Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires are Already Bald After 14523 Miles in Less Than 2 Years and? Is this Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m running two sets. Just finished 9k miles on The Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 20” winter tires. They still look brand new. My original 22” Pirelli that came with the car only have 2k miles, just recently got them back on. I’m dreading the day I’ll have to change those, better start saving now lol. Maybe should have Tesla check the alignment driving on Canadian winter roads takes a beating.

To everyone participated in the discussion, thanks a lot for sharing!

I ended up with a new set of 'Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV'.

Took 2 days to be shipped to store (Discount Tire), and 20 mins quick install.
They were well aware of the 'pucks' so no problem providing my lift pucks to them for lifting.

I know these new tires are sport/summer tires and might be worn even faster.
But I never had sport/summer tires before, wanted to try them out.
Also I'm prepared to buy another new set after 10k miles lol.

Will report back on how the new tires perform!

IMG_1631.jpeg

Reactions: wreighven and bhorn
Time to replace our OEMs on our 2018 MX (265/275) with 26k miles. We’re on our third puncture (L.A.). Really frustrating.

SC has been not very responsive after letting us know the only replacement they carry are the same OEM Contis. Not going to do that again.

When you folks refer to “Discount Tire” is it America’s Best Tire or Discount Tire Centers or another?

TIA

My tire place removed 2 screws and a nail from one tire

What I want to know is: why is it that a nail lying flat on the road goes straight into my tire, but goes into wood sideways when I use a hammer? Maybe for my next project I should just dump all the wood and nails into the street, toss in a hammer, and run the whole thing over a few times??!

My first said of Continentals lasted about 20k miles. I got Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus from Discount Tire. I am not a performance driver by any means but these seem solid as a good all around tire for driving the family around. They did not send to impact range or road noise much at all. I'm going to get these again the next time I need to change them as they were about half price ($970) the stock tires when I got them.

Just had tire changed on my 3 at discount tire also. They did a great job making it contactless. I paid online and even stayed in my vehicle during the tire change (20 min).
Precisely what I did because I thought even 24K mile on my originals was too low, but compared to others, I guess not. I got same tires you did as a replacement at about same price and very happy. I have 9K miles on them now and practically unmeasurable wear that I can notice. We shall see how well they hold up.

Reactions: Terthen
Time to replace our OEMs on our 2018 MX (265/275) with 26k miles. We’re on our third puncture (L.A.). Really frustrating.

SC has been not very responsive after letting us know the only replacement they carry are the same OEM Contis. Not going to do that again.

When you folks refer to “Discount Tire” is it America’s Best Tire or Discount Tire Centers or another?

TIA

Discount tire centers for me

862A9E01-CE6D-4E28-887F-4A58EF311081.png
Thanks everyone for clarifying “Discount Tires”. I guess www.discounttire.com goes directly to America’s Tire.

I’ve narrowed down my choice to the Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus and the Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus II (has more tread, better wet traction, also less expensive). Not sure how more tread will impact efficiency.

The Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus II is NOT recommended by TireRack because the 265 and the 275 have different speed ratings (H vs. V). But America’s Tire packages as a set and even Pirelli on their website shows two tires with different speed rating for front and back.

Any thoughts on different speed ratings for the same make and model tire (different size and speed rating)?

TIA

To everyone participated in the discussion, thanks a lot for sharing!

I ended up with a new set of 'Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV'.

Took 2 days to be shipped to store (Discount Tire), and 20 mins quick install.
They were well aware of the 'pucks' so no problem providing my lift pucks to them for lifting.

I know these new tires are sport/summer tires and might be worn even faster.
But I never had sport/summer tires before, wanted to try them out.
Also I'm prepared to buy another new set after 10k miles lol.

Will report back on how the new tires perform!

View attachment 541561

How does it ride comparing to your old Continental? Smooth and quiet? I have the oem 22", and the scorpion zero are too stiff. Thinking of switching them out for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV.

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing!

The only problem left for me is that I can’t even drive the car to the 1 mile away discount tire because the flat tire is completely flat. I’ll figure something out with them tomorrow.

You could use a DIY Gorilla Glue type flexible plug. Soak a rubber plug in glue and jam it in. Should easily hold pressure till you can get to the tire shop. Most autoparts stores carry these emergency kits with plugs/glue/insertion tool.

Tires pictures at the end.

Got a flat tire recently. I was going to remove the tire and send it to Discount Tire to patch, but found out that my tires are severely worn after only 14523 miles / 20 months.

I never had taken close looks at my tires before because I expected them to last for at lease 3 years / 20k miles, so this is pretty shocking to me.

Is this normal for Model X OEM 20' Continental Tires (265/45R20 and 275/45R20)?

I know that it depends on a lot of factors, but I don't see myself having any special driving patterns: never used it for any kind of racing, never drove off-road, less than 200 miles towing U-Haul trailers, never carried heavy cargo.

I'm buying 4 new tires tomorrow, any suggestions on where to buy and tire selections?
I'm planning to go to Discount Tire and buy the Michelin ones w/o foam (easier to patch).

Tires pictures:

View attachment 540403 View attachment 540404 View attachment 540405 View attachment 540406 View attachment 540407 View attachment 540408 View attachment 540409 View attachment 540410

Yes especially with Continental trash
See previous threads.

Get Pirelli all season Verde. 60k and going strong
Discount tires

My 2017 X just hit 18k miles and it’s tire replacement time, I trying to understand if getting the tires with the internal foam verses not is worth it. As I understand it the foam is used for road noise reduction, is there any info on the difference in noise that can help in the decision process?

My 2017 X just hit 18k miles and it’s tire replacement time, I trying to understand if getting the tires with the internal foam verses not is worth it. As I understand it the foam is used for road noise reduction, is there any info on the difference in noise that can help in the decision process?

Foam is about as an effective marketing tool as filling tires with nitrogen (stupid pill marketing). Stay away from anything with CONTINENTAL on it. Guaranteed blowouts and low mileage. I took my Model X in for service at 1,250 miles and my Continentals read 7. Can you believe 7. They must have a special worn tire for those of us paying $100K for our cars. Fool me once.............

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/pirelli-scorpion-verde-a-s-plus#

Had them on my 2016 Model X. Great grip, great ride, quiet, sold the care with 52,234 miles on the tires and going strong.

Quick question, I’m about to send the car into a tire shop (America’s tire or American tire depot).
What are questions I need to ask in order for these shops to install the tires correctly?
Still debating which exact tire to purchase.
My two most important factors are road noise and tread life.
My TMC brothers, please offer up your wisdom. I’m in the LA area and the roads here are horrible.
Much thanks and gratitude.

From the info I’ve gathered on here I’ve heard good things about
PIRELLI
SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON

regarding noise

Limited sizes of the Scorpion Verde All Season are available with Pirelli Noise Cancelling System, which involves the manufacturer adhering a layer of sound-absorbing foam to the inner liner of the tire to reduce cabin noise in the vehicle.

Reactions: tinc