Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question regarding tire wear. I'm in AWD 60D on original goodyear tires over 12K miles and the rear tires have worn more than the front. Is this typical? I almost always have range mode off, don't drive aggressively but do floor it occasionally. I would estimate more highway driving slightly.

Goodyears imply that you have 19s with a square setup. Then yes, typical for more rear tire wear because you didn't mention rotation at the recommended 6,250 mile interval on those original tires.

However if you did rotate at that mile marker, then no, atypical because wear should be fairly equal. If rears are worn more than the fronts with a rotation, I'd suspect an alignment and/or air pressure problem.

lug nut cap removal?

Is this some cap you've added to the OE design?

Don't be pulling apart OE lug nuts.

This is the specific tool: Tesla — Lug Nut Cap Remover

Just to remove the cap over the lug nut.

I think it's abnormal if you need to replace them already.

70D, 19", 41k miles and I'm down to ~3/32s. I'll replace them before my next long trip.

Was planning to rotate not replace, just thought front would wear faster than rear in AWD.

At 26,000 miles I had the first tire rotation on my 2015 70D.
The front two tires were worn down to 7/32.
The left rear was at 6/32.
The right rear was at 5/32.

The tires were not rotated at my first annual service (12,500 miles) because Tesla said all tires were evenly worn.
I asked the service advisor why the right rear was worn so much. He claimed that the right rear is where the most power is applied.

Just took mine in for a rotation. 2017 90D with 8000+ miles. Fronts at 8/32, rear at 5/32. Service guy told me he's seen most people needing new tires around 15k miles. I don't drive crazy or too fast. Hopefully I'll get more mileage out of these.

100,000 km on RWD car, swapping out seasons for tires, still on original set of Michelins.. but this will be their last season.

I have been so looking forward to turning off Traction Control and lighting 'em up in smoke at the end of this summer... then rotating them... and doing it again!! Just before I put the winters on.

A lot depends on how you drive and how you like to drive and how much you're willing to pay for driving like that... enjoy!