Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires and wear... a little frustrated about it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it sounds like the cars are still coming from the factory with crappy alignment. It sucks you have to pay another $100 to get an alignment after picking up the car..
More likely the alignment gets knocked out of spec during transportation. This happens with every car.

I've had my new p85d for about 3000 miles now with 21" wheels. Not staggered setup. I'm not a car guy, what should I do and when to keep my tires from wearing prematurely?

1. Rotate the tires right now (should have been done 1500 miles ago) so that every tire gets a turn on the drive axle. This helps set up an even wear pattern (Assumes you don't have a D).

2. Keep tire pressures up. You never want them to be below the vehicle placard pressure. Use an accurate gauge (note: $20 gauges are not accurate, despite what you may hear) and do not rely on TPMS as your only source of pressure information.

3. Get an alignment check. In particular toe-out on the rear is deadly to tire wear.

4. Avoid doing too many rocket launches.

- - - Updated - - -

It may happen with other cars, but this is a LOT of "knocked out of spec during transportation" compared to other cars. Maybe they should check it before delivery since it's obvious a significant issue.

I believe it's quite common for all cars. Anecdotal: three out of the last five cars I purchased were out.
No so anecdotal: I dealt with this all the time in a former life, and spent a fair amount of time tracking down where this happened (because people always blame the tires first). Note that being out of alignment doesn't always result in tire wear, sometime it causes instability or wandering when hit by side winds.

Update on the original post:

I had an alignment done at Tesla and hopefully it will be done right this time around, however the most important thing is they replaced my 2 rear tires. I have the feeling it will fall under Good Will, but I don't have the final sheet yet, as they are reviewing some logs of the car regarding the battery.

I wish I had the chance to test the AP, but their loaner had 6.2 with a reminder to install 7.0, I guess even Tesla likes 6.2 UI for it's cars :)

Keep on bugging Tesla... that's what I have been doing.

Glad to know that Tesla service is aware of this issue throughout the country.

Update on the original post:

I had an alignment done at Tesla and hopefully it will be done right this time around, however the most important thing is they replaced my 2 rear tires. I have the feeling it will fall under Good Will, but I don't have the final sheet yet, as they are reviewing some logs of the car regarding the battery.

I wish I had the chance to test the AP, but their loaner had 6.2 with a reminder to install 7.0, I guess even Tesla likes 6.2 UI for it's cars :)

I got the closing sheet today and this is the explanation for the cause of the wear:

"Concern: Rear tires are worn on inner edges
Corrections: Tires - Rear - Set
verified customer concern,inner edges worn due to old control arms,upon inspection looks like they been replaced before,no control arms needed."

FYI: I had rear control arms and bushings replaced during my last visit in early September along with alignment done.

They replaced the tires as part of that issue, no charge for it. Service wise, I can't be more happy that Tesla addressed this is the best possible way, I just wish they will sort this issue on their cars that won't plague owners in the future.

May have been mentioned already, so sorry. But I worked with Tesla to dial in the lowest toe in and camber that was within spec. My new tires are wearing perfectly evenly now, saving me quite a bit. I ran through my factory Michi's in only 9K mi. I was pissed. I also changed to Hankooks.

I'm with my winter tires now, will see how they wear over time, currently at 6-7/32 between front and rear. I'll keep an eye as I put miles on them over the winter.
I'll ask Tesla to send me the details of the alignment, as they didn't include it with the closing sheet.