TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tire-to-tire width comparison between 20 inch and 22 inch wheels

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by hiroshiy, Sep 25, 2017.

1. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Supporting Member

Hi, I unfortunately had an accident (P100D with 20 inch wheels) that would cause my car to be at the service center (and body shop) for at least three months, and decided to purchase a new inventory car with almost exactly same options except with 22 inch wheels. I plan to sell my old P100D once it comes back from repair.

Previously with 20 inch wheels, the car "barely" fits most Japanese outside parkings. We call them coin parkings, basically parking space with enforced automated billing system. You can't get out without paying. You get the idea with this link:

コインパーキング - Bing images

As you can see there is a mechanical flap and supporting structure, and Model X barely fits between the flap and the supporting structure for the adjacent space. I mean I can't exceed this space as it will damage the rims and/or invade into other people's space. I could use two spaces and pay double, but that looks really bad.

Now my question. Is the tire-to-tire width wider with 22 inch than with 20 inch? If so I have to sell 22 inch wheels right after purchasing this inventory car.

2. skilly

skilly Member

the difference is 0.4" or approximately 1cm

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 8.42.46 AM.png

• Like x 1
  3. hiroshiy

Thanks. Are you talking about the difference of circumference? I was talking about the car width, measured from the left tire to the right tire.

4. skilly

skilly Member

You can see that the only variable would be tire width. With offset remaining the same you would be faced with a 1” wider stance, worst case. What is more likely is that they offset is slightly different reducing the total stance change to about half of that.

• Like x 1
  5. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I think he is talking about a single tire width so you'd have to double that for the car width.

If you happen to be right on the edge and a mm matters you could pump the tiers up to sidewall max to reduce deformation (make the tires taller and skinnier at rest). Play with tire pressure higher and lower and take measurements at the height or heights you are concerned about and see what works best.

• Like x 1
  6. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Guys, @hiroshiy is asking about the total car width, measured from the left-side of the left tire to the right-side of the right tire. Do I need to attach a picture?

I have 20" wheels and I notice that the wheel well right about the tires sticks out a few millimetres past the tires, so in my case, the absolute widest point doesn't include the wheels.

If the 22" wheels are a little wider, they may sit flush with the wheel well, depending on how they're mounted. For example, if they are 0.4" wider and it is centered, then they would extend 0.2" beyond the 20" wheels, and may sit flush with the wheel well's widest point.

It would just be easier if someone with 22" wheels measured the width of the X. That said, it's not an easy thing to measure...

• Helpful x 1
  7. M.V.P.

M.V.P. Member

Guys - the width between the outer sidewalls from left to right tires should be no different between the 20" and 22" factory rims. This is because the offset on the 22" rims is different and therefore compensates by positioning the tire & rim more inward into the wheel wells. This allows you have a wider tire without them sticking out beyond the factory fenders.

However, individual tire wdiths will be about 0.4" (1 cm) wider, as already mentioned in an earlier post.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. skilly

skilly Member

but you made it sound better than me! ;)

9. skilly

skilly Member

to put this to rest. the offset and width of rims for each OEM option are exactly the same;

Front: 9" width; 35MM offset
    Rear: 10" width; 40MM offset

This means that the total difference in width at the tread will be 0.4" - half of the total width increase will be placed on the inner facing tire wall. So it will be .2" (left + right) = 0.4" total.

• Informative x 1
  10. hiroshiy

Thanks, @skilly for your help. I think I now understand that I need 0.2 inch or 0.5 cm more space on both sides. With 0.5cm I will be rubbing tires against the mechanical parts...