Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire width appearance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one thing I'm grateful for from the BMW i3, is that ALL TIRES LOOK WIDE TO ME NOW.
That BMW let that thing get produced with shopping cart tire widths is still unbelievable to me...screams compliance car.
It makes my LEAF tires look positively sinisterrrrr by comparison.

I know of absolutely zero other cars that use the same tires that the i3 use... screams "opposite of compliance car" to me.

Are they funky looking? Absolutely. But a compliance car would use the same exact wheel and tire from a similar, gas-equivalent model.

Even further off-topic... I'm tired of people calling the i3 a compliance car. It is the absolute opposite of a compliance car. Nothing about it's design and engineering is even remotely close to any existing car out there.

[Yes, this post is from 6 months ago, but this thread was recently bumped]

I mean, the single best thing for efficiency would be to never floor it or drive above 70, but there's always tradeoffs. My guess is a wider tire with the same exact compound wouldn't even be noticed, unless you're trying to maximize efficiency.
There are always trade-offs, for sure. I am first and foremost an efficiency guy. It was tough going with AWD due to the decrease in efficiency. So yes... I am trying to maximize efficiency while still having the car look as good as it can... and without adding tons more money. One size wider tires may be an excellent trade-off.

Should increase traction
Should protect the rim a bit more
Should look better

At the expense of:
Extra weight and rolling and air resistance (maybe insignificant?)

If the above is noticeable, and the below is not... then we've got a winner.

I must admit that I've always admired the strong stance of the BMW X5 M. Wide tires do look nice, and they're expensive, and heavy, and more often than not, wear poorly.

The comment at the end of this 22-second video pretty much sums up the rest of my admiration of the X5 M. :D

I think that both of those issues are related to maximizing aero. Any part of the tire that extends past the rim will adversely affect aero. You can put on a wider tire or one with a protruding lip, but it will adversely affect range (at highway speeds)
@insaneoctane I want to reinforce this point. The tire design of the factory 18" tire and wheel package is very intentionally designed. If you look at the design of the sidewall, it is like no other tire I've ever noticed before. The sidewall has a special lip that aerodynamically blends into the rim. The fact that the tread is narrower than the sidewall is an aerodynamic feature. The fact that the rim is now subject to curb rash is a side effect of this very intentional design.

@insaneoctane I want to reinforce this point. The tire design of the factory 18" tire and wheel package is very intentionally designed. If you look at the design of the sidewall, it is like no other tire I've ever noticed before. The sidewall has a special lip that aerodynamically blends into the rim. The fact that the tread is narrower than the sidewall is an aerodynamic feature. The fact that the rim is now subject to curb rash is a side effect of this very intentional design.
Agreed. I'm most definitely unhappy with the curb rash proposition of these!