Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so only the larger sizes have lower load ratings.. hmm
Hmmm, interesting.

Looks like Tire Rack lists the following OEM tires for the Model 3:
  • 18" wheels: 235/45R18
    • Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (T0), 98Y
    • Michelin Primacy MXM4 (T1), 98W
    • Hankook Kinergy GT (foam), 94V <- appeared briefly on Tire Rack, then disappeared
  • 19" wheels: 235/40R19
    • Continental ProContact RX (T1), 96W
    • Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 (foam), 96W
  • 20" wheels: 235/35R20
    • Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (T0), 92Y
    • Pirelli P Zero PZ4 (T0), 92Y

Hmmm, interesting.

Looks like Tire Rack lists the following OEM tires for the Model 3:
  • 18" wheels: 235/45R18
    • Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (T0), 98Y
    • Michelin Primacy MXM4 (T1), 98W
    • Hankook Kinergy GT (foam), 94V <- appeared briefly on Tire Rack, then disappeared
  • 19" wheels: 235/40R19
    • Continental ProContact RX (T1), 96W
    • Hankook Ventus S1 Evo3 (foam), 96W
  • 20" wheels: 235/35R20
    • Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (T0), 92Y
    • Pirelli P Zero PZ4 (T0), 92Y

• Hankook Kinergy GT, is foam + or -?
  • W or Y means?

Those Hankook tires have a foam inner liner used for sound deadening, similar to the special-for-Tesla (T0 or T1) Michelin and Pirelli tires.

V, W, Y are speed ratings for 149, 168, 186 mph respectively. The top speed of the Model 3 is 140, 145, 162 mph for the RWD, LR, P. Not that most drivers drive anywhere near that fast.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
The foam versions of the tires are supposed to be quieter than without the foam. But verifying that would mean doing a noise measuring test, then removing the foam from the tires and redoing the noise measuring test.
i mean't b/t Michelin, Pirelli and Hankook tires. Quietest?

I always bought Michelin due to great tread warranty, but the fact they won't honor it on the OEM means I'm going to look at the rest.

Michelin, Goodyear, and Pirelli are producing EV specific tires in these sizes found on Tire Rack or Discount Tire:
Michelin Pilot Sport EV - Max Performance Summer - 255/40-R20 - Treadwear: 6 Years / 20,000 Miles.
Goodyear ElectricDrive GT - Ultra High Performance All-Season - 235/40-R19 - Treadwear: 6 Years / 40,000 Miles.
Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect - Ultra High Performance All-Season - 235/45-R18, 245/45-R19, 235/40-R19, 255/40-R20 - Treadwear: Unlimited Time / 50,000 Miles.

If you have found other EV specific tires or sizes please add them to the list.

I just installed the Pirelli 235/45-R18 on my Model 3, dual motor (46 PSI). Have just over 550 miles on them in mixed driving and averaging 224 Wh/Mile. Handling is excellent (dry roads only so far) and they are very quiet.
Can you provide thoughts on the Pirelli A/S Elect tires? How do they compare to the stock MXM4's? I have been leaning toward the Pirelli's as my replacements. The MXM4's seem very harsh but that could just be the M3 suspension also.

Reactions: LadyMacbrat
Can you provide thoughts on the Pirelli A/S Elect tires? How do they compare to the stock MXM4's? I have been leaning toward the Pirelli's as my replacements. The MXM4's seem very harsh but that could just be the M3 suspension also.
I do not think there is much info out yet on the Pirelli A/S Elect and I have done quite a bit of searching. Below is a link to the one user review posted on Tire Rack. Lucky you the poster is switching from MXM4. The person only had the Pirelli tires for sixty miles and so for me not much to really know anything.

Wheel and tire availability is a significant variable in choosing a setup these days. Tires go in and out of nationwide backorder. Forged and semi-forged wheels often are many months backordered. With my needs and wants I chose to compromise. I have waiting for a September install 18 inch Sportsline wheels, Pirelli A/S Elect, and TPMS . If I was willing to wait I probably would have purchased the new Nokian 1.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
@Jeremy3292 Having used the MXM4 once on my Model S, I can assure you it must be suspension that you find harsh, not those tires. :) Not saying they're anything special for ride quality but they were at least mushier and softer feeling than the performance tires I've typically used.

Model S air suspension rides quite well and the MXM4 didn't change that.

Personally I hated the MXM4 for its low grip, mushy cornering, and poor road feel...but ride quality, noise level, and efficiently were good!

Btw when was your Model 3 built? I found the stock ride quality of October 2021 Model 3's to be fine - not great, but decent, just a little busy and bouncy ride but not nearly so bad as a Model Y of the same era. However there's many reports here that older Model 3 had firmer suspension tuning, with worse ride quality, though possibly better handling.

(I've since upgraded my suspension and my car now rides and handles better than stock, at the same time, when set on the medium to softer end of my adjustable dampers. But aftermarket suspension is not for everyone...it would be nice if Tesla offered higher quality damping from the factory. I also went for firmer springs so when driving slowly on certain surfaces they'll make themselves known no matter how gentle the damping is, but stock-like spring rates were an option, I was just more focused on handling upgrade than ride quality.)

@Jeremy3292 Having used the MXM4 once on my Model S, I can assure you it must be suspension that you find harsh, not those tires. :) Not saying they're anything special for ride quality but they were at least mushier and softer feeling than the performance tires I've typically used.

Model S air suspension rides quite well and the MXM4 didn't change that.

Personally I hated the MXM4 for its low grip, mushy cornering, and poor road feel...but ride quality, noise level, and efficiently were good!

Btw when was your Model 3 built? I found the stock ride quality of October 2021 Model 3's to be fine - not great, but decent, just a little busy and bouncy ride but not nearly so bad as a Model Y of the same era. However there's many reports here that older Model 3 had firmer suspension tuning, with worse ride quality, though possibly better handling.

(I've since upgraded my suspension and my car now rides and handles better than stock, at the same time, when set on the medium to softer end of my adjustable dampers. But aftermarket suspension is not for everyone...it would be nice if Tesla offered higher quality damping from the factory. I also went for firmer springs so when driving slowly on certain surfaces they'll make themselves known no matter how gentle the damping is, but stock-like spring rates were an option, I was just more focused on handling upgrade than ride quality.)
My 2021 M3 LR was built in August 2021. I think the M3's suspension is just much harsher than what I am used to, coming from the "family sedan" range of vehicles like a Hyundai Sonata or Toyota Camry. Not a big deal as I've gotten used to it but you can definitely feel all the bumps in the road.

I am buying a set of the Tesla 19" sport rims with the stock Conti tires from a user on here at the end of this month. I assume the 19" rim/tire combo will feel a bit harsher but some have said it is the same as far as ride quality goes, so we will see.

I now have just under 2,000 miles on the Pirelli A/S Elects. All types of driving, our highways out west have 75 mph speed limits.
So far am averaging 10 wh/mi better than with my previous tires, the MXM4.
Much less road noise with the Elects.
Handling is also better - just did a drive on a country road with kettle holes (very big and deep potholes). