Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Wear experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the alignment was checked at delivery(demo car) and again at the recent service and showed that no adjustment was necessary.

Unfortunately the factory tolerances on camber settings are very wide. Fronts -0.3 to -1.2 deg and the Rears -0.5 to -2.5 deg! So I'm afraid it's a complete lottery on tyre wear and optimum ride heights.

FWIW, my camber settings (always LOW as factory default for 2018 cars) are LF -0.30 RF -0.36 LR -0.99 RR -1.32
My factory 20" Michelins are all wearing evenly across the treads after 14K miles on LOW setting and standard 42 psi, but they are quite worn overall and will all need replacement in the next 5K miles if being conservative. Legally they are all fine with around 4 mm tread remaining. The lowest readings are on the RR with 3 mm on the inside edge and RL with 3 mm on the outside edge. Not surprising looking at the camber settings. Fronts are all 4 mm across the treads. My driving includes a lot of fast winding country roads, so is pretty demanding on tyres. Nothing I've ever driven has managed more than 20k miles on a set of tyres and this 2.5 tonne barge with 450+ hp will be no exception!

I would suggest anyone with rear camber settings at the upper end of the factory tolerance i.e. -2.5 deg are going to be disappointed with their tyre wear!

Update on my earlier post.
I had my two rears replaced in May 2018.
The tires are holding up fine and the fronts are holding up amazing.
This is what I have done.
Set the suspension to standard and never lower.
Keep tires inflated at 45psi or better at all times.
For anyone having a question whether to use the contisilents, my front tires are original, still will give about 4K more and I am at 45K miles on the X now. Taking it in for service in December when I will replace them again with the contisilents.

Same here.

An air compressor in the garage is used to keep the psi at 45 through the seasonal changes. Suspension set to standard, never lower. 10k miles and the tread measures 7mm all around and even.

Reactions: vrykolas
If your car came with Michelin Latitude Sport 3 Green X tires, these are summer Truck tires which lasted actually a little longer than they supposed to. These tires warranted for 20k miles, half of that, i.e. 10k miles, when rears are different than fronts. I think that you are surprised because this is probably your first vehicle that is equipped with high performance summer tires - they are not known for being optimized for long wear...

View attachment 235166
My first set of Latitude Sport 3s lasted about 20K miles. I frequently travel from Charlotte to Delaware and the 2nd set are doing a bit better now that I don't lower the the X until I am going 75 mph or higher.

Adding another data point. 15k so far on the 20 inch Continentals. It looks like I will get 30k before they are at the legal limit, so will probably replace them at 25k or so. Wear is totally even so far. Mix of standard and low height. I use the power whenever possible.

30,000+ miles on an AP1 and AP2 MX.

AP1 has uneven rear camber wear. Still does on a new set of tires and aligned. Stock contis lasted about 32,000 miles.

AP2 was even all the way around. Stock contis lasted nearly 40,000 miles.

20K MIles, Contisilents 20", Just replaced the front tires this week. 5/32 tread. I don't like tires to be too worn on the front of the car. Interestingly the rears still have 8/32 on them and I towed a 5000 boat several times this summer. BTW the suspension is set to LOW. Not sure why the fronts wear so much, Tesla service had no real explanation.

Just to follow up, my pirelli Scorpions are now at 40k miles, still have easily another 5-10k miles left, might switch them a little sooner since I’m on the conservative side. Nice even wear. Not bad at all. Likely go back with Scorpions again. Looks like pirelli and others are designing some EV specific tires. Will be good to see how those perform when they come out.

Adding to the data gathered here...

I just replaced the 20" OEM Continental Cross Contact LX on my March 2018 Model X 100D. 38,000 miles for a year of driving. Lots of highway and city. And a 1miles stretch of gravel road about 5 times a week at my son's soccer field.

The fronts were very worn on the inside. The rest of the threads where about 3/32" Tire pressure religiously checked and inflated to 45psi toward the last 3rd end of it's life. So not sure if I could have got more wear out of the tire had I been more diligent with proper inflation. Suspension was set to auto lower from delivery. @65mph (I think?)

