Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire tear from curb scrape

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love some opinions....

I've got the 19" Gemini wheels on a new 2023 MYLR, and I *stupidly* scraped the curb while parking, along the front driver's side tire edge and the wheel rim. The tire has a small tear with a flap, less than 1" long, maybe a quarter inch or less deep. Can the tire rip be repaired with a rubber cement product (I have Flex Seal clear that states rubber as one of the repair claims), or should I consider a new tire (ugh). Worrying about integrity of the tire, especially on long road trips, >65 mph, etc. The car has less than 600 miles on it 😩, and I am really kicking myself for this. 😓

Attachments

• IMG_3880.jpg
    IMG_3880.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 360
Would love some opinions....

I've got the 19" Gemini wheels on a new 2023 MYLR, and I *stupidly* scraped the curb while parking, along the front driver's side tire edge and the wheel rim. The tire has a small tear with a flap, less than 1" long, maybe a quarter inch or less deep. Can the tire rip be repaired with a rubber cement product (I have Flex Seal clear that states rubber as one of the repair claims), or should I consider a new tire (ugh). Worrying about integrity of the tire, especially on long road trips, >65 mph, etc. The car has less than 600 miles on it 😩, and I am really kicking myself for this. 😓
It's ok, looks cosmetic to me and doesn't need repair. But I am just a backyard mechanic looking at a picture. Take to a tireshop to be sure. I bet you won't do that again ...

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus and SLR89
Thanks for the input. Will keep an eye on the tire pressure and for bubbles or anything else that’s odd. Was telling my wife to watch for curb rashing and then I go do it, of course. 🙄 Mercifully, she’s being gracious (at least on the outside, lol).

My prior car was a Model S with ultrasonic sensors and a front radar. I would never hit a curb in that car because the car would beep a warning that I was too close to the curb. There would be a visual notification on the screen as well which would show the distance in inches to an obstacle on either a side or the front or the rear of the car.

I just purchased a Model Y this week and all of those features have been removed. I was told by the sales and delivery people that I would be getting the same proximity detection by Christmas via software update. But it did not happen. Instead I got a bunch of useless additions to the car mostly related to games and sounds. Tesla has promised this in writing:
  • Side Collision Warning: Warns of potential collisions with obstacles alongside the car
  • Obstacle Aware Acceleration: Automatically reduces acceleration when an obstacle is detected in front of your car while driving at low speeds
I paid a great deal extra for enhanced autopilot and I cannot even park safely or pull into or out of a garage with proximity detection.

How can we force Tesla to address these key issues right now instead of improving Fart sounds?

I have a 2020 LRMY with the USS and at 15 months I turned a bit too wide into a parking space next to a curb and it happened. The USS do not detect curbs.

The damage in the photo appears to be cosmetic, not through the outer construction of the tire. I would take a utility blade knife and carefully trim off the loose piece of the tire sidewall and call it a day.