Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Wear Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, first time poster here.

I bought my Standard Range + in March of this year and have 5900km on it as of today. I drive relatively concervatively, using standard regenerative braking. It was pointed out to me from a coworker a couple of weeks ago that my rear tires were bald, and when I checked myself, I was shocked. they are indeed completely bald at 4 months old and less than 6000km.

My brother in law, i the tire business has told me that it is clearly a mechanical issue and the in all liklihood the care needs a rear allignment adjustent (bought 4 months ago) I went to an appointment with Tesla today to complaining of the major tire wear and they said they do not warrantee the tires. I was offered an allignment, but at $280 charge to me, and only once I replaced my tires as they said not wise to do on my bald tires. I suggested that an out of alligned car should be a warranty issue and the manager told me there is no way of them knowing whether I knocked it out of alignment after I bought it. Said I should take up the issue with Continental for their warranty. Insult to injury, suggesting to me that "if they are indeed the original tires, they would replace them". He profusely apologized when I pointed out that he was suggesinng that they may not have been the original tires I got with the car.

Called my brother in law right after leaving Tesla about who to contact on the tire warranty, and he put me through to his boss who said Continental would never replace the tires as it was a clear mechanical issue.

I want to get this fixed and am willing to pay for new tires, but worried they will be eaten up again by a poor alignment. Anyone have any similar issues with Tesla ducking out of culpability to do with warranty and any suggestions the next level up I should complain (short of Elon).

Sorry for the long post.

Attachments

• IMG_20200721_181126.jpg
    IMG_20200721_181126.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20200721_181147.jpg
    IMG_20200721_181147.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 117
They will not warranty that tire wear, Your car was out of alignment and you ended up with uneven tread wear.
Thanks for the reply. I agree, and my concern is that Tesla sent me out the door with a car badly out of alignment, yet telling me it is my concern. Do I suck it up, replace the tires and get an alignment at my cost, considering it is a few months old and under 6000km?

Just looking for opinions on if it is fruitless looking to pin it on Tesla and go ahead and fix the issue myself.

Thanks

I think you are going to have to suck it up honestly. I not go through tesla with the tire replacement, pick some good ones off tire rack and get them aligned and a good local shop and 100% get a print out of the alignment specs. If its just toe that is way out, the shop can correct that as that is the only setting thats adjustable on our cars. If camber/caster isn't in spec, take it back to tesla, as those settings can not be adjusted and they need to figure it out.

I wish alignment was something automakers could get right out of the factory, my tesla and my previous vw were both off, though not to the extent of yours. I had tesla do an alignment on mine, and it got my steering wheel mostly straight, but I suspect they didn't get everything the exact same on each side so I am going to have an independent shop check it out when I replace these tires.

I've got about half the life left on my rear tires after 6k miles and thats going 0-60 in 3s.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Thanks for the response G26okie. I have an appointment with an independent alignment shop for this Tuesday and getting my new tires the following Wednesday. I am starting to get second thoughts on going independent and wonder if it would be best to start a case history by bringing it back to Tesla for the alignment.

The unevenness of wear suggests an alignment issue. Rear wheels are likely out of camber.

You can also see the point of Tesla , that it's impossible to prove or disprove that it came that way out of the factory. That it wasn't caused by running over a big pothole or something.

Too late for it now, but people should make a habit to regularly check their tires to check these things early. It's like eating 90% of a pizza and then sending it back due to the taste -- hard to make a case at that point.

My toe-in was off 1degree on the fronts, that I noticed when I went to rotate them at 6000 miles. Clearly, it came that way. Since I live over 3hrs from a service center, I went to my local tire shop, and had them aligned, and bought new tires, since I didn't particularly care for the OEM tires. Obviously, Tesla should have done a better job aligning the wheels out of the factory, but life is short. No time to waste complaining to deaf ears.

My toe-in was off 1degree on the fronts, that I noticed when I went to rotate them at 6000 miles. Clearly, it came that way. Since I live over 3hrs from a service center, I went to my local tire shop, and had them aligned, and bought new tires, since I didn't particularly care for the OEM tires. Obviously, Tesla should have done a better job aligning the wheels out of the factory, but life is short. No time to waste complaining to deaf ears.
Ken, what replacement tires did you buy. Did you get ones with foam inside to reduce road noise

Ken, what replacement tires did you buy. Did you get ones with foam inside to reduce road noise
I decided to try the new 3PeakMountainSnowflake tires. I looked at the Michelin CrossClimate+, and the Vredestein Quatrac5, and decided to try the Quatrac5. No foam, but the road noise seems about the same as the OEM tires.

Got my report back from the third party alignment company and toe was out badly. Also had some info and camber and indicated possibly it has been re and re'd. I have not had it in the shop and can confirm never hitting a large pot hole etc. I havent picked up the car yet but will talk to the guy about the findings when I do. What do I do going forward with the attached report findings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200804-150701.png
    Screenshot_20200804-150701.png
    583.2 KB · Views: 113
I agree with you Ken on not wasting time on deaf ears. In the past maybe, but my older and wiser self realizes that avoiding conflict when possible has its own value. I wonder though if the specs that the shop found needs to be addressed by Tesla or is findings minor (although reads as major).

Thanks.

Take lots of pictures, ask the Dale tech to explain everything so that you fully understand the issues, to know whether you need to escalate this with Tesla, cause it sounds like something happened to the subframe.

I will escalate with Tesla, not so as to pay for my $1000 out of pocket for tires and alignment, but for concern there is something very wrong with my car right from the factory. Still very alarmed at how dismissive the service centre was of a very new car arriving with bald rear tires and just assuming I like to do donuts.

Lots of cars leave factories these days with bad alignments. Lots of alignment shops don't bother to do alignments right anymore (lazy). It's so bad, I bought my own tool to check alignment myself. Lookup "Trackace."

My Tesla was badly out of alignment too from the factory, but I caught it in time.

Will look that up TLL. Looks like I have the car back in specs and the alignment shop i used seemed to be top notch. Will be checking my new tires weekly going forward. Will use the time I would otherwise of spent at the gas station :)

So the shop found the camber and toe way out?

I'm curious why you are saying you have the car back in specs? The camber isn't really adjustable unless they mess with the subframe which I don't think the shop did. So that 100% needs to be addressed with the service center.