Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire speculation: Ideal shoes for the X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
I haven't a knowledgeable say on this matter, as my rides over the past decades have either been full-sized pickups (too big), my diesel Golf (far too small), or the Model S. Those of you with experience in higher-end SUVs, like the Cayenne or Audi, however, may have some opinions on what tires may be best appropriate for the X. Or is is too difficult if we don't even have a firm handle on the rim size and width?A good start may be to assume AWD; as with any vehicle we could either assume all-season or summer & winter. My own belief is that a high-performance tire per se is not appropriate for an SUV - that's why you get a P85+!!! - but I also know others think differently.

- - - Updated - - -

Still can't create paragraphs or amend text. I guess I've been put on double-secret probation. Sorry!

According to the Credit Suisse report (issued 8-13-2014, One year price target $325) Tesla motors are working with unnamed supplier to develop custom tires that can reduce friction losses by 20%-30%. There were no time frame for the completion of this project given in the report.

I haven't a knowledgeable say on this matter, as my rides over the past decades have either been full-sized pickups (too big), my diesel Golf (far too small), or the Model S. Those of you with experience in higher-end SUVs, like the Cayenne or Audi, however, may have some opinions on what tires may be best appropriate for the X. Or is is too difficult if we don't even have a firm handle on the rim size and width?A good start may be to assume AWD; as with any vehicle we could either assume all-season or summer & winter. My own belief is that a high-performance tire per se is not appropriate for an SUV - that's why you get a P85+!!! - but I also know others think differently.

- - - Updated - - -

Still can't create paragraphs or amend text. I guess I've been put on double-secret probation. Sorry!

I guess Michelin ps3's

The Model X is a Crossover Utility Vehicle (CUV). That is a nice advertising name for a minivan with better styling. I am willing to bet that 99.9% of MX miles as with most CUV miles will be on paved roads. Given that and the common heritage, I'm betting that the MX tires will have a lot in common with the MS tires.

The MX will be a great vehicle, but for real off-road use, I will keep my 2000 Jeep Cherokee and my 2008 Toyota FJ.

My MS probably gets more gravel road miles than most, because it's 2 miles of gravel from my garage to the paved highway. That means 4 miles roundtrip on gravel every time I leave the house.

Given my wonderful winter experience with the Hakka 7's on the MS, I will probably get a set of Hakka R2's for winter/snow use for my MX. Even though I got the nice, grippy Conti 21's with the P85, they wear way too fast, have extra drag on trips, and the rims are very sensitive to curb rash. Therefore, those 21's mostly sit idle up on a wall rack in my garage as my P85 MS does very well on the 19" Michelin Primacy tires in the summer. I assume that a similar choice will be good for my future MX in the summer.

Those of you with experience in higher-end SUVs, like the Cayenne or Audi, however, may have some opinions on what tires may be best appropriate for the X. Or is is too difficult if we don't even have a firm handle on the rim size and width?

It may depend on terrain and your "most often used for" factor. I see plenty of immaculate Cayennes/Audis being used for school runs and supermarket shopping - That might be a totally different tire than I'll be wanting to haul horse trailers.

Speculation on tires should probably be preceded by discussion on Model X weight, torque etc. but there's other members who know far more than I do about tire suitability vis-a-vis those factors.

We don't have you under any sort of probation. Use the "Contact Us" form at the bottom of this page to describe your problem or start a thread under Site Feedback.