Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires at 3/32 with 17,500 miles. Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 MR M3. Bought it in March of 2019. Had some minor service done recently and the service advisor informed me that my OEM Michelin tires were at 3/32. I have 17,500 miles on the car. I know that’s a lot for one year but I didn’t think it would be enough to completely wear out the tires.

Is that amount of wear normal? If not, do you know if Michelin would consider these defective and offer a proration?
Thanks

Attachments

• 84F5521D-AF65-4907-9B9C-0357A2100158.jpeg
    84F5521D-AF65-4907-9B9C-0357A2100158.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 75
I have a 2019 MR M3. Bought it in March of 2019. Had some minor service done recently and the service advisor informed me that my OEM Michelin tires were at 3/32. I have 17,500 miles on the car. I know that’s a lot for one year but I didn’t think it would be enough to completely wear out the tires.

Is that amount of wear normal? If not, do you know if Michelin would consider these defective and offer a proration?
Thanks
Yes. Michelin tires. My wifes model 3 are at 3/32 at just under 12K miles. Going in tomorrow for new ones. My model S also goes through a set in 12K.

Reactions: wolfwill23
Electric cars put a lot more stress on the tires. They put down full torque from a standstill, which is what tears up the tread. There are a few companies working on rubber compounds that wear better for electric cars, but until then, it's part of the cost of ownership... Just remind yourself of the other areas where you save :)

Reactions: SlimJim
My Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires just got replaced a few days ago. Only got to 26K miles and they were worn down to 2/32” so it was definitely time for new tires. Not used to tires running out so quickly and I’m not too happy with having to replace them that soon but I guess this is one of the very few downsides of having an EV. Went with Continental PureContact LS for the new tires, hoping they’ll last to at least 30K.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng and SlimJim
My Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires just got replaced a few days ago. Only got to 26K miles and they were worn down to 2/32” so it was definitely time for new tires. Not used to tires running out so quickly and I’m not too happy with having to replace them that soon but I guess this is one of the very few downsides of having an EV. Went with Continental PureContact LS for the new tires, hoping they’ll last to at least 30K.
Do you mind if I ask what you paid for the new set? There are supposedly some 'Tesla specific' Michelins that run around $265 per tire. But the guy at Discount said that Michelin may give me a proration credit because these wore out so quickly. Always worth asking I guess.

Also, have you taken the car on the highway with the new tires yet? How's the road noise compared to the Michelins?

Thanks
Depends on how you drive (and your roads). With predominately conservative driving mostly on the freeway and a few rotations, I've gotten 46K on my OEM Michelins. They are down to approximately 1/32 and it's time for me to replace them (this weekend?) These vehicles are heavy and have gobs of torque- the M3 can obliterate tires very quickly if not careful.

Do you mind if I ask what you paid for the new set? There are supposedly some 'Tesla specific' Michelins that run around $265 per tire. But the guy at Discount said that Michelin may give me a proration credit because these wore out so quickly. Always worth asking I guess.

Got them at Mavis Tire which has the exact same price as they are on Tire Rack, $169 a tire (not including all of the other install stuff they tack on).

Also, have you taken the car on the highway with the new tires yet? How's the road noise compared to the Michelins?

Can’t comment on road noise level yet. Haven’t done much highway driving since getting the new tires and I’m always blasting my music too. I’ll try and turn down the hard rock / metal on my next highway drive to see how the road noise is with the Continentals.