TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tire/Wheel Insurance Package - Tesla are you Listening?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rogbmw, May 8, 2012.

1. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

After repeatedly reading threads on the pros - vs - cons of the 19 and 21 inch wheels, I would like to propose something to Tesla. Last summer when I purchased my BMW (with 19 inch performance wheels and 35 profile performance tires), the dealership offered a genuine BMW Tire and Wheel insurance policy (they also offered a third party policy at a slightly reduced rate, but I went with the BMW policy). Essentially, if the tire and or wheel are damaged to the point they will not hold air, they will be replaced. Now this does not cover cosmetic "curb rash", or a mild bend that does not affect the tire/wheel's ability to hold air, but does cover damage significant enough to cause the tire/wheel to fail (not hold air). The package could be purchased for 3, 4 or 5 years. It made financial sense, and I purchased the package with the low profile tires even though I have never bent a rim before.

I thought the price was reasonable, and I paid just over $1400 for a 5 year unlimited mileage package - which would essentially be the cost of 2 bent rims and 2 new tires if I did not have the package. There is no limit as to the number of times the policy is good for, so I'm covered for up to 5 years (although it will be less as the BMW will go our son when the Model S is ready).

Maybe we could all encourage Tesla to offer such a package. Other high end cars that they will be competing with offer it, so Tesla hopefully will consider it. PLEASE!!!!

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I'm sure if people really want such an insurance product, they can get it from a 3rd party.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The problem is that third party "part" insurance is likely to be a scam similar to third party extended warranties.

4. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

Granted - you can find 3rd party insurance, but - at least with the BMW policy - general consensus is that the BMW policy has much less problems with claims than the 3rd party policies offered. Just recently on a BMW board, someone had a problem and BMW fixed it the next day without any grief, and out the door with a new tire and rim.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

It's entirely possible Tesla could offer something like this, but we have to remember they're working to get their first wholly-produced vehicle out the door. It's not unreasonable to expect they won't have all the extras and bells and whistles that the more established guys have.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

It's worth bringing up with Tesla so maybe they might offer it in the future. I'd imagine they would have announced that by now though since reservations have already started.

7. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Tesla could serve as the conduit for an approved third-party insurance policy. I can see why Tesla might not want to get into the business of insuring "non defect" issues. Still, this is great insurance, speaking from experience.