Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Specifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Model S owner's manual it states that "Model S tires are asymmetric." The tires on our brand new 2021 S are not asymmetric and about all I am told by anyone at Tesla is that either they don't know or "the tires you have are the correct ones for your car" with no explanation for the contradiction. I would like to understand why we don't have the tires promised in the owner's manual Help, please!
Beasts

Much ado about nothing. It’s not a requirement to run with asymmetrical tires. Size, load ratings, etc. are what’s important. You can rotate asymmetrical tires left/right/front/back. Directional tires can only be rotated front/back, assuming a square setup.

its just wording from the manual on older cars like mine it comes stock with 245 in the front and 265 in the back.
the biggest thing is load and speed rating then just find ones that have the same rotations per mile or circumference as the stock ones and you're golden. that's how i found the 255/40/20 that i use for snow tires to fit just fine.

"Much ado about nothing." ??? Asymmetric tires are built specifically to improve the handling of the vehicle over tires with the same specifications otherwise and their price reflects that difference. I'm confused that you brought up directional tires. Another topic entirely except that they are also intended to improve performance.
The tires on our S are staggered the same as airborne spoon's. And I understand how to go about choosing replacement tires. My beef is that Tesla states one thing in their manual and does something different with no explanation. They are providing a less expensive and lower performing tire and I think that the least they could do is explain their actions to their customers

"Much ado about nothing." ??? Asymmetric tires are built specifically to improve the handling of the vehicle over tires with the same specifications otherwise and their price reflects that difference. I'm confused that you brought up directional tires. Another topic entirely except that they are also intended to improve performance.
The tires on our S are staggered the same as airborne spoon's. And I understand how to go about choosing replacement tires. My beef is that Tesla states one thing in their manual and does something different with no explanation. They are providing a less expensive and lower performing tire and I think that the least they could do is explain their actions to their customers
I brought up directional as I thought you were concerned about rotation limitations.
Asymmetrical tires try to cover multiple multiple facets, hence the diff pattern on outer edges vs inner. My point was the tread pattern is lesser of a concern vs compound, load/speed ratings, etc. They prob should’ve just left that word out as manuals are not spec sheets. Std fitments can and do change over time.
What tires came in your car? I’d be more concerned if they fitted “cheap” asymmetrical tires vs something like Michelin Pilots. 😀

Our tires are Continental Pro Contact RX T1s. The fronts are 255/45 R19 104W M.S. The rears are 285/40 R19 107W M.S. They are rated at Treadwear 400, Traction A and Temperature A. I don't know enough to criticize one manufacturer over another but these ratings sound pretty good to me. I can only hope that Continental is a high quality manufacturer.
I guess I am just pretty frustrated about how difficult it is to get straight, honest, complete answers to questions like these from Tesla. And believe me, I have tried. Sometimes I feel like I am asking too much or my questions are considered inappropriate. As an example I have been trying, for at least 6 months, to get torque figures for our S Long Range. No one seems to know. I was more surprised when I posted on this site regarding the same issue and after more than 150 views not one person had anything to say in response. I had the feeling that people purchasing a car like the S would be car guys (or gals) and would clearly have an interest in the torque generated by these rather fast cars. After all torque, in conjunction with horsepower, is primarily what makes a car go fast faster!
I would hope that Tesla would assume responsibility for keeping their publications accurate. I am not excited about constantly having to take such information with questions in my mind about accuracy. Some might say I'm just too curious or demanding.

That’s what I meant about “much ado about nothing”. Conti Pro Contact are good tires. Tread pattern, whether symmetrical or asymmetrical, is not something to be concerned about is my point. Understand your frustration.
As for torque, are you taking about the lug nuts? It’s 129ft-lbs if so. If other specs like suspension components etc., those values are hard to come by regardless of brand/manufacturer in terms of service depts response. The interwebs and/or online repair manuals are how we usually get the needed info.