Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires and efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, sorry if this has been posted before but I have a couple questions about tires.
What psi for comfort vs efficiency?
Is there a specific number to look for when buying tires for rolling resistance?

Thinking about getting either the Michelin PS4 or PS A/S 3+. I'm guessing since the summer tires will be stickier that it'll be less efficient than the all-season? And will 245 fit on the OEM 19" rims? Thanks!

What psi for comfort vs efficiency?
Is there a specific number to look for when buying tires for rolling resistance?

There's a lot of discussion for PSI. Personally I'm using 45 PSI cold on my PS4S, but partially to balance out the edge wear I got on autocross. Also I feel like it may provide more protection for the 20" wheels. You have a P3D Stealth though so no worries for you.

42PSI cold is pretty much fine.

Lengthy aside:
Do note that the PSI indicated in the car by the TPMS is NOT gauge pressure (which is what matters) - it is absolute pressure minus a constant (sea level atmospheric pressure). This means that the TPMS will always read low vs. gauge pressure at elevation, by whatever the atmospheric pressure difference is from sea level pressure. E.g., they will read 2PSI lower than gauge pressure at 4000 feet. Gauge pressure is what matters. If you're coming up from sea level typically your cold gauge pressure is going to increase anyway (assuming temp is the same...which it won't be), so you won't necessarily notice this in the car.

But anyway, no idea where you're at, but relevant for people who live more than a couple thousand feet above sea level and are using TPMS to set their tire pressures. If you live at 5k feet, you do NOT want to use the TPMS to set your pressures without applying a correction - you'll end up overinflating your tires by 2-3PSI.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=167

Thinking about getting either the Michelin PS4 or PS A/S 3+.

Are you putting these on a second set of wheels? Keep in mind that alternate wheels will also impact efficiency (due to aero design, less so due to weight), in addition to the tire rolling resistance. The factory MXMs plus aeros are very hard to beat. (Someone here is running Pirelli P7+ on 19" and he gets excellent efficiency...but you do need to be aware of impacts on stopping distance.)

Thanks! And how often for tire rotation for AWD?

I would recommend you use a tire gauge to check wear for the first 2-10k miles, so you can understand how your tires are wearing. Also, some cars have come with excess toe and this will cause premature wear (and somewhat worse efficiency) - good to find that early.

If all goes well after that, you can follow the manual recommendations. But rotation is easy and there's no point in burning through tires due to bad alignment, so keep an eye on it.

There's a lot of discussion for PSI. Personally I'm using 45 PSI cold on my PS4S, but partially to balance out the edge wear I got on autocross. Also I feel like it may provide more protection for the 20" wheels. You have a P3D Stealth though so no worries for you.

42PSI cold is pretty much fine.

Lengthy aside:
Do note that the PSI indicated in the car by the TPMS is NOT gauge pressure (which is what matters) - it is absolute pressure minus a constant (sea level atmospheric pressure). This means that the TPMS will always read low vs. gauge pressure at elevation, by whatever the atmospheric pressure difference is from sea level pressure. E.g., they will read 2PSI lower than gauge pressure at 4000 feet. Gauge pressure is what matters. If you're coming up from sea level typically your cold gauge pressure is going to increase anyway (assuming temp is the same...which it won't be), so you won't necessarily notice this in the car.

But anyway, no idea where you're at, but relevant for people who live more than a couple thousand feet above sea level and are using TPMS to set their tire pressures. If you live at 5k feet, you do NOT want to use the TPMS to set your pressures without applying a correction - you'll end up overinflating your tires by 2-3PSI.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=167

Are you putting these on a second set of wheels? Keep in mind that alternate wheels will also impact efficiency (due to aero design, less so due to weight), in addition to the tire rolling resistance. The factory MXMs plus aeros are very hard to beat. (Someone here is running Pirelli P7+ on 19" and he gets excellent efficiency...but you do need to be aware of impacts on stopping distance.)

I would recommend you use a tire gauge to check wear for the first 2-10k miles, so you can understand how your tires are wearing. Also, some cars have come with excess toe and this will cause premature wear (and somewhat worse efficiency) - good to find that early.

If all goes well after that, you can follow the manual recommendations. But rotation is easy and there's no point in burning through tires due to bad alignment, so keep an eye on it.
Thanks for the in-depth reply! I'm in Seattle so about as close as you can get to sea level haha. Knowing that I'm going to be enjoying the P3D- speed, I'm guessing the OEM tires won't last long, which is why I'm already considering new tires for it. Not sure if I want to buy a separate set of rims for winter tires though. I know that some cars do come with bad alignment so will definitely keep an eye out for that.