Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Speed Rating Setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cypho

Dec 20, 2018
USA
Dear Tesla,

I know you won't read this, but you should add a setting in the UI where users (or even better tire shops) can enter the speed rating of the currently installed tires and then automatically limit the top end appropriately.

My winter tires(probably most winter tires) have a lower speed rating. It is a fair trade off - better traction in the snow/ice in exchange for limiting the top end to only 1.5x the legal limit.

I am unlikely to ever approach the limit of the winter tires, but it would be nice to know that the car was aware of the limitation and would respect it. Especially when spouses who are unaware that tires have limits are permitted to drive the vehicle.

Last edited:
no one is going to exceed the capabilities of your tires rated for 118mph.

You don't know my spouse. :p

I agree it is not a high priority thing. But if we can have a setting to change wheel design used in the avatar why can't we have a setting to specify the tire performance characteristics?

And it sounds like this may be available/coming for PLAD. Headlines say plad max speed is boosted to 200 via software if you have the right tires. If plad needs tire specific governor why can't other models.