Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire valve stem not long enough to add air to tire with aero hub caps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my car this week, and wanted to adjust the tire pressure in 1 tire.
My digital tire gauge fit over the valve just fine, but just made it because they do not protrude out too far.
However, I use a hand bike pump to add air to my tires but with the aero hubs on the car the locking mechanism on the pump would not go far enough over the valve to lock on and so I could not use the bike pump this way. I took off the aero hub cap to expose more of the valve. This is going to be a pain every time I want to check the air pressure. Maybe I need a different air pump.
Anyone else have this problem and solution without removing aero hub cap?

Swipe left on the screen near the bottom of the car-diagram and your TPMS readings will show for all four tires. Only need to remove the hub caps to add air(if needed).

I also have a bike pump that I sometimes use to add air(to my 2018 3) and have no trouble with the aero caps. I wonder if the 2021's made it more difficult.

Swipe left on the screen near the bottom of the car-diagram and your TPMS readings will show for all four tires. Only need to remove the hub caps to add air(if needed).

I also have a bike pump that I sometimes use to add air(to my 2018 3) and have no trouble with the aero caps. I wonder if the 2021's made it more difficult.
Tesla changed the design on the aero hubs for 2021. Wonder if it is a combination of a shorter valve and/or the redesigned aero hub. My bike pump will not fit on the valve because the either the valve is too short or the design of the aero hub does not let you fully engulf the valve and lock it on.

From a former car I have an electric air pump that attaches to the 12v battery of a car, but I cannot even find where the 12v battery is in this car.

From a former car I have an electric air pump that attaches to the 12v battery of a car, but I cannot even find where the 12v battery is in this car.

Did you check your owners manual? Page 198 of the manual I find online tells you how to jump start a model 3 using the 12V (which of course shows the location of the 12V battery).

Its probably a slightly different page in your manual, but i guarantee its in there.

Did you check your owners manual? Page 198 of the manual I find online tells you how to jump start a model 3 using the 12V (which of course shows the location of the 12V battery).

Its probably a slightly different page in your manual, but i guarantee its in there.
Thank you JJ

Question if I have an air tire inflator/compressor that needs to be connect to the terminal of the cars 12v battery, can I use the Tesla Model 3 battery to do this? I ask this because it states you cannot use our 12v battery to charge another car.

Thank you JJ

Question if I have an air tire inflator/compressor that needs to be connect to the terminal of the cars 12v battery, can I use the Tesla Model 3 battery to do this? I ask this because it states you cannot use our 12v battery to charge another car.

That, I am not sure of... but I have a portable air compressor that connects via the power adapter in the car (what us old people used to call the cigarette lighter), that works fine. The one I have through the cigarette lighter (power adapter) in the car might pull less power than yours, though.

I think it would depend on how much power your compressor is pulling.

That, I am not sure of... but I have a portable air compressor that connects via the power adapter in the car (what us old people used to call the cigarette lighter), that works fine. The one I have through the cigarette lighter (power adapter) in the car might pull less power than yours, though.

I think it would depend on how much power your compressor is pulling.
Rather be safe than sorry, I ordered the Tesla Tire Repair kit for $60
I will find a home for the other one which I ordered on Amazon a few years ago.

I know this is an old thread, but I just found it and wanted to post in case anyone else is still looking for a solution. I had the same problem with my digital tire inflator not being able to attach to the valve stem due to the aero cover hitting it. I carefully used a Dremel and a sanding drum to make the holes in the aero covers larger so my tire gauge / inflator would lock on. The holes obviously look larger, but I personally do not think it is that obvious. I attached a before and a few after pics, including one with the gauge locked on to the valve stem.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 451
  • After1.jpg
    After1.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 212
  • After2.jpg
    After2.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 196
  • After3.jpg
    After3.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: XPsionic
You may be able to find a Schrader Valve extension that could work. It would have to have a narrow barrel though. I want to say I had a harbor freight compressor that just a screw on hose with a narrow barrel. The compressor sucked, but the adapter worked well.