Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tire slow leak on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

beckwood

Aug 30, 2022
CA
I bought this Model Y this April, and the left rear tire on my model Y has been leaking very slowly since I bought it and needs to be inflated about every 10 days or I get a tire pressure alarm. I went for a tire inspection in American Tires and found that the tire was OK, it was the scratches on the inside of the wheel (attached picture) that was causing the slow leak. The guy from Ameican Ties suggested checking with Tesla to see if they can replace a wheel for free.

Then I submitted a service request to Tesla, and they gave me a repair estimate total cost: $989.85, as I mentioned in the service request this scratch was inside the wheel which won't be occurred by normal driving, however, Tesla service still consider it would not be covered.

Do you have any ideas on this? Should I continue to fix this in Tesla or find another tire shop to take a look?

IMG_5343.jpg

IMG_5376.jpg

I have a rental Model Y this week from Hertz with the exact same issue, slow leak on the right rear with no visible evidence of damage. Hertz gave me a voucher to get it repaired in a couple of days on my 650-mile drive home. Hopefully that fixes it.

That wheel has hit something hard enough to ding the rim - the mark on it is very clear, it's a crack, not a "scratch". It being "inside" just means whatever you hit was on that side of the wheel - not as common as hitting stuff like curbs on the outside face, but not impossible. It's not a manufacturing or assembly defect so there is no warranty claim here. Same with any other brand. Sucks but if the crack is what's leaking, you just gotta suck it up and replace it. I assume they already reinstalled the tire to rule out the seal?