Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Warranty? Other brands?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Tesla Model 3, purchased in October of that year (so just over a year old), only a little over 5,000 miles on it. (as I'm retired, not commuting)

One of my tires (right rear) has a slow leak now. I pump it up to the required 42 PSI. Next day still there, but after a few days it is down to 28 PSI or so and I get the tire pressure low message. (Even if I have not or only slightly drove it in between.) I have the sport wheels on it, 19" V2.

So I should replace that tire? Since I don't think I punctured the tire on anything, it seems to me it might have been a defective tire to begin with, to already have a slow leak after not much time and not much mileage. Could it be covered by the car's warranty?

If not, in replacing it, do I need to get the same brand as the other three tires? I called a Firestone tire place, and they only have in stock in that size the Firestone brand, which he said has the same speed rating. (costs $275 installedd) Is that tire fine, or should I try to get the same as the other three?

Thanks in advance.

It probably wouldn’t really hurt anything to buy just one tire with the only only at 5k. However, conventional wisdom suggests buying new tires in pairs to ensure there are no unexpected discrepancies in left/right traction limits, etc.

That said, it is MUCH more likely you happened to catch a small pin or nail that has been difficult to see, than it is the tire suddenly started suffering from an unseen defect 14 months after original delivery. I’d see if a tire shop can repair it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2 and maiki
Update. There was a nail in my tire. I brought it to two places though, and both said that the location of the nail (I think he said near the side wall) would make it impossible to repair. So, the 2nd place, a Firestone place, had their own Firestone brand of that tire, and sold me one. (Just under $277 installled). Good price? True, that some nail locations make it impossible to repair? Are the Firestone tires for Teslas any good?

Unlike the lack if tire warranty from Tesla, I was told this tire is warrantied for five years. If it needs repair they will do it for free. If it needs replacement for any reason (including a similarly place nail). they will replace it with a pro-rated warranty (depending on how long it has been.)

Seems reasonable enough. Tire sidewalls are not built as robustly as the tread face, and thus a failure induced by a puncture is much more likely to be catastrophic. Thus, no repairs for punctures too close to the sidewall.

Also, if there is an auto manufacturer out there who would pay to replace a tire damaged by a nail 14 months after purchase, that incentive only exists because they otherwise make terrible vehicles and need side perks to stay in the black :p .

*edit*

Most shops will do repairs for free, though maybe the warranty does cover additional caveats like faster-than-expected tire wear or blowouts. Tire shops repair tires for free because they want you to remember the favor (*ahem* “positive experience”) the next time you think “tire.”

Reactions: maiki