TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tire size issues. RWD Model 3 LR

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Jlescobar, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Jlescobar

Jlescobar Member

Hi all,
    I purchased after market wheel for my RWD M3 and been having some trouble with some tire installers like Discount Tires who mention that the size of the tire I am choosing is incorrect.

I'm moving from my stock 18" aero wheel to 235/35/20 front and rear. Apparently these wheels do not support the load range but I get about over 6000 pounds for the 95 tire index that these are - RWD M3 is over 3000 pounds. Looks like the performance M3 also comes with these 235/35/20 tires.

Wheel manufacturers like Tsportline and EV Wheel direct state that 235/35/20 will work for the RWD M3 and recommend this size as one of the options.

Has anyone had any issues with something similar to this or tires this size? Any suggestions how to go about this?

2. android04

android04 Member

#2 android04, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    The stock tire for the 20" wheel actually has a lower 92 weight index than what you got. You just need to go to another tire place that will install the tire without forcing you to find an XL rated tire in the 20" size with a higher weight rating.

Edit: Seems I was mistaken on there not being any 235/35-20 tires rated as XL tires. There are and yours might be too. I think that as long as the weight rating is higher than the 92 that Tesla uses you should be good. You just need to find a tire place that will do it.

3. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

What wheels do you have and exactly what tires have you been considering in the 235/35/20 size ?

4. Jlescobar

Jlescobar Member

5. Motorcity M3

Motorcity M3 Member

Same issue for me. Anyone successful in getting an updated wheel load tag from Tesla to reflect the performance model rating? My vin came with 18s.