Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires advice please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time to replace my Continetal LX sports on my 2016 Model X SIGNATURE model, P90D (ludicrous) and need some advice. My current Continentals are sized 275/45/20 front and 265/45/20 rears. But on some of the online retailers, Tire Rack, etc., they have the size of my model as 285/275 so I'm confused as to whether I should stick with the current size, or change up to the 285's and not even sure if there would be any difference, or not.

Also, a Tesla friend said that the tires should have inside foam layer, but have read that it's not a big deal.

Finally, when getting new tires is there a benefit to getting them from our Tesla service center, or, is Mavis Tire or any local installer just as good, as I'm not sure if the local shops do alignment as well as Tesla?

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, so if there's a good thread here, let me know..
Jordan

Reactions: lachambers
Time to replace my Continetal LX sports on my 2016 Model X SIGNATURE model, P90D (ludicrous) and need some advice. My current Continentals are sized 275/45/20 front and 265/45/20 rears. But on some of the online retailers, Tire Rack, etc., they have the size of my model as 285/275 so I'm confused as to whether I should stick with the current size, or change up to the 285's and not even sure if there would be any difference, or not.

Also, a Tesla friend said that the tires should have inside foam layer, but have read that it's not a big deal.

Finally, when getting new tires is there a benefit to getting them from our Tesla service center, or, is Mavis Tire or any local installer just as good, as I'm not sure if the local shops do alignment as well as Tesla?

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, so if there's a good thread here, let me know..
Jordan
Actually I think you have that backwards. The 275s should be on the rear, and the 265s on the front.

The advantage to getting them from Tesla, is that Tesla will support them. Meaning if you ever need a replacement and call Emergency Road Service to bail you out, the spare swap is much less complicated. Road Service will take your dead tire to the Service Center where they will replace the tire for you. If you buy from another dealer to get another brand/model, you will have to order that tire and get it to the service center to be replaced. The amount of inconvenience is related to how far you are from your supporting service center. If you are hundreds of miles away, it may sway your purchase decision. It is possible that Emergency Road Service will take your wheel to a local tire store rather than the Tesla Service Center. My SC is local to me, so I never asked.

Many folks have a very negative opinion of the OEM Continentals, but I have never had a problem with them, always lasted more than 40,000 miles for me (unless I hit something).

There is nothing special about Tesla tires. Foam is not necessary.

Go to Discount Tires/America's Tire.

Alignment is not necessary unless you see abnormal tire wear.

Actually I think you have that backwards. The 275s should be on the rear, and the 265s on the front.

The advantage to getting them from Tesla, is that Tesla will support them. Meaning if you ever need a replacement and call Emergency Road Service to bail you out, the spare swap is much less complicated. Road Service will take your dead tire to the Service Center where they will replace the tire for you. If you buy from another dealer to get another brand/model, you will have to order that tire and get it to the service center to be replaced. The amount of inconvenience is related to how far you are from your supporting service center. If you are hundreds of miles away, it may sway your purchase decision. It is possible that Emergency Road Service will take your wheel to a local tire store rather than the Tesla Service Center. My SC is local to me, so I never asked.

Many folks have a very negative opinion of the OEM Continentals, but I have never had a problem with them, always lasted more than 40,000 miles for me (unless I hit something).

Does Tesla really extend your roadside assistance for tires past warranty?

I know this is an old thread, but anyway...

Rather than go by the tires that are on the car, or by what Tire Rack or other retailer tells you, there is always the option of looking at the sticker on the car for what the manufacturer said when it was sold. On my MYLR it is on the frame, visible by opening the driver's door.

As a follow up. I'm building a "Road trip/towing" set for my X. I already have a set of 'Around town' 22's that look great but are terrible for efficiency. I also have a set of 19" winter only snow tires.

What I'm looking for are 20" long distance (and towing) tires. I bought a pair of 9" front rims to go on the back of the car, so I'll be able to run a square setup. The door jam lists my fronts as 265, but what are the benefits/losses of going 255 all around? Again these tires will only be used driving long distances in spring/summer/fall (below freezing to 100+ degrees, rarely in snow).

I'm leaning towards these three options:
SCORPION AS PLUS 3 - SIZE: 265/45R20
SCORPION ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS - SIZE: 265/45R20
SCORPION ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS - SIZE: 255/45R20 (smaller width)

Which of these three would you cross country road trip on? (potentially towing a snowmobile trailer)

(Side semi-related note, if anyone is looking to buy a pair of rear X rims (slipstream) hit me up :cool:

Did you verify the load rating of the 255s with the X and your trailer load?
I'm not towing a massive travel trailer, just at most 2 sleds and some gear cross country, and only in fall. Total weight well under 2,000 lbs. Regardless I ended up ordering the Scorpion Zero All Season Plus 265/45R20 because they did have a higher rated weight capability. I rarely pay to charge so the loss of efficiency using 265 over 255 is a small price to pay for the peace of mind knowing I could pull a little more weight without worry. Plus the only time I would potentially pull a more heavy trailer is in the summer on these tires. In the winter I'm on a total different set of wheels (19" snows, X-Ice I3) and only towing shorter distances to the snowmobile trails.

Scorpion Zeros are excellent. Put them on two Model Xs with outstanding performance and long life.

Hankook now makes a great tire for Teslas and for the Model X at about half the price. Runs true and quiet on the street and set World's Quickest SUV speed record at the track on them. I will always use Hankook now for my replacement tire and Tesla is starting to make them OEM on some of it's models.

Attached is what the Continental tire looked like at about 17,000 miles, on the way home from Tesla SC and being cleared good to go. I was 48 miles away and Tesla sent a flatbed (within a 50-mile radius). Had another blowout on a Continental tire with my second Model X.

Avoid Continental at all costs. I agree with my tire dealer, "They are the most expensive poor quality tire you can buy."
Also, Continental warranty covered "NOTHING" on this tire.

Attachments

• Continental Model X.jpeg
    Continental Model X.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: John in LB
Hankook now makes a great tire for Teslas and for the Model X at about half the price. Runs true and quiet on the street and set World's Quickest SUV speed record at the track on them. I will always use Hankook now for my replacement tire and Tesla is starting to make them OEM on some of it's models.
On an emergency basis a couple of months ago, I had to replace one of my rear Continental tire with a Hankook. I drove 500 miles with that, along my remaining 3 Continentals that were pretty worn. I have to say that the Hankook, which was half the price of the Continental, did not sound any different and, from the outside, looks exactly the same as the Continental. So, if you want to save money, I would support buying a set of Hankook.

I did have all 4 tires replaced with new Continentals - which I like. But did keep the Hankook, should one of the rears fail prematurely.

This is my 3rd set of tires, and I am getting just under 35,000 miles on a set. We drive mostly freeway, and are easy on the pedal...

Reactions: Fairchild