TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Tires again.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by neroden, Mar 12, 2012.

1. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Apr 25, 2011
    Ithaca, NY, USA
    #1 neroden, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
    Soooo.... I'm obviously getting the 19" wheels. But it looks like Tesla has picked some pretty bad tires for them:

Goodyear Tires - Eagle RSA

:cursing: Anyway, I need an all-weather tire which actually works in slush and rain and light snow and light mud. Wet traction is key. I don't know much about tire purchasing (though I've been learning fast). What do people think sounds good? At least the 19" wheels offer lots of options for tires.

Edit: on second look, the Eagle RSA2 is different from the Eagle RSA.

And practically brand new, so new that there are hardly any reviews. And the ones there are are mixed. Still not reassuring at all.
  2. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Mar 3, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Just looked at the reviews for the Continental ExtremeContact DW tires that come standard with the 21" wheels. They seem capable but many of the reviews comment on their sidewall stiffness or lack thereof, even for the 35 series tires! These are all season tires. I presume that since every 21" wheel indicates "High Performance Tires", that they are all one in the same for performance models and non-performance models. They run around $300 per tire.
  3. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

Jun 20, 2011
    Los Gatos, CA

I don't think that is right. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS is the all season - the Continental ExtremeContact DW is a summer tire. (DW is supposedly Dry/Wet while DWS is Dry/Wet/Snow)
  4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

May 17, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    You're correct. I have the DWS for my Jetta but the DW's are for summer/wet performance and not for winter.