Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zoomit

Sep 1, 2015
SoCal
It appears the wheels are the same as Model 3 but I've seen hints that the tires are slightly larger. Has anybody seen a picture of the tire that would show the size? Someone must have taken a picture of the white Model Y tires at the reveal.

I guess I should have checked Twitter first:

LikeTesla on Twitter

255/45R19

which would be 255/50R18

Diameter grew 1.6", which accounts for a 0.8" ride height increase.

It's possible the Model Y has the exact same suspension geometry as Model 3.

It's also an effective 6% gear ratio increase. Assuming they keep the same motor reduction ratio (very likely) then the torque to the ground is reduced 6% and the motor spins that much slower at all speeds.

Just came here to say that the prototype Model Y that was seen in Washington today also has 255/45R19 tires, and (not being as smart as @Zoomit ) I used an online calculator to see the same things of 255/50R18 and also see that has has 11.1% greater sidewall than the 19s, which makes me wonder, does 11% make a huge difference in ride quality, sound or even protecting the rims?

apologies...posted this on another thread b4 I saw this one...which seems more appropriate.

I ordered a Model Y with the standard 18" wheels under the assumption that I would upgrade myself to 20" /black finish (via third party tuner). Question is...do you all think 22" (as can be found with model x) will look out of place/too big for a model Y? also, does anyone know of any market/site, etc for brand new/un-used standard wheels (tires and/or rims) from people who have purchased 3, S, X and have done the same?