TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tire thread life

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SlicedBr3ad, Jan 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

CA0A6B04-1305-4839-A6E9-7AA0B1464090.jpeg 9E00ED8A-8ADD-4499-AAEB-502A5317CBEC.jpeg

Just did 3rd tire rotation as we hit ~18500 miles. Thread looks good but tires seem lopsided. We are in Florida with speed limits of 70mph in places and drive pretty fast with occasional fast acceleration. No noticable issues or road noise while driving. What's your experience with tires?

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I can't tell from the photo/angle, are you saying the tires look deformed?

3. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Have you had your alignment checked?

4. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I rotated at 12K because my rears were noticably wearing faster. Your tread looks great for your mileage IMO

5. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

It's hard to tell but the tire looks lopsided (bigger on the right side on the bottom tire in picture).

6. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

Yes, by Tesla but it all they did was Take the car for a drive. The lopsidedness Appears to be the case in all tires as they won't just stand upright without being proped up underneath.

7. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

Yes, that tire thread wear looks great! Hope others can achieve similar results.

8. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Do you just use use 2 jacks to rotate?

9. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

Yes, I end up lifting car 3 times on both jacks. Takes about 45-50 mins but not difficult, just time consuming.

• Like x 1
  10. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

I have only one low profile Jack, I'm hoping my regular profile Jack will fit under the car after jacking up the other side with the low profile Jack.

11. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Get a tread depth gauge and check.
    Are they all tipping over toward the heavier side (face) of the wheel?

12. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

Yes, all tires and yes, towards the face. I see what you did there when you said towards heavier side. That might be it.

13. lolder

lolder Member

#13 lolder, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Just measured my Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45R18 98W on LR RWD at 6900 miles. Tread depth new is rated at 6.5 mm. LF averaged 6.0 mm, RF 6.0 mm, LR 5.75 mm, RR 5.63 mm. No more than 0.5 mm difference across any tread which is almost as close as you can measure. South Florida old-lady driving with a few demonstrations. Projected life prorated to 2.4 mm ( 3/32") tread depth is about 38K miles.

Incremental cost per mile $ 0.025/m for electricity at $ 0.10/kwh and $ 0.025/m at $1000/tire set at 40k miles for a total of 5 cents/mile. Ok, so maybe 6 cents.

$ 0.10/kwh is my incremental electricity cost from Lee County Electric Co-operative, a rural electricity co-op.

• Love x 2
    • Informative x 1
  14. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

you may want to put above message into separate thread, really good info.

15. WallyP

WallyP Member

I'm currenly 18K miles on Pirelli P Zero Nero GT 235/40/R19 and the (even) wear is at 5/32. I've rotated three times, 45 PSI, and drive conservatively in warm SoCal conditions.

Hoping to squeeze out another 2-3K miles and then replace them with Michelin MXM4 Primacies to take advantage of the current discount prices/rebates, and also the 55K warranty. Hopefully a quieter ride as well, but overall no complaints with the Pirelli's.

16. insaneoctane

I'm underwhelmed with my stock Michelin MXM4 Primacies regarding road noise....

17. lolder

lolder Member

#17 lolder, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Have you compared it with other tires on this car? It's the only noise you can hear and with 40+ psi in the tires road texture is very important in how much noise is made. All low rolling resistance tires have hard tread. Less effort (and expense) went into reducing road noise in the M3 compared to the S and X. Over the years I have paid close attention to fuel economy and tire wear in pure ICE cars, hybrids and now an EV. All the cars happened to come with Michelins. Experimenting with other brands led me back to the Michelin LRR all-seasons. I live in Florida so I only have one season and I understand that if you have to drive in snow you'll need snow tires. The other alternative is not to go to work when the roads are snowy and to leave early when it starts. If you're in a cushy job like that it sure cuts down on the winter accident exposure.

I did drive in NJ for 25 years, sometimes at up to 150 mph in my airliners. They had reverse thrust. Maybe the new roadster will have that.

I had one ice accident in NJ in a 1968 Volvo; slid into the back of another car at about 3 mph at an icy toll both. No damage to the othe car. They had bumpers then.

18. insaneoctane

Nope. My comment is based on 15K miles on the stock tires. I do not think that for acoustic tires I should hear so much road noise.

19. lolder

lolder Member

#19 lolder, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    The S and X have acoustic tires. Does the M3? There are 4 part numbers for that tire and only 1 , 16144 has acoustic lining. I can't read any part number on the outside of my tires. I don't have the acoustic logo either. I see the TO after the tire size may mean Tesla Acoustic Tech.

20. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

According to tire rack, yes, for all sizes.