Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire thread life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CA0A6B04-1305-4839-A6E9-7AA0B1464090.jpeg 9E00ED8A-8ADD-4499-AAEB-502A5317CBEC.jpeg

Just did 3rd tire rotation as we hit ~18500 miles. Thread looks good but tires seem lopsided. We are in Florida with speed limits of 70mph in places and drive pretty fast with occasional fast acceleration. No noticable issues or road noise while driving. What's your experience with tires?

Just measured my Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45R18 98W on LR RWD at 6900 miles. Tread depth new is rated at 6.5 mm. LF averaged 6.0 mm, RF 6.0 mm, LR 5.75 mm, RR 5.63 mm. No more than 0.5 mm difference across any tread which is almost as close as you can measure. South Florida old-lady driving with a few demonstrations. Projected life prorated to 2.4 mm ( 3/32") tread depth is about 38K miles.

Incremental cost per mile $ 0.025/m for electricity at $ 0.10/kwh and $ 0.025/m at $1000/tire set at 40k miles for a total of 5 cents/mile. Ok, so maybe 6 cents.

$ 0.10/kwh is my incremental electricity cost from Lee County Electric Co-operative, a rural electricity co-op.

Last edited:
Just measured my Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/45R18 98W on LR RWD at 6900 miles. Tread depth new is rated at 6.5 mm. LF averaged 6.0 mm, RF 6.0 mm, LR 5.75 mm, RR 5.63 mm. No more than 0.5 mm difference across any tread which is almost as close as you can measure. South Florida old-lady driving with a few demonstrations. Projected life prorated to 2.4 mm ( 3/32") tread depth is about 38K miles.

Incremental cost per mile $ 0.025/m for electricity at $ 0.10/kwh and $ 0.025/m at $1000/tire set at 40k miles for a total of 5 cents/mile. Ok, so maybe 6 cents.

$ 0.10/kwh is my incremental electricity cost from Lee County Electric Co-operative, a rural electricity co-op.

you may want to put above message into separate thread, really good info.

I'm currenly 18K miles on Pirelli P Zero Nero GT 235/40/R19 and the (even) wear is at 5/32. I've rotated three times, 45 PSI, and drive conservatively in warm SoCal conditions.

Hoping to squeeze out another 2-3K miles and then replace them with Michelin MXM4 Primacies to take advantage of the current discount prices/rebates, and also the 55K warranty. Hopefully a quieter ride as well, but overall no complaints with the Pirelli's.

I'm underwhelmed with my stock Michelin MXM4 Primacies regarding road noise....
Have you compared it with other tires on this car? It's the only noise you can hear and with 40+ psi in the tires road texture is very important in how much noise is made. All low rolling resistance tires have hard tread. Less effort (and expense) went into reducing road noise in the M3 compared to the S and X. Over the years I have paid close attention to fuel economy and tire wear in pure ICE cars, hybrids and now an EV. All the cars happened to come with Michelins. Experimenting with other brands led me back to the Michelin LRR all-seasons. I live in Florida so I only have one season and I understand that if you have to drive in snow you'll need snow tires. The other alternative is not to go to work when the roads are snowy and to leave early when it starts. If you're in a cushy job like that it sure cuts down on the winter accident exposure.

I did drive in NJ for 25 years, sometimes at up to 150 mph in my airliners. They had reverse thrust. Maybe the new roadster will have that.

I had one ice accident in NJ in a 1968 Volvo; slid into the back of another car at about 3 mph at an icy toll both. No damage to the othe car. They had bumpers then.

Last edited:
The S and X have acoustic tires. Does the M3? There are 4 part numbers for that tire and only 1 , 16144 has acoustic lining. I can't read any part number on the outside of my tires. I don't have the acoustic logo either. I see the TO after the tire size may mean Tesla Acoustic Tech.

Last edited: