Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Michelin, Goodyear, and Pirelli are producing EV specific tires in these sizes found on Tire Rack or Discount Tire:
Michelin Pilot Sport EV - Max Performance Summer - 255/40-R20 - Treadwear: 6 Years / 20,000 Miles.
Goodyear ElectricDrive GT - Ultra High Performance All-Season - 235/40-R19 - Treadwear: 6 Years / 40,000 Miles.
Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect - Ultra High Performance All-Season - 235/45-R18, 245/45-R19, 235/40-R19, 255/40-R20 - Treadwear: Unlimited Time / 50,000 Miles.

If you have found other EV specific tires or sizes please add them to the list.

I just installed the Pirelli 235/45-R18 on my Model 3, dual motor (46 PSI). Have just over 550 miles on them in mixed driving and averaging 224 Wh/Mile. Handling is excellent (dry roads only so far) and they are very quiet.

Keep in mind you don’t have to use EV specific tires. It is a little bit of a marketing ploy. Often means the tires are designed with a focus on range and a bit higher load rating since EVs tend to be heavy.

But any tire with sufficient load rating is fine, and if you don’t care about that last 5 to 10% of range you can use more performance oriented tires too.

Michelin, Goodyear, and Pirelli are producing EV specific tires in these sizes found on Tire Rack or Discount Tire:
Michelin Pilot Sport EV - Max Performance Summer - 255/40-R20 - Treadwear: 6 Years / 20,000 Miles.
Goodyear ElectricDrive GT - Ultra High Performance All-Season - 235/40-R19 - Treadwear: 6 Years / 40,000 Miles.
Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect - Ultra High Performance All-Season - 235/45-R18, 245/45-R19, 235/40-R19, 255/40-R20 - Treadwear: Unlimited Time / 50,000 Miles.

If you have found other EV specific tires or sizes please add them to the list.

I just installed the Pirelli 235/45-R18 on my Model 3, dual motor (46 PSI). Have just over 550 miles on them in mixed driving and averaging 224 Wh/Mile. Handling is excellent (dry roads only so far) and they are very quiet.

You are the first review for these tires, with many people waiting for feedback. Have you notice any change in efficiency from before?
I don't have a lot of miles on them yet, but yes. I did a test run from Woodland Park, CO back to Colorado Springs, a short, about 18 miles, and about 1,500 feet drop drive. Normally I gain 3 miles of range, this time I gained 4 miles.

Reactions: markc2
Keep in mind you don’t have to use EV specific tires. It is a little bit of a marketing ploy. Often means the tires are designed with a focus on range and a bit higher load rating since EVs tend to be heavy.

But any tire with sufficient load rating is fine, and if you don’t care about that last 5 to 10% of range you can use more performance oriented tires too.
Please note that all of these tires are Ultra High Performance tires, no performance loss.
Yes, they do have better range - the P Zero Elect is designed to have 15% less rolling resistance than the regular P Zero.
Also the P Zero Elect is running $30 cheaper per tire than the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4.

How does the 224 Wh/mile compare to what you were getting before (on what tires at what pressure)?

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Nokian One - Premium All-Season 235/45-R18, 245/45-R19, 235/40-R19, 255/40-R20 (all XL and V-rated) - Treadware 80,000 miles
(not stated as being specifically designed for EVs, but noted on various sites as being especially suitable for them)

Last edited:
Normally I gain 3 miles of range, this time I gained 4 miles.
Note that what could have happened was you gained 3.6miles when you normally gain 3.4.

Please note that all of these tires are Ultra High Performance tires, no performance loss.
Not all UHP tires are the same. There are vast differences between them. It's already been theorized that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S T0 that used to come on the Model 3P is not the same compound as the normal MPS4S, hence the T0 designation.

Now, none of this will matter to 99% of drivers, but lap times don't lie and not all UHP tires perform the same. If that was true, we'd all just buy the cheapest tire we could in the category we want. It is quite possible for the manufacturer to tune a tire to increase range and decrease grip and still call it a UHP tire- UHP is a marketing term without much meaning just like "EV" tire is.

It's already been theorized that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S T0 that used to come on the Model 3P is not the same compound as the normal MPS4S, hence the T0 designation.
Something is different between the T0 and non-T0 versions of the same model tire in the same size, even if it not something obvious like the load or speed rating. In the case of Tesla T0 (or T1) spec tires, the difference is sometimes the acoustic foam in the tire, although that may not be the only difference.

Special OEM versions of tires are not that unusual.

Just had my 3rd set of Continental Procontact RX CSI installed - 235/40 R19 - Discount Tire. First 2 sets lasted 42,500 miles each. Rotated every 5,000 miles, drive conservative, 80% highway 70 mph, alignment at 45,000 miles. Lifetime 240 wh/mi. - works for me.

Nokian One - Premium All-Season 235/45-R18, 245/45-R19, 235/40-R19, 255/40-R20 (all XL and V-rated) - Treadware 80,000 miles
(not stated as being specifically designed for EVs, but noted on various sites as being especially suitable for them)
I just installed these yesterday. I love my Hakkepelitta R3 winter tires so I figured I'd give these a shot. Pretty impressed so far.

Reactions: euro2012
How are the noise and comfort levels?
As these are the only tire that I have ever experienced on my Tesla, I can't really compare. They seem relatively quiet and smooth riding, despite the inherent stiff suspension and 19" wheel size. If I inflate over 42 psi they seem a bit too harsh for my liking. I ran them until 3/32" tread depth, at which point they seemed to produce a bit more noise - as determined from the new tire sound, Otherwise, I didn't really notice the change in tire noise until the new install, as wear related noise change is so gradual and subjective.

I really liked the Michelin Energy Savers on other vehicles, but not available in my size. In fact, I don't see many LRR options for this size, but it appears that there are a few future options in the works. I needed to make an immediate decision and didn't want to risk an efficiency loss, so I went with Tesla's choice and stuck with the stock tire.

Reactions: theslimshadyist