Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Tread Life vs. Your Driving Style

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm seeing there's a big range of reports of tire tread life. Speaking only of the original tires on the M3s, I see ranges of tires wearing out from 16K to 40K.

I like to punch my acceleration at every opportunity (it never gets old), and I am now replacing my tires after 23K miles.

Please report when you had to replace your tires and what kind of driving you do (especially regarding acceleration).

Thanks.

Well your post is timely, as I literally just finished rotating my tires at the recommended 6000 mile interval. I’m at just under 18,000 miles with about 2 full years of ownership. Like you, I still find myself a little immature and stomping on the accelerator at every opportunity where I’m lucky enough to be in the front row of a stop light. So, pretty much at least one hard acceleration on every drive. No, it really never does get old! :cool:

Other than this frequent straight line acceleration, my driving style is fairly pedestrian (I don’t ”race” or track the vehicle, and don’t push it hard around any corners). Here are a couple of pics I just snapped of my tires and one showing my MPP suspension set-up. As you can see, I got lots of tread life left. I’m expecting at least 40-50K miles before I really need to replace these tires.

326B9FD4-8EB1-4CC1-9BF2-4B40B3FA2336.jpeg

0AFF533D-0144-4603-9D3F-3965D0DF59E0.jpeg

81851F1B-29D9-443A-9A06-189218919214.jpeg

This thread is a bit redundant to be honest. This is well documented. 18" Michelin's are going to last you 15k-30k miles. 19" Continental's will last 25k-50k miles. 20" PS4S is in the middle, figure 20k-35k miles.

Rotations are definitely more important on the RWD models, but still needed on the Dual Motor. Yearly alignments are a great idea to prevent unexpected edge wear.

Obviously, the more aggressive you drive the shorter the lifespan of the tires. My current set of tires will last about 3.5 hours. But they are 200TW tires being driven on the track.

I wore out my MXM4s in <10K miles
Me too…. I’ve never gotten more than 12k miles on any tire on any car or truck I’ve owned. Folks getting 20+k should feel good, or they do a lot of extended driving.

I’m almost always in town, short trips. Fast take off, fast turn in and out. Not really into drifting or burnouts, but my tires don’t last.

My SR+ rears were on the wear bars at 6k miles when I sold it last month for a M-3 Performance. I have no expectation of getting over 10k from these. We’ll see…

Always start with alignment for tread life. Being in spec does not mean you have the best alignment for tread life, but lots are out of spec without knowing it, even with brand new cars. Asking people their tread life and their street driving style is not very meaningful without knowing if they have a good alignment (and they don't know themselves usually).

I was advised by a pal to get my brand new (05/21) LRAWD aligned ASAP.

Car drove straight, but felt squirrelly. Tesla confirmed and did a wheel alignment, found the toe to be out of spec and fixed it right up.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure: if I had blown though my tires because of the toe alignment doubt I could have gotten any satisfaction from Tesla nor Michellin.

That being said, I can't wait to get rid of these OEM tires and upgrade.