Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire wear 2021 Model 3 LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems hard to win to buy a Tesla to save money.

First, the car costs more than an ICE equivalent. Then it does have unexpected higher costs such as more expensive tires that wear faster.

You miss the cost of engine oil changes, but the annual cost of cleaning out the mold from your AC coils costs 3 times as an oil change. Then there's still 4 other fluids, like other ICE cars that need changing. And they have an odd, risky, and expensive AC desiccant change in the maintenance schedule.

Then most people get hit with a much higher insurance bill, "because it's a Tesla."

Repairs are much more expensive than an ICE car for things like body work, cracked windshield and glass roof replacements, and out of warranty issues. Tesla has an Apple-style monopoly approach that keeps 3rd party competition suppressed, and their labor and parts prices high.

But it's a fun car, just not the ticket to an early retirement.

I had an IS350 F-sport prior to my M3P and it cost far more in terms of maintenance. It ate through tires every 15k and brakes every 20k. I had oil changes, radiator flushes, and my annual fuel bill was $3k per year due to high cost of premium. In 2 years, i've spent $1500 on tires (PS4s) and $40 worth of air filters (and my AC still smells good) and $0 cost in fuel ($1,000 of electricity if I didn't have solar). In 2 years with the Lexus it ate through the $2500 in tires, $500 of brakes, $300 in oil changes and other liquids that needed changing and $6000 of premium gas. This is the cheapest car i've every owned.

I had an IS350 F-sport prior to my M3P and it cost far more in terms of maintenance. It ate through tires every 15k and brakes every 20k. I had oil changes, radiator flushes, and my annual fuel bill was $3k per year due to high cost of premium. In 2 years, i've spent $1500 on tires (PS4s) and $40 worth of air filters (and my AC still smells good) and $0 cost in fuel ($1,000 of electricity if I didn't have solar). In 2 years with the Lexus it ate through the $2500 in tires, $500 of brakes, $300 in oil changes and other liquids that needed changing and $6000 of premium gas. This is the cheapest car i've every owned.

And I have a Lamborghini that costs a lot more than my Tesla to run, except insurance, but compare the Tesla to something that is more in line with the Model 3, like a Civic.

Good Morning,

I am a excited newbie, my model 3 is supposed to be delivered in early Oct.
My question is about tire wear. I am concerned of reports of tires only lasting 30 K miles. Does anyone have any stats on this wear issue?
With my daily commute, i will have to get a new set every two years, which kinda offsets any maintenance costs savings versus a ICE, though i think i will be still ahead with using electricity versus gas

I am not a fast driver, or a quick accelerator, and will be putting the car immediately in chill mode when i get it.
LOL, my sweet summer child. "Only 30k miles"... It's more like 20k.

Reactions: pipestem
Bad boi here, I do seasonals, and lucky to have a set, esp the summer ones, for longer than 8k miles.
But when ligths turn green I have to cross the set across the intersection before the cars behind them
even start rolling.

I have very strict criteria, if the wear is even a fraction below what is allowed I swap, my family's safety
comes before savings. My tires are DE, FR, or JP manufactured, no bargain generics for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2
I replaced my 18" OEM Michelins tires at 24K miles, and they were pretty tired.
Put on winter Michelins X-ice tires on the aero rims and they work great for the wet, snow, and ice.
In the spring I've put on 19" rims with summer rims with Continental PureContacts. Both sets holding up well after additional 30K miles and being seasonally swapped.

As far as maintenance beyond tires goes, I've replaced cabin air filters twice ($75) in 54K miles and replaced 12VDC battery ($85) last fall before it caused problems or failed.

I'm interested in your experience with that tire. I have had dedicated winter tires for both cars for years prior but I am done with that hassle. My wife and I are both retired so if it gets really bad we just stay home. I'd just like something that would be a little better in winter. Also I find this concept of an oval contact patch interesting.
I don’t have enough experience with these yet. I find the performance about the same - maybe a little louder than the OEMs, but to tell you the truth that may be just the new vs. worn tread. If they hold up I would buy them again.

As for winter tires, I agree with the hassle of winter tires. I grew up in upstate NY and did my first year of college in upper WI. Except for one year with snows I always drove all winter with just all-season tires and had no problems. Given this car’s weight distribution and all wheel drive I wouldn’t hesitate to drive these tires in the snow.

I replaced my 18" OEM Michelins tires at 24K miles, and they were pretty tired.

I got 28.5k on my oem tires. New set of primacy tour a/s goes on tomorrow. Wear was very even. Fronts worn more (yeah, I flunked rotating), and rears are not very far behind. We all knew this going in - it's a powerful and heavy car. I'll live with it. I would like to know what's been the average wear.

I got 28.5k on my oem tires. New set of primacy tour a/s goes on tomorrow. Wear was very even. Fronts worn more (yeah, I flunked rotating), and rears are not very far behind. We all knew this going in - it's a powerful and heavy car. I'll live with it. I would like to know what's been the average wear.
How long tire lasts depends on number of factors. too many to list, but getting 30k miles seems a good ballpark. I only have one original tire out of 4, as other 3 got nailed. Not sure what to pick for my AWS 19's when pretty soon ill need to replace it. Likely as others said what eats the most rubber is going from stop to start driving.

Yes, it highly depends on your driving style. Here's my 2 cents. the original tires only last about 25k, it was new car, new experience, accelerator was floored quite often. I've heard some OEM tires last more than 40k. I switched to Michelin Tires Pilot Sport All Season 4, and rotated every 10k. It has been 20k that I don't see any abnormal wear like the OEM yet. But I've been more gentle in most cases now after the excitement of having a new, fast car.

2019 LR AWD here. Just replaced my tires in OCT 2021 with 31490 miles on them. I drive mixed, both quick at times and like a grandma. I would say 90% easy, and 10% bat outta hell or punching it off the line. Rotated tires once a year. All tires wore out correctly and evenly.