Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire sizes for 18 inch M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys

trying to get a winter set up for the Model 3P. I actually have a set of pretty new 235/50/18 winter tires laying around, would I be able to use that on my car? I know the base model 3 comes with 235/45/18, so these tires are a little taller than OEM. Has anyone tried running this size?

Also does the performance model need a different offset wheel than standard model 3 or different PCD wheels. I’ve heard the aero wheels do not fit P models.

Hey guys

trying to get a winter set up for the Model 3P. I actually have a set of pretty new 235/50/18 winter tires laying around, would I be able to use that on my car? I know the base model 3 comes with 235/45/18, so these tires are a little taller than OEM. Has anyone tried running this size?

Also does the performance model need a different offset wheel than standard model 3 or different PCD wheels. I’ve heard the aero wheels do not fit P models.
You need to clear the performance brakes, and to do that with 18" you need the thinness of a forged/semi-forged rim.
235/50R18 is 3.8% bigger, which is quite a lot. I don't know if they will actually fit, so I'm not going to weigh in on that.
I wouldn't really recommend such a tall profile and that much sidewall for a 2 ton sports car, it's going to be really noticeable in the bends.
upload_2021-1-7_15-43-58.png

There are a lot of 18" rims that fit, there's a sticky thread about wheels. I'm running 235/45/18 winter tires on my TM3P, it reduced average Wh/km consumption by 20%, from ~200 to ~160 (heavy foot).

You need to clear the performance brakes, and to do that with 18" you need the thinness of a forged/semi-forged rim.
235/50R18 is 3.8% bigger, which is quite a lot. I don't know if they will actually fit, so I'm not going to weigh in on that.
I wouldn't really recommend such a tall profile and that much sidewall for a 2 ton sports car, it's going to be really noticeable in the bends.
View attachment 625297

There are a lot of 18" rims that fit, there's a sticky thread about wheels. I'm running 235/45/18 winter tires on my TM3P, it reduced average Wh/km consumption by 20%, from ~200 to ~160 (heavy foot).
Good point, thanks for the input! The OEM 20 inch tires look really thin too, combined with heavy car I am sure it’s susceptible to breaking. May consider running 18s year round

Good point, thanks for the input! The OEM 20 inch tires look really thin too, combined with heavy car I am sure it’s susceptible to breaking. May consider running 18s year round
They are thin but perform very well. I wanted lower unsprung weight, so I did 18 winter (19lbs rims vs 28lbs on the tm3 20" sport wheels)
I'm gonna go 245/40/19 for summer. PS4S

We really need a wheel & tire subforum

agreed, most car forums have this.

@jjrandorin is it possible to make a master thread with an editable OP, so it could be kept up to date?
Or is it reasonable to create a wikipost about it?

master thread would be great too. I’m sure these questions come up again and again. Especially this car being relatively new.

Reactions: MountainPass
@jjrandorin is it possible to make a master thread with an editable OP, so it could be kept up to date?
Or is it reasonable to create a wikipost about it?

I dont believe the forum software works in such a way that a post can be made and the OP in the post being editable, but as you likely know I am a (new) volunteer moderator. I am also not quite sure how wiki's work on this site, although I know they exist. If someone wants to put together a comprehensive FAQ document or something, I am not opposed to making it a master thread, but I am not volunteering to do so, lol.