incorrect.

I'm moving from my stock 18" aero wheel to 235/35/20 front and rear. Apparently these wheels do not support the load range but I get about over 6000 pounds for the 95 tire index that these are - RWD M3 is over 3000 pounds. Looks like the performance M3 also comes with these 235/35/20 tires.

Wheel manufacturers like Tsportline and EV Wheel direct state that 235/35/20 will work for the RWD M3 and recommend this size as one of the options.

Has anyone had any issues with something similar to this or tires this size? Any suggestions how to go about this?
The stock tire for the 20" wheel actually has a lower 92 weight index than what you got. You just need to go to another tire place that will install the tire without forcing you to find an XL rated tire in the 20" size with a higher weight rating.

Edit: Seems I was mistaken on there not being any 235/35-20 tires rated as XL tires. There are and yours might be too. I think that as long as the weight rating is higher than the 92 that Tesla uses you should be good. You just need to find a tire place that will do it.

Last edited:

What wheels do you have and exactly what tires have you been considering in the 235/35/20 size ?

I realize this is outdated, but just in case someone else comes upon it like I did...
Discount/America's Tire gave me all sorts of hassle about installing 97 load rating tires onto the OEM Model 3 performance wheels I had added to my LR RWD. They said my car requires a tire with load rating of 98 or more. This is the rating of the stock tire on the 18's. However, the stock tires that come on the 20" performance wheel are rated 92 as was stated previously.
I have 3 comments that may or may not help:
1. The tire shop told me that if I take the car into the Tesla service center with the performance wheels, they will update the door tag, but I have not tried this yet.
2. If getting tires for the 20x8.5 performance wheel, I suggest going with 255/35/20, as this wider tire is still within spec for the wheel, but protects the wheel better from curb rash, and more importantly provides more tire to absorb road hazards. In my case, I dented and ruined a wheel when hitting a pothole which was an expensive day ($800 replacement from Tesla, $500 shipped from 3rd party). I feel like this may have been avoided with the wider tire.
3. If you still want to buy through one of the tire shops that are overly bureaucratic on this, remove the wheels yourself and take them in without the car. Tell them they are going onto a model 3 performance. Reinstall them on the car yourself. Problem solved.

America’s Tire in Burbank wouldn’t fix a flat on my Audi S6 with aftermarket wheels several years ago due to a tiny bit lower load range than the stock tires, even though it was still 1650/wheel, plenty high enough. I got one of the guys to put some air in and drove to the Pasadena location, where they saw the note Burbank had attached to my account and also refused to patch it. That was my last trip to America’s/Discount Tire.

On the opposite side of that equation, I called the shop that sold me the wheels and installed the tires (Supreme Power in Fullerton) to help figure out my options; the guy I dealt with there voluntarily drove to my house after work & picked the wheel/tire up, then took it with him to work the next day (40+ miles each way) to patch it for me.