Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire wear question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 41,000 on my Model S on the original 19 inch tires. I got the car in March, 2016. I measure the treads pretty regularly and I should get 50,000 out of these, easily. I have rotated the tires about 4 times, and I don't do it religiously based on mileage.

When I measure the treads, I measure the outer, middle and inner of each tire. On all 4 tires, the outer and inners measure between 4 and 5/32s and they are all pretty even. All of the middle treads on all the tires are at 3/32s.

I can't imagine this is an alignment issue because that would result in the outer or inner wearing faster, not the middle. The only thing I can think of to cause this is overinflation, and I consistently run with 45psi cold (although it does creep up while driving to 48 to 50, depending on temperature).

Curious if anyone else has had this experience.

45psi is likely a little above optimal, but its recommended to slightly increase range. Regardless though 50k miles on a set is amazing, mine are shot after ~35k. 1/32 difference between middle an outer is hardly enough to worry about.