The rears were showing 4/32" but showed much less wear on the inside than the fronts.

Decided to mount Nexen N'Fera RU5 A/S (~$111usd) since we will be getting new 22" wheels soon. Relegate the 20" Slipstream with Nexen for towing or road trip use. Happy with it's driving characteristics so far. But too new to tell.

Adding to the data gathered here...

I just replaced the 20" OEM Continental Cross Contact LX on my March 2018 Model X 100D. 38,000 miles for a year of driving. Lots of highway and city. And a 1miles stretch of gravel road about 5 times a week at my son's soccer field.

The fronts were very worn on the inside. The rest of the threads where about 3/32" Tire pressure religiously checked and inflated to 45psi toward the last 3rd end of it's life. So not sure if I could have got more wear out of the tire had I been more diligent with proper inflation. Suspension was set to auto lower from delivery. @65mph (I think?)

The rears were showing 4/32" but showed much less wear on the inside than the fronts.

Decided to mount Nexen N'Fera RU5 A/S (~$111usd) since we will be getting new 22" wheels soon. Relegate the 20" Slipstream with Nexen for towing or road trip use. Happy with it's driving characteristics so far. But too new to tell.

Update 3/15/2020

We got to ~67,000 miles since the tire change in May '19. We did keep the 20" with Nexen N'Fera RU5 due to the bi weekly long distance driving.

This set lasted 29,000 miles. Have no complaint for the ride quality or noise really nor looks of the Nexen RU5. Too bad these 65,000 mile rated tires didn't last half of that nor beat the OEM Continental Cross Contact LX that lasted about 38,000 miles.

Price of Continental is about $300 while the Nexen RU5 runs about $123 after rebate on Tirebuyer.

This time, it was my rears that show more advance wear than the fronts. Opposite my experience from last time.

Hope the info helps.

I wonder if it is possible to use a tire with harder rubber in the future. V-class rubber is very soft.

In Germany and Zwitserland, it is allowed to go "lower than factory speed rated" by a certain margin, say down to 210km/h, but one must put a sticker on the dashboard saying what the new max.speed is the tires are rated for. This looks lame as donkey-doo but at least it gives a wider range of tire-options.
Maybe a similar rule applies in the US ?

Last edited:
In Germany and Zwitserland, it is allowed to go "lower than factory speed rated" by a certain margin, say down to 210km/h, but one must put a sticker on the dashboard saying what the new max.speed is the tires are rated for. This looks lame as donkey-doo but at least it gives a wider range of tire-options.
Maybe a similar rule applies in the US ?
In this country, people regularly just put the lower speed rated tires on and then drive the car as normal. None of our highways have speed limits high enough for this to be a problem.

None of our highways have speed limits high enough for this to be a problem.
Here neither. In Switzerland, the max speed is 120km/h (you will get 5000 years in jail if you drive too fast over here) but we must still mount V rated tires regardless (unless you smack one of dem lame stickers on the dashboard...)
S rated tires (180km/h) would be more than enough for us, as no one in his right mind would be dumb enough to actually go that fast...

In Germany, a small portion of highways have no speedlimit so there, such ratings are more relevant. But Germany is the only country to have such stretches of road in Europe.

Tesla model x has two problems concerning tires. The factory camber alignment is not correct for the street. Wheels should not be tilted in at the top. Also it was a dumb idea to have a staggered wheel set up. This is not a drag car trying to get a 1/10 sec quicker time. The rear wheels are only .5 inch wider and have next size larger tire. However there is an easy fix for the staggered setup. Buy two stock Tesla front 9 inch wide wheels and replace the rear 9.5 inch wheels. Now you can put the larger 275 / 45 R20 on all 4 wheels. Tires can be rotated and you get the full tire mileage warranty.
This setup works perfectly because I did to mine last year. It doesn’t rub or cause any problems. No difference in driving or handling.

Hi Detdds,

Is your X a "Normal" model or a "P" model???
I think there is something weird between the normal model
and the "P" model regarding the brake calipers and the offset...
Parking brake? Number of calipers?

Thank you,

Shawn