Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tired of extremely rough ride on my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Doug. I need to research this more. I have 18 inch wheels and have set tire pressure to 39 lbs. The ride is so much smoother. I will check this out. Who installs the coilovers?

Thanks Ken. Good advice.
HI Carter

Which 18 inch tires? Three options: 1) ultra lightweight forged alloys, which drop 5 lbs a corner at least; 2) go to top rated tire in Tire Rack Surveys for ride in a 235/45 or 245/44-18 size; MPP Comfort coilovers, adjustable version and set them towards the softer end of their adjustment range. Not mutually exclusive, and only one is cheap (replace the tires when they wear out!)

Reactions: hcdavis3
HI Carter

Which 18 inch tires? Three options: 1) ultra lightweight forged alloys, which drop 5 lbs a corner at least; 2) go to top rated tire in Tire Rack Surveys for ride in a 235/45 or 245/44-18 size; MPP Comfort coilovers, adjustable version and set them towards the softer end of their adjustment range. Not mutually exclusive, and only one is cheap (replace the tires when they wear out!)
Thanks Doug

Thanks Doug
As folks have already mentioned the ride gets pretty flinty when your tire pressures get above 40 lbs. It's worth reminding everybody that the very high tire pressures Tesla is running are unusual outside of Eevee's. Most manufacturers recommend 32 to 35 lb. The Pilot Sport 4S Tire probably has its best traction around 35 to 36 lb, but of course you get the constant nagging from the tire pressure sensor if you're under 38. We try to run them around town at 38 and bumped him up to 40 for longer trips. And above 42 or 43 they're really pretty flinty. Not much fun!

Hope you're doing well Carter!

Reactions: hcdavis3
As folks have already mentioned the ride gets pretty flinty when your tire pressures get above 40 lbs. It's worth reminding everybody that the very high tire pressures Tesla is running are unusual outside of Eevee's. Most manufacturers recommend 32 to 35 lb. The Pilot Sport 4S Tire probably has its best traction around 35 to 36 lb, but of course you get the constant nagging from the tire pressure sensor if you're under 38. We try to run them around town at 38 and bumped him up to 40 for longer trips. And above 42 or 43 they're really pretty flinty. Not much fun!

Hope you're doing well Carter!
Thanks Doug. Doing well. Fully vaccinated 😊

Reactions: dfwatt
I've been experimenting with lower tire pressures for the past year while checking tire wear. 34psi will improve ride even more with just a small decrease in handling.. I just add air when going on trips. I have 18 inch tires
Sorry, but the 42 psi cold spec is for a reason. Even std. range plus Model3's are heavy because of the weight of the battery pack. Going all the way down to 34 psi causes a dramatic increase in sidewall deflection even in a straight line, which dramatically increases internal friction between the internal belts of the tires. This will cause your tires to self-destruct when you really don't want them to. It's primarily a summer problem because of the heat---you can get away with it in the winter. People often believe that to much pressure can cause a tire to shred and come apart (or blow-up) in 100 degree heat at 80 mph on the freeway, but the exact opposite is true. That's why you always check your tire pressure when they are dead cold. Put in 42 psi first thing in the morning when it's 60 degrees out and let the internal pressure rise to wherever is wants as the outside temp increases to 110 on the way to Yosemite. It will keep you, your tires, and your beautifully crafted new Tesla in one piece. Have you ever seen a Mercedes on the side of the freeway during the summer with a disintegrated rear tire? It's because Mercedes are very heavy cars and their drivers are notorious for not checking their tire pressure. The reason is always low pressure in that tire. I've even had a tire guy refuse to fill my space-saver tire to the required spec of 65 psi in the afternoon of a 108 degree day (love that global warming). He said he's not allowed to fill it beyond 50 psi in the summer because his boss doesn't want it to blow up. He was wrong for two reasons; first, he was checking the psi in the afternoon when the tire was warm, so he actually needed to add MORE than 65 psi; second, added tire pressure means LESS internal friction and less chance of a failure. Again, lower tire pressure (particularly on a hot day) means more internal friction and a far greater chance for a tire failure. The physics of it all will keep you, your family and your overloaded car on a nice summer vacation drive alive. I need a smiley face here!

Sorry, but the 42 psi cold spec is for a reason. Even std. range plus Model3's are heavy because of the weight of the battery pack. Going all the way down to 34 psi causes a dramatic increase in sidewall deflection even in a straight line, which dramatically increases internal friction between the internal belts of the tires. This will cause your tires to self-destruct when you really don't want them to. It's primarily a summer problem because of the heat---you can get away with it in the winter. People often believe that to much pressure can cause a tire to shred and come apart (or blow-up) in 100 degree heat at 80 mph on the freeway, but the exact opposite is true. That's why you always check your tire pressure when they are dead cold. Put in 42 psi first thing in the morning when it's 60 degrees out and let the internal pressure rise to wherever is wants as the outside temp increases to 110 on the way to Yosemite. It will keep you, your tires, and your beautifully crafted new Tesla in one piece. Have you ever seen a Mercedes on the side of the freeway during the summer with a disintegrated rear tire? It's because Mercedes are very heavy cars and their drivers are notorious for not checking their tire pressure. The reason is always low pressure in that tire. I've even had a tire guy refuse to fill my space-saver tire to the required spec of 65 psi in the afternoon of a 108 degree day (love that global warming). He said he's not allowed to fill it beyond 50 psi in the summer because his boss doesn't want it to blow up. He was wrong for two reasons; first, he was checking the psi in the afternoon when the tire was warm, so he actually needed to add MORE than 65 psi; second, added tire pressure means LESS internal friction and less chance of a failure. Again, lower tire pressure (particularly on a hot day) means more internal friction and a far greater chance for a tire failure. The physics of it all will keep you, your family and your overloaded car on a nice summer vacation drive alive. I need a smiley face here!
Proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing - you got a few things right but a whole lot wrong.

my Toyota Alphard V6 is 5000lb, running 235/50-18....the factory recommended to pump 35psi lol
my Mazda 5 is 3600lb, FWD, running 225/40-18....the factory recommended to pump 32psi with 205/50-17 lol, I pump 35psi and it's bumpy already

Morning Doug. You have coil over. Who installed them and what tire pressure do you have. Thanks, Carter
Hey Carter great to hear from you! I got mine done at an amazing place in Nashua New Hampshire called Merrimack Auto. It is a little bit of a drive from Boston but Ian who is the head of the shop is a Car Guys Car Guy, and he now knows the cars (Model 3 and Model Y) really well and he's done several pieces of suspension work for us over and above the coilovers including putting in the Mountain Pass front lower control arm bushing which I also highly recommend. Their phone number is 603 883 6264. Please tell Ian that I sent you and give him our best regards. You won't find a better mechanic in the Boston area for this kind of work. I recommend his shop for everybody in the Boston area and North of Boston who's looking for an experienced Tesla mechanic.

We run at the minimum pressure to avoid the Tesla tire pressure Nanny. 38-39. We don't like how flinty the ride gets when you get the tire pressures much above 40. And we don't think there's that much of an efficiency hit - in any case we have free supercharging and solar panels so we're not worried about range When we go on trips we bump it up a little bit. Pilot Sport 4S tires probably have their best traction envelope cold somewhere between 34 and 37 lb.

What people don't realize is that as you increase tire pressure you decrease contact patch. The traction envelope is determined by some kind of complex relationship between the stability of the contact patch which actually is increased at higher pressure and its size which is decreased by tire pressure. At lower pressures (say 24-30 lbs) the larger contact patch which in theory would give you more traction is actually dynamically unstable and actively deforming under load. This is why more pressure up to a point improves your car's handling and braking. Past that point you get a declining efficacy because slightly increasing stabilization of the contact patch no longer makes up for its decreasing size.

No one has empirically tested the Tesla spec Pilot Sport 4S to see where that point of diminishing returns on tire pressure is but I suspect the recommended pressures are well past a best pressure for traction and are recommended simply because they provide a little bit more efficiency. I'm pretty confident that Tesla had Michelin re-engineer that tire so that it can handle chronically high inflation pressures without accelerated crown wear. I suspect that's a combination of changes in the tread and harder compound in the center of the tread. Additionally they made the tread significantly wider than comparable section width Pilot Sport 4S tires and I suspect that was an attempt to improve handling. They may have made the outer tread compound a little softer and grippier as well but that's just a speculation.

Hope that's helpful.

Last edited: