Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 LR with 18” tires started to have a wobbling noise above 60 mph and turns out that my right rear tire is pretty much done and needs replaced and they recommended replacing all four. I only have 13,000 miles on it. Are these factory Michelin tires supposed to wear out this quickly? Also does anyone know why the right rear tire was more worn than the others?

My model 3 LR with 18” tires started to have a wobbling noise above 60 mph and turns out that my right rear tire is pretty much done and needs replaced and they recommended replacing all four. I only have 13,000 miles on it. Are these factory Michelin tires supposed to wear out this quickly? Also does anyone know why the right rear tire was more worn than the others?
Check your balance and alignment. Did "they" tell you why the tire was making wobbling noises and was worn out? Did you take a picture of the wear pattern? One tire wear indicates something special was causing it, so not specific to Michelin OEM tires.

Reactions: tm1v2
Like all vehicles it should be inspected by a professional at least once a year or every 12K miles. With ICE these days have an oil and filter service every 5K, 10k or more depending on the vehicle driven. At the same time your technician will usually perform a general safety inspection and address any issues such as abnormal tire wear, Tesla shouldn't be any different.

If you have a heavy foot, the rear tires do wear out more. I'd recommend rotating at maybe 12k miles. What I noticed though, is that winter tires did not wear out almost at all (though there was very little snow this year), they were not so grippy though. Wear definitely depends on what tire you are on.

If you show pictures I'll guarantee you'll have all kinds of advice on what is wrong. Also curious of wear and what tread is left on the good rear tire.

However, I'd be somewhat concerned that my tire shop is willing to put on over $1,200 of new tires and not raise the issue of why one tire wore out early. If your tire people are not passionate about tires or customer service it would be a good opportunity to find a more reputable tire dealer. My sister has her M3 tire service where all tire rotations are free and they build a good customer relationship, like they have a stake in your vehicle.