TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tire Warranty?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by MurrayJimW, Jun 22, 2017.

1. MurrayJimW

MurrayJimW Member

I picked up a new S on Friday. Since Friday I've had to inflate the left front tire twice. It seems to be losing about 5lbs a day. The delivery guy inflated it upon delivery as well. I called service this morning to ask them what to do about this and they told me to use a local tire place (I'm 100 miles from the closest service center). He also said there was no warranty on tires. I completely understand if there is no warranty on tires, but the car has 150 miles on it and this problem was obviously present upon delivery as evidenced by them filling it up right before I left. I have not had this serviced yet. Has anyone had experience with this? Am I truly on the hook for a new tire if they shipped me a defective one? I never heard of such. Every other car I've owned came with a separate tire warranty from the manufacturer on a new vehicle.

2. Science fan

Science fan Member

What I would do is contact the Tesla ranger and tell them you have an unsafe tire. They should come to your house and replace it with a spare tire and wheel, then they should bring your tire and wheel to the nearest Tesla Service Center. The SC should then repair or replace it at no cost to you (you would inform the service manager there of the circumstances). It would be beyond irresponsible if they were to insist on charging you for the repair or new tire. Under the circumstances, the Tesla road ranger should then come to your house to replace the wheel and new tire on your car for you.

• Like x 1
  3. MurrayJimW

MurrayJimW Member

Thanks - read this after going to the tire shop as Tesla instructed. The tire required a patch which necessitated the removal of a large bit of foam from the tire. Worse than that is the rather harsh clicking noise now present whenever the car turns left. I have called Tesla again and they are picking up the car tomorrow. No loaner available and probably won't see it again until Monday - so much for the honeymoon....

4. Tam

Tam Active Member

Tesla does not offer tire road hazard warranty.

That means once your car is in your possession, you are on the hook to fix a tire puncture.

While you were at the delivery, If you could ask Tesla to test out for potential air leaks, it would be on Tesla.

5. MurrayJimW

MurrayJimW Member

I wasn't looking for a road hazard warranty. I don't know if any new car comes with that. I was more concerned that the car was apparently delivered with the defect and I was concerned initially that it was a defective tire. I did not wish to buy a new tire and replace one that had 152 miles on it.

6. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

Discount Tire will sell a road hazard warranty on new tires. They did for me. Hope that helps for future.

7. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

Tesla in good faith should give you a new tire even if they legally don't have to. It's just good customer service to take care of this issue given you have had it since day 1 and especially considering they had to add air during delivery which is a good indication you weee delivered the car with the issue. Anything less is just poor customer service.

• Like x 1
  8. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Then why not contact a local tire store that handles that brand like you would if you had bought with any other new vehicle?

9. Daniellane

Daniellane Member

I purchased a hazard warranty today from Discount Tires (less than $125 including tax) for stock tires (19” wheels) on my Model S 90D (took delivery end of June) Fix or replace. Not prorated.
    He quoted $210 for a warranty Michelin Staggered SuperSports on the Arachnid 21” Wheels that I have coming from the Referral Program.

10. kort677

kort677 Active Member

tesla and afaik no other manufacturer gives any warranty on the tires that they put onto their cars, that said the tires should be covered by whomever supplied the tires. I would think that tesla would help you navigate to the tire manufacturer to get you some relief from this faulty tire.

11. Barry

Barry Active Member

I got $80/tire back on the tread wear warranty on my OEM MXM4's (28K miles to 3/32) through Discount Tire, when I replaced them. Tesla will not help you with this.

12. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Bpught Michelin summer tires from Tesla. They didn’t last 10,000 miles. Michelin is providing a credit towards new tires as a percentage of their 20,000 mile warranty. My local service center got involved by supplying the treadwear and sales data directly to Michelin. According to Michelin if the service center kept the old tires and sent them back to the manufacturer then the service center could’ve given me the credit directly and they would receive their credit upon Michelin’s receipt of the old tires. Since my service center did not have the old tires I don’t know for sure if they would have participated in the warranty financially. (my local tire shop has the old tires now and I did not ask them to get involved at all )

13. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

Did you read the OP? Tesla knew there was a problem because they had to top off that tire at delivery.

14. Sawyer8888

Sawyer8888 Member

While car manufacturers may not offer tire warranties, the manufacturer of the tire just might be able to help even without addition roadside coverage.

In my experience, Michelin is among the best in offering full replacement within 12 months of ownership without an additional road hazard plan. Should your tire be defective (conditions apply) or if you somehow experience a sidewall puncture, Michelin will take care of it. The latter happened to me 6 months after buying my previous car and they stepped up and replaced the tire without any hassle.

I would completely expect help from Tesla in this case given that the issue was noted at delivery. Ultimately, it sounds like that was the case. Glad it worked out, even if they didn't give you a loaner for your first weekend of ownership <-- should have though.

15. Tam

Tam Active Member

If Tesla covers road hazards, that's not a problem.

But since it doesn't, how can you prove that Tesla is responsible for it?

That's why I would refuse to take delivery so Tesla can fix the tire.

The other alternative is to take ownership of the tires then come back to Tesla to convince them that they clearly knew the tire was bad prior to delivery.

If so, I would better have good proof such as videotaping of Tesla guy who was inflating the tire prior to delivery.

Even with that proof, Tesla could claim that it's their routine to inflate all tires to standard pressure....

Of course I could go to court but the time, cost and effort... would be much more than if I had just preemptively have Tesla to fix it prior to take ownership.

16. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

The point is that air had to be added at delivery. What conversation transpired about that isn't known, but it absolutely shows that Tesla knew or should have known the tire might have a problem.

17. Tam

Tam Active Member

There is no question from this thread that Tesla should be held responsible for the air-leaking tire.

The issue is how would that be handled:

1) Accept the delivery then go back to Tesla 4 days later to convince that it's Tesla responsibility. It's 4 days later, how can I prove that the incidence happen? My words on this thread against Tesla's?

2) Question onsite why the tire needs additional air and request an integrity check on it prior to delivery.

18. kort677

kort677 Active Member

sorry but I do not share your view, there are few if any car manufacturers that offer warranties on the tires delivered on their cars, you need to deal with whomever provided the tires.

19. tpham07

tpham07 Member

Tesla should replace the tire for you to be nice but they're not obliged to give you a free one. They didn't make the tire. It sucks you have to deal with this, but this could happen on any vehicle.

20. Daniellane

Daniellane Member

#20 Daniellane, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2017
    I have had terrible luck with oem tires and tires purchased from dealer. Had an issue with a tire on a brand new Lexus. Dealer told me it was a sidewall puncture (not repairable or covered by any warranty). I purchased a new tire from the dealer. Huge mistake. Unbelievably, I got another sidewall puncture in the replacement tire with same consequences. Now, I try to purchase a hazard warranty that covers sidewall punctures on new cars from Discount Tires. I generally try to purchase new tires from Costco because they provide a hazard warranty.
    Premature wear is a different story and should be covered by the manufacturer.