TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tire Size? Lift Kit?

Discussion in 'Cybertruck' started by Glamisduner, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Anyone know what size tires were on this thing? I would probably want to run 35's. Think there will be lift kits available, because I would like to run 35s.... Not sure how they would work with the air suspension.

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

The tries on the unit they had on display were 35"... And it already has 16" of ground clearance, how much more do you need? It has a built-in adjustable lift kit. (If the information I saw is correct it has 8" of adjustability.)

• Helpful x 1
  3. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

the adjustable lift is only useful if it won't bottom out on the wheels/tires. 35's should do it, but those covers look like they would rip off the first time you have to air down. Sounds like it's decently setup already.

• Like x 1
  4. billarnett

billarnett Member

I assume the 16” clearance is with the suspension at its maximum height.

5. Murphy’s Law

Did anyone get the full tire size?

• Like x 1
  6. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I haven't found one close up photo of the tires, cameras, door handles....zero. anyone?

7. EnrgyNDpndnce

EnrgyNDpndnce Member

I had the same question and there are several articles written by media members who I believe were at the event suggesting those were 35” tires. I showed the pictures to my 18 year old who is a self-proclaimed expert on such matters and he said definitely 35s. So the tires are plenty big IF those are the stock tires on the production model. Like others, I also am assuming the 16” of clearance is with the suspension at maximum height.

Looks like a helluva truck!

8. Zybane

Zybane Member

Motor Trend said the tires were 35". Plus the 16" max ground clearance, I don't plan to mod mine.

9. coleAK

coleAK Member

I hope that the tires are 35”. Also I hope the rims are not pointless 20”+, needs to fit a 18” and a 17” would be even better. Hope it has at least a Torsen up front with the single motor and a lock would be great. Also how the onboard air can reasonably air up four 35-37” tires.

Also bummed that went with air suspension, may be good for cars but suck off road: firm up and “pogo” when raised, limit articulation, fail in the extreme cold, fail in sand,... hydraulic like Toyota Land Cruiser would have been better. I’ll take 10” of clearance with great down travel and articulation over 16” of super firm bounce. I’ve off roaded with Jeep grand cherokee trailhawk’s with the air they spend most of the time with a wheel off the ground teetering on rolling over. Tesla uses the MB/Chrysler air system in the S so probably will use the MB/Jeep one in the truck.

10. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Do they still? I thought that with the Raven version of the S&X they went to a new Tesla designed air suspension.

11. B5chung888

B5chung888 Member

Doesn't matter what size they are but I know the truck is ready for snowmagadon!

12. coleAK

coleAK Member

#12 coleAK, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Last I looked the part numbers were Bosh same as MB/Chrysler. System for off road needs to be entirely different than on for a car. Probably like MB/Jeep/rover though Tesla will figure almost no one will really off road it to capacity and the air is good on road an a marketing gimmick. Also bad for failing in extreme cold where condensation developed inside then freezes solid, and of you drive a bunch of dust/sand (Aus, Africa, Middle East, SW US off road, bush roads in AK,...) wears out seals quick which leads to leaks.

I know a die hard Jeep guy that pulled the air out of his trailhawk for “king’s with springs” only way he could keep up off road with the rest of us. Also air does well enough under ~30% sag but when you increase the PSI to raise the height you also increase the rate so greatly firm up, limit travel, and constantly bounce off the bump stops. With springs and hydraulic you get softer with more travel when you raise up.