Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Wear experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there is something weird between the normal model
and the "P" model regarding the brake calipers and the offset...
Parking brake? Number of calipers?

Nothing wierd is going on. The P model X has a „main“ caliper and separate parking brake caliper. Just like the Model S had since the beginning,
The non P model X now has the parking brake integrated into the main caliper and it is wider. In other words, it „sticks out more“.

Hi ElectricSteve,

You answered my question.
The P model and the base model X are indeed different although maybe not weird.
The non-offset wheel configuration mentioned above will not work for a
base model X because of the wider parking brake... A non-offset wheel will not
clear the wider parking brake...

Thank You,

Shawn

Had to replace mine at 16,500 miles due to getting a nail in the front passenger and the outside edges being just under the spec for "legally bald"... $1500 down the drain at such low mileage on 20" rims... Not terribly happy about that, they should last much longer than they did. Fronts were considerably more worn than rears which naturally is where I got the nail... If i had gotten it in the rear, the tire could have been patched.

Jeff

I suspect you have an alignment issue to investigate.

I got 30k miles on my original set and it was the rears that wore out which is supposedly normal. The angle when running on low suspension often wears out the inner tread.

Interesting in that both fronts were equally worn the same way, just much more so than the back tires which were equally worn the same way. I wasn't aware alignment could cause that... Hm...

Thanks,
Jeff

So Tesla Recommended Going for Low in rather than normal to protect the front CV joints, which have now been replaced 3 Times in 40kmiles. That led to very strong Saw Tooth wear on immer side of read Tires. They have since set the car to have the right camber at low. (If you believe them, as I have also read that it is not possible to have the right camber at low without a special bushing….