TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tire Warranty?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by MurrayJimW, Jun 22, 2017.

1. MurrayJimW

MurrayJimW Member

I picked up a new S on Friday. Since Friday I've had to inflate the left front tire twice. It seems to be losing about 5lbs a day. The delivery guy inflated it upon delivery as well. I called service this morning to ask them what to do about this and they told me to use a local tire place (I'm 100 miles from the closest service center). He also said there was no warranty on tires. I completely understand if there is no warranty on tires, but the car has 150 miles on it and this problem was obviously present upon delivery as evidenced by them filling it up right before I left. I have not had this serviced yet. Has anyone had experience with this? Am I truly on the hook for a new tire if they shipped me a defective one? I never heard of such. Every other car I've owned came with a separate tire warranty from the manufacturer on a new vehicle.

2. Science fan

Science fan Member

What I would do is contact the Tesla ranger and tell them you have an unsafe tire. They should come to your house and replace it with a spare tire and wheel, then they should bring your tire and wheel to the nearest Tesla Service Center. The SC should then repair or replace it at no cost to you (you would inform the service manager there of the circumstances). It would be beyond irresponsible if they were to insist on charging you for the repair or new tire. Under the circumstances, the Tesla road ranger should then come to your house to replace the wheel and new tire on your car for you.

• Like x 1
  3. MurrayJimW

MurrayJimW Member

Thanks - read this after going to the tire shop as Tesla instructed. The tire required a patch which necessitated the removal of a large bit of foam from the tire. Worse than that is the rather harsh clicking noise now present whenever the car turns left. I have called Tesla again and they are picking up the car tomorrow. No loaner available and probably won't see it again until Monday - so much for the honeymoon....

4. Tam

Tam Active Member

Tesla does not offer tire road hazard warranty.

That means once your car is in your possession, you are on the hook to fix a tire puncture.

While you were at the delivery, If you could ask Tesla to test out for potential air leaks, it would be on Tesla.

5. MurrayJimW

MurrayJimW Member

I wasn't looking for a road hazard warranty. I don't know if any new car comes with that. I was more concerned that the car was apparently delivered with the defect and I was concerned initially that it was a defective tire. I did not wish to buy a new tire and replace one that had 152 miles on it.

6. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

Discount Tire will sell a road hazard warranty on new tires. They did for me. Hope that helps for future.

7. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Tesla in good faith should give you a new tire even if they legally don't have to. It's just good customer service to take care of this issue given you have had it since day 1 and especially considering they had to add air during delivery which is a good indication you weee delivered the car with the issue. Anything less is just poor customer service.

8. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Then why not contact a local tire store that handles that brand like you would if you had bought with any other new vehicle?