Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire wear after first 4,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has stock 21" wheels and the Pilot Sport 2 tires straight from the factory.

After 4,000 miles here's the current tread depth

Left Front: 8/32 (Outer) 9/32 (Center) 7/32 (Inner)
Right Front: 8/32 (Outer) 9/32 (Center) 7/32 (Inner)
Left Rear: 6/32 (Outer) 8/32 (Center) 5/32 (Inner)
Right Rear: 7/32 (Outer) 8/32 (Center) 5/32 (Inner)

Not too thrilled about the inner wear, anyone recommend a good tire shop in San Diego to get these wheels better tuned?

I shredded through a whole set in 4000 miles (inner only). Just part of the Bad Boy wheels game :cool:

Not much you can do short of adjusting how you drive and getting the camber reduced, the latter of which has all sorts of repercussions.

Are you square or staggered? If square and if your front camber is reasonable like -0.6, then you should be able to make them last quite a while.

What's your rear camber?

Reactions: MrJones390
I shredded through a whole set in 4000 miles (inner only). Just part of the Bad Boy wheels game :cool:

Not much you can do short of adjusting how you drive and getting the camber reduced, the latter of which has all sorts of repercussions.
Toe is actually the issue (as well as how you drive). The camber just amplifies whatever toe problems exist. Think of it like speed. speed doesn't cause accidents but it makes it much worse if you have one.

Reactions: MrJones390
Are you square or staggered? If square and if your front camber is reasonable like -0.6, then you should be able to make them last quite a while.

What's your rear camber?

I just realized I left off the main point of my response which is if you have a square setup and your front camber is not too negative, then regular front to back tire rotation can overcome much of the wear caused by excessive negative camber in the rear.

My car has stock 21" wheels and the Pilot Sport 2 tires straight from the factory.

Not too thrilled about the inner wear, anyone recommend a good tire shop in San Diego to get these wheels better tuned?

Tesla mounting "aftermarket tires" (also check out this tire wear!!!)

I have 13,000 miles on 21 inch wheels and run at 45psi, and the wear is even across the tread.

edit: actually just recalled mine are Contislient 5 not Mich. Still the indication is that you are under pressure, not point worrying too much about alignment until you get the pressures right, though if you can get it checked for free no harm in that.

The OP has more tire wear at the rear, and the P90D has a larger motor in the rear, so the increased rear tire wear could be from use of the "right foot", or it begs a question I've been meaning to ask.

My i3 is RWD and I went through a set of tires in 16,000mi at which point the rear tires were down to 2.2mm. I attributed this to the fact that with RWD, the rear wheels are doing all the regen braking which with lots of around town driving is a lot braking; totally the opposite of an ICE where the front wheels take the braking wear.

I was curious if the Tesla AWD regen front and rear, or only rear. If only rear, or biased to the rear due to the larger motor aft, then the rear tire wear would be from both the GO pedal, and the regen.

The OP has more tire wear at the rear, and the P90D has a larger motor in the rear, so the increased rear tire wear could be from use of the "right foot", or it begs a question I've been meaning to ask.

My i3 is RWD and I went through a set of tires in 16,000mi at which point the rear tires were down to 2.2mm. I attributed this to the fact that with RWD, the rear wheels are doing all the regen braking which with lots of around town driving is a lot braking; totally the opposite of an ICE where the front wheels take the braking wear.

I was curious if the Tesla AWD regen front and rear, or only rear. If only rear, or biased to the rear due to the larger motor aft, then the rear tire wear would be from both the GO pedal, and the regen.

I believe it's all traced back to camber, and the inability to properly adjust it in the rear. Aftermarket upper control links have been developed to solve the problem.

Upper Rear Link Build (Reduces rear camber to improve tire wear)

You need adjustable camber links on the rear. This has nothing to do with tire pressure. It's all about the camber and maybe toe on the rear. See the threads on rear camber -- there are a bunch.

At 3,500 Miles I rotated my 4 Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S-04's
Here are the tread depths Outside, Center, Inside in 32nds"

Passenger Rear 8 9 9
Passenger Front 8 9 9
Drivers Rear 9 9 9
Drivers Front 8 9 8.5

These are soft summer performance tires and when new measures 10/32"
I am running 45 PSI in each tire, measured weekly.