Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tirerack.com suggested winter combo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tire Rack's suggested combo for winter, when sorted by price, seems to be Dunlop Graspic DS-3 tires and Sport Edition WX5 wheels. Does anyone have any experience with these?

It seems that most folks on the forum are going with Rial wheels, which look great, but I want to consider all the options and not pay a premium unless i have to, since I think the black WX5's look fine in the web site's preview window of the wheels on the car.

Also, it seems the Dunlop are not low rolling resistance- how will that affect range? Again, i want to exlore my options before buying a more expensive winter tire than i need to. Thanks.

Last edited:
Also, it seems the Dunlop are not low rolling resistance- how will that affect range?

There's no way to tell without purchasing a set and trying them, or waiting until someone else has tried them. It could be as bad as 20%. Of course, when you are actually traveling through snow, you won't be setting any range records regardless of the RR of the tire.

The reason there aren't any numbers available for comparison is that tire manufacturers consider rolling resistance values a trade secret and so they never divulge the numbers for their current tires. The UTQG was originally supposed to have RR values as well, but the tire manufacturers got that eliminated. What this all means is that one company's LRR tire could have more RR than another's LRR tire (it's not likely, but it's possible).

Some non-tirerack reviews: 1 2 3

I used Bridgestone pole Potenza for my winter tires this past winter. Even though they are an all season they handled our Philly winter no problem, and so far wearing great. However, I consistently lose about 15% on a full charge due to poor rolling resistance. Tesla said in their tests they had the worst rolling resistance. I've tested them while driving with other drivers using standard tesla good years. In Europe manufacturers are generally required to publish the rolling resistance codes of their tires. Wish it were so here. Important factor for us EV owners.

you can tell if they are good or not, just click on survey to see what other people have to say

2013-11-03 00_01_57-Consumer Survey Results By Category.jpg

I bought the black WX5's with Pirelli winter run flats.

The roads here are horrible almost year round so I am always worrying about a flat, so this will give me some winter piece of mind.

I bought the set about a month ago but have not put them on yet. A little too early for around here(hope I didn't just jinx myself).

I bought the black WX5's with Pirelli winter run flats.

The roads here are horrible almost year round so I am always worrying about a flat, so this will give me some winter piece of mind.

The best thing you can do to prevent pothole damage is to keep some air in your tires. Make sure they never-ever go below the vehicle placard pressure. Runflats don't really help in this situation. Runflats are for nails, screws, and similar penetrating items. They won't help with a pinch shock.

(A pinch shock is the most common kind of pothole damage. The rim flange pinches and cuts through the tire. In the worst case the wheel will also be damaged.)

Tire Rack Package Rubbing on Our Car

Tire Rack's suggested combo for winter, when sorted by price, seems to be Dunlop Graspic DS-3 tires and Sport Edition WX5 wheels. Does anyone have any experience with these?

It seems that most folks on the forum are going with Rial wheels, which look great, but I want to consider all the options and not pay a premium unless i have to, since I think the black WX5's look fine in the web site's preview window of the wheels on the car.

Also, it seems the Dunlop are not low rolling resistance- how will that affect range? Again, i want to exlore my options before buying a more expensive winter tire than i need to. Thanks.

Hello.
Just wanted to let you know our family purchased this package from Tire Rack and had them installed yesterday.
But the tires are rubbing in the front fender liner when there's a sharper than average turn.
Tire Rack is looking into this for us as they said they have sold 40 of these packages to other Tesla customers with out a problem.
One thing about Tire Rack, if you buy a guaranteed fit product they have great service.
Just wanted to let the community know.

Tire Rack confirms this combo DOES NOT FIT

Hello.
Just wanted to let you know our family purchased this package from Tire Rack and had them installed yesterday.
But the tires are rubbing in the front fender liner when there's a sharper than average turn.
Tire Rack is looking into this for us as they said they have sold 40 of these packages to other Tesla customers with out a problem.
One thing about Tire Rack, if you buy a guaranteed fit product they have great service.
Just wanted to let the community know.

Some research by Tire Rack confirmed that the currently recommended winter combo will not fit properly.
I am referring to the Lugano wheels + DS3 tires.

As promised here are my pics after my install.

Much quieter than the P-Zeros for the short drive back to the office. The real test will be my drive home tonight.

I think they look very good. The only issue is the rears are badly worn to the steel on the inside of the tire & I don't have time to get the service center on this.

I will email ownership so I have it documented.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385397513.733125.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385397513.733125.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 290
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385397524.414838.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385397524.414838.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 300
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385397534.695435.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385397534.695435.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 283
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385397710.957001.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385397710.957001.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 278
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385397721.518656.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385397721.518656.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 263
Suprise snowstorm in Milwaukee this morning. 111 property damage accidents, 31 with injuries, 57 cars in ditches, and 65 disabled all before noon. I drove my P85+ to work on the 21 inch Michelins. Almost like driving on bald tires. Once at work I put the new Blizzack LM60's/ Rial Lugano wheels we got from Tire Rack on and drove around in the snow for a while. Really great traction and handling for a rear wheel drive car. I also took it over to the airport and drove around on the non-movement areas by the hangars. They don't salt there and hadn't yet plowed but the car did fine there too. With all the weight it's a bit like a rear wheel drive gas car with the trunk full of sandbags.

I just got the Luganos with Michelin Ice Xi3's....which are LRR's as well.

I also got the Michelin Ice Xi3s. I wanted to specifically get (19") LRR tires which could handle Tesla's recommended tire pressure, and I didn't want runflats; there's not actually a lot of snow tires to choose from at that point. The X-Ice Xi3s were both fairly cheap and got excellent reviews.

I've been happy with them so far in cold weather and rain and dry roads (we haven't had any accumulations yet). They ride only slightly "rougher" than the standard 19" tires and they seem to be much, much better than the 21" summer tires on the loaner I had last week. I get to try the snow tires out on actual snow in the morning...

I didn't get separate rims (mounting tires on rims is *cheap* around here, it would take me ten years before I spent the cost of a set of wheels).

Strange. I just got a recommended TireRack combo e-mail this week but it pairs the WX5 wheels with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D tires. Perhaps there were fitment problems with the DS-3's after all?

Suprise snowstorm in Milwaukee this morning. 111 property damage accidents, 31 with injuries, 57 cars in ditches, and 65 disabled all before noon. I drove my P85+ to work on the 21 inch Michelins. Almost like driving on bald tires. Once at work I put the new Blizzack LM60's/ Rial Lugano wheels we got from Tire Rack on and drove around in the snow for a while. Really great traction and handling for a rear wheel drive car. I also took it over to the airport and drove around on the non-movement areas by the hangars. They don't salt there and hadn't yet plowed but the car did fine there too. With all the weight it's a bit like a rear wheel drive gas car with the trunk full of sandbags.

The most exact review of what it is to drive a Model S in winter conditions.