Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire width and height (yet again)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Model Y RWD in order and we’re looking at tire options for the standard 19” gemini.

The default 255/45/R19 has very little to no rim protection, so I was wondering if there are more people who have tried 265/50R19.

I have 1 confirmed fit without rubbing.
We’d go 265 for rim protection and 50 for more comfort.

If not, we’d go 265/45R19 for summer and 255/50R19 for winter.

Don’t really care about the last 5% efficiency or the speedo being a bit off.

Last edited:
I see 275/45R19 even fits. So we’re going 265/45R19 for summer and 255/50R90 for winter.

We have a Model Y RWD in order and we’re looking at tire options for the standard 19” gemini.

The default 255/45/R19 has very little to no rim protection, so I was wondering if there are more people who have tried 265/50R19.

I have 1 confirmed fit without rubbing.
We’d go 265 for rim protection and 50 for more comfort.

If not, we’d go 265/45R19 for summer and 255/50R19 for winter.

Don’t really care about the last 5% efficiency or the speedo being a bit off.
you're correct that the MY OEM tires have no rim protection bead or cover the wheel edge.
they were selected by Tesla mostly for cost and efficiency.
there are several threads on TMC regarding tire sizing.

use the link to help calculate your needs
you need to understand wheel offsets (if you're changing wheels) and tire diameter limits (which is the steering knuckle on the MY top wishbone arm)
max tire diameter is 29 Inches +/- .20 inch.

I've added a set of M3 Aero wheels using 255/55/18 offroad tires to my MYLR.
at full lock, they rub a 1" square patch on the plastic front wheelwell liner. so in other words, they are as wide as you should go.
(you only go full lock when going very slow, so it's no issue)

Reactions: Stijn_NL
Just go with whatever looks good, don't worry about rim protection. It's not going to do sh!t anyways. On my other car, I have 275, and it has the extra bead covering the wheels.... But there is an unbelievable amount of torque at point of impact if you scrape a curb... The tire is just going to deflect inwards, and the wheel will still make contact.... My wife did that... At point of impact, it tore the "rim protector" bead on the tire, and scraped the wheel.