Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire & Wheel Swap In Model Y PUP, Any issues with going square?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gone to a square configuration on their Model Y PUP? What I'm wondering is whether or not that will cause any issues with any of the systems in the car. Stock, the rear tires are .6" taller than the fronts. If we make all four tires equal, is that going to cause issues with things like ABS?

If we could select wheel size like we do in the 3 that should take care of my concerns, but since we can't do that in the Y... If any vendors or Y owners have made this swap please post up!

Also, what are we going to have to do to level out the car after swapping tires? I'm guessing the suspension accounts for the taller tires in the rear. After a swap are we going to have to lift the rear .6" to level out the car? It seems likely to me...

Thanks!

I did this in my X about 6 months ago, no issues so far. 265/45/20's all the way around, which was about 1" thinner on the rear. Couldn't find a shop that would install the wheels/tires on the car though, so I had them mount the tires on the wheels and I mounted them to the vehicle at home. Kinda a hassle TBH.

Has anyone gone to a square configuration on their Model Y PUP? What I'm wondering is whether or not that will cause any issues with any of the systems in the car. Stock, the rear tires are .6" taller than the fronts. If we make all four tires equal, is that going to cause issues with things like ABS?

If we could select wheel size like we do in the 3 that should take care of my concerns, but since we can't do that in the Y... If any vendors or Y owners have made this swap please post up!

Also, what are we going to have to do to level out the car after swapping tires? I'm guessing the suspension accounts for the taller tires in the rear. After a swap are we going to have to lift the rear .6" to level out the car? It seems likely to me...

Thanks!

I could be wrong, but I'm 99% sure the staggered wheel setup on the Model Y is the same as the performance 3, X, and S which use *WIDER* wheels and tires in the rear, but the circumference is absolutely the same. So there would be no change in the height or need to change the suspension. What makes you think the rear wheels n the PUP Model Y are .6" taller?

I have always switched between a staggered performance setup in the summer on my X and a square setup in the winter with no problem. The Tesla wheel configurator in the car (which I'm sure will come to the Y in a software update before long), is primarily to adjust range calculations due to changes in the wheel size.

I hope that helps. I definitely plan to run a smaller, square wheel setup in the winter on my Model Y.

Reactions: SCW-Greg
Yes, the tire profile or "height", e.g. the amount of rubber between the rim and the road, listed in tires sizes, such as 265/45R20 for example, is an aspect ratio, not a specific measurement. So the same aspect ratio number, and wheel size in different widths can result in different sidewall heights. When I plugin the two sizes in that calculator, looks like possibly a 0.28" difference in total diameter?

What makes you think the rear wheels n the PUP Model Y are .6" taller?

Tire Size Calculator

Tire Size.png

Isn't there a service screen where you can adjust for different rim setups on the Y? If so, probably picking the 19" Gemini wheels and trying to match the diameter would be best. Unlike an ICE car which mechanically has to maintain a close ratio between front and rear tires, the Tesla should be able to independently match the motors based on tire size.