Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tired of brake dust...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 AWD LR, purchased new 6 moths ago. Picture is showing how much brake dust accumulated on sides of car in a 4 mile drive in town, no brakes used, just regen. After a week of driving it is really bad, especially on a white car. Anything to do about this besides getting aftermarket pads? Probably not, but thought I would ask...
20220330_113726.jpg

Last edited:
I do Know.. regen does not produce brake dust. I was not saying that it does.
Yes, I know about a service visit...Am looking for some other alternatives ,if there may be some.
Don't want pay hundreds of dollars for something that should not be happening...again, looking for alternatives. Maybe other people have had the same experience...

Why would you pay anything for the service visit?

If your car is producing that kind of brake dust (at all- let alone without using the brakes) there is something wrong with it. That's what the warranty is for.

I literally have no brake dust residue when I clean my wheels, that could be a sign of something else going on. Are all four wheels like that?
On the body of the car right behind both wheel wells, front and back. Puts a coating of dust down the sides and wraps around the rear end, probably by the wind currents there. Yeah, I have a stack of rags I wash on a weekly basis because they look like the one in the photo. Did the same amount (stuck on car ) before ceramic wax and a little bit less after...disheartening..
almost like the brake pads are dragging...maybe they are..

On the body of the car right behind both wheel wells, front and back. Puts a coating of dust down the sides and wraps around the rear end, probably by the wind currents there. Yeah, I have a stack of rags I wash on a weekly basis because they look like the one in the photo. Did the same amount (stuck on car ) before ceramic wax and a little bit less after...disheartening..
My car is black so if there is any it would be news to me. Coming from BMW's where the brake dust is BRUTAL I find my Tesla to be a dream. Quite frankly, if I use the brakes once a week that's a lot for me.

Reactions: ZenRockGarden
My car is black so if there is any it would be news to me. Coming from BMW's where the brake dust is BRUTAL I find my Tesla to be a dream. Quite frankly, if I use the brakes once a week that's a lot for me.
Yep, I hardly ever touch the brake pedal..which make it all the more confusing..
( starting a go fund me, so I can get a black wrap of the car..Just Kidding!)

Coming from BMW's where the brake dust is BRUTAL I find my Tesla to be a dream.

Oh man, that just gave me a flashback to my '95 M3 being coated with brake dust.

OP, I don't think this is expected, +1 to your theory of calipers dragging. If you go for a drive and don't touch the brake at all, just using regen, then get out and put your hand near the calipers, are they hot? I'd expect the rear ones to be particularly cool.

SourJelly...I will try that. Logically, my take is the pads are touching the rotors just enough to make dust> I really never use the brakes..or once or twice where I midjudge the stopping point of the car in front of me, I would just tap them. In the 6 months since new, very few time...the word adjustment comes to mind. Been looking at videos on Tesla brake pad installation,have not seen anything on adjustments...

Are you sure that's brake dust? Could it just be dust from the environment? The 3 is extremely aero, and it sucks debris onto the car. It could be dirt, pollen, anything.
Black. The dust is always black and very consistent and us directly behind each wheel, then on to the car body. It is always the same. Now, at other times, I may get some pollen, but on the surface of the car and very little. It is a garage kept car. Also, Eugene,Or. is fairly clear on any factory type pollution and the local air pollution agency is on top of that with warnings, happens every so often. No, it is definitely from the brake pads, as the same black dust is on that area also.

Brake dust would be on the wheels and not the body of the car. If your wheels are clean and the body is dirty then just the roads you drive on are dirty/dusty.

Reactions: lUtriaNt