Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tires at costco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to Costco in Vallejo, Ca tonight and was told they won’t touch my model S but I can bring the wheels and they will mount the Tire’s but there will be no warranty as in they will last xxxxx miles. They won’t even dismount the tires! I went ahead and ordered the 21 inch Michelin Pilot Sports for right around $1120 out the door but I’m going to do more research and maybe cancel the order.
I’m guessing the 21’s are are going to be more no matter which brand tire.
Any thoughts from anybody?

By the way I met a Tesla suspension engineer this weekend that was racing a Formula F race car at Fontana and he suggested then Michelin Pilot Sport Tires which of course are awaiting me at Costco. But I’m going to have to figure out the smartest choice given their reluctance to touch my car. Maybe I’ll take tires to SC for mounting.

I went to Costco in Vallejo, Ca tonight and was told they won’t touch my model S but I can bring the wheels and they will mount the Tire’s but there will be no warranty as in they will last xxxxx miles. They won’t even dismount the tires! I went ahead and ordered the 21 inch Michelin Pilot Sports for right around $1120 out the door but I’m going to do more research and maybe cancel the order.
I’m guessing the 21’s are are going to be more no matter which brand tire.
Any thoughts from anybody?[/QUOTE

The Model S is on their list of cars Costco sells and installs tires for. What grounds do they have for denying it? On the other hand, do you want a place that doesn't WANT to touch your car actually touching it? My local Costco in Merced mounted my tires I bought from them.

That said, they'd PREFER not to touch my car either, but I install my lift pads and align their lift arms myself and then tell them when to raise it.
I've had two different experiences with two Costcos. I had the tired on our S changed at a Costco and everything seemed fine. When I went to check on the cost of tires for my X at a different location they said Costco doesn't work on Teslas because Tesla will not give them written confirmation on the jack points. So they don't want to accept liability for damage. He said they've never done Teslas at that location (Dublin). Seems odd that different locations have different policies, but I guess they do.

I've had two different experiences with two Costcos. I had the tired on our S changed at a Costco and everything seemed fine. When I went to check on the cost of tires for my X at a different location they said Costco doesn't work on Teslas because Tesla will not give them written confirmation on the jack points. So they don't want to accept liability for damage. He said they've never done Teslas at that location (Dublin). Seems odd that different locations have different policies, but I guess they do.

The jack points are documented in the owners manual and every where else the federal law mandates. That's one lame ass excuse :)

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I've done Tire Rack installed by Tesla and I've done local expert but haven't ventured to Costco for Model S yet (did do that with our family truckster- service was perfectly fine).

The Tire Rack route was an extra step in that I had to order the tires and have them shipped to the Service Center. I think I got the $70 card. The next time I needed tires I compared prices on Tire Rack vs. my local expert and the price delta was like $20 total so I just let them do the whole thing.

Both times- the Service Center and Dyke Tire- the work has been done great. Zero issues. I use the tire expert exclusively now because of their access to more tire makes/models. The SC has some limitations. I'm on Continentals.

The OP is in Chesapeake VA, which is about 2 hours from Richmond but if this is your first go round and you're worried about having strangers who may or may not know how to work on your car (but most will claim they have), then just have the Service Center in Richmond do it. They're great to work with.

I had all four tires replaced at the Costco in Van Nuys, CA. The tire guy didn't flinch and knew exactly what to do. Replaced with the exact same tires as the original: Michelin 245/45R19. Cost was about 25% cheaper at Costco than the Tesla Service Center 2.5 miles away. But there was no coffee or soft drinks in the Costco waiting area.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Yesterday I travelled to the Dublin SC and learned that a set of Michelin Pilots would be $1560 out the door. If my local Costco would do it it would be $1120. But they won't so I ventured to Americas Tire in Napa, Ca. and the price will be $1221 out the door so I'll be canceling my Costco order.
But first I need to find someone to fix the curb rash. Tesla wants $250 a wheel and The Napa outfit $175 but I think I'll find a better deal. There are YouTube vids on it and it's not that big a deal.
Any advice on that?

Went to my local Costco today for a tire rotation. they wouldn't do it (despite doing it previously) because they said they didn't know where the jack points were so they couldn't lift the car. A sorry ass excuse if you ask me. I live in Baton Rouge and I don't really know of any other places that would have ever worked on a Tesla before. guess I gotta chance it somewhere or just suck it up and drive to the service center and pay their hilarious $80 rotation fee.

Went to my local Costco today for a tire rotation. they wouldn't do it (despite doing it previously) because they said they didn't know where the jack points were so they couldn't lift the car. A sorry ass excuse if you ask me. I live in Baton Rouge and I don't really know of any other places that would have ever worked on a Tesla before. guess I gotta chance it somewhere or just suck it up and drive to the service center and pay their hilarious $80 rotation fee.

Would you WANT them to try and figure out where the jack points are? Are you bringing your own lift pads or are you expecting costco to supply them? I have my own and install them and *I* do the lift arm alignment and let them know when it's ok to lift. I wouldn't have it any other way otherwise you're going to get crimped and dented battery casing around the lift points.

By the way I met a Tesla suspension engineer this weekend that was racing a Formula F race car at Fontana and he suggested then Michelin Pilot Sport Tires which of course are awaiting me at Costco. But I’m going to have to figure out the smartest choice given their reluctance to touch my car. Maybe I’ll take tires to SC for mounting.
A while back ago I checked Costco's website and they didn't have any times listed for 245/35R21 or 265/35/R21, but now they do (although the wider one is unavailable currently in my area). I'm going back and forth on whether to keep my Arachnids or sell them, but if I can get the tires replaced at Costco then I'll probably keep them (I rely too heavily upon Costco's tire road hazard protection package for punctures).

Yesterday I travelled to the Dublin SC and learned that a set of Michelin Pilots would be $1560 out the door. If my local Costco would do it it would be $1120. But they won't so I ventured to Americas Tire in Napa, Ca. and the price will be $1221 out the door so I'll be canceling my Costco order.
But first I need to find someone to fix the curb rash. Tesla wants $250 a wheel and The Napa outfit $175 but I think I'll find a better deal. There are YouTube vids on it and it's not that big a deal.
Any advice on that?
Curious how this ended up. I'm closer to Vallejo, but your post makes me think I should try the Concord Costco.

Thats a local problem, no issues here in Virginia, did they hire waterboy as a Costco tire installer?

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Anyone know if costco will help change from winter to summer wheels if you buy tires from them (if i didnt buy the winters from them). Im buying the michelin pilot sports as couldnt pass up the price. Not quite ready for them to be on the car so i want then to mount and balance and give me the wheels back so i can have them put on the car around april when it warms up (and then was hoping they would switch the wheels out in the winter since wouldnt be any different than rotating). Wasnt sure
If theyd do it
Yes. If you buy a set of tires, summer or winter, they do the switch-over for free. At least that's what I was told. Didn't matter which season, just as long one set was from them.

• Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
I went to the Richmond CA CostCo to order a new set of MXM4s for my S. I didn't have an appointment and so I waited for quite awhile. But eventually I was helped. I knew exactly what I wanted. I wanted the same thing. MXM4s. I did NOT want Pilot Sports or anything else. I wanted MXM4s. It took them about a half an hour and eventually they said they couldn't order them. I thanked them for their time (!) and went out to my car, pulled out my iPhone+credit card and ordered them online. From CostCo. That was Tuesday. This is Friday. My account just said they shipped today at 2:18. If they shipped from Bakersfield then they could be here tomorrow. If it'a the East Coast, well then, probably not.

MXM4s are a good tire. The price at CostCo was $1200 installed + out the door and then deduct an eventual Michelin rebate of probably $120. That's a good deal.

However, an MXM4 is not an exotic tire, and I HAVE ordered exotic tires from Richmond CostCo. I'm a little annoyed but not a lot. It is what it is and the outcome is still good. So this is just a datapoint for the next Tesla owner + CostCo member.

I stopped using Costco tires years ago. Besides limited selection, there’s always an insane wait for tire rotations. In our area, there’s limited online reservations and too much hassle to either wait 2-3 hours or drop your car off and then come back to get it. America’s Tire/Discount Tire has been awesome. They match or beat Costco’s price, have more tire options, and stay on schedule with online reservations and get me in and out in 25 minutes per rotation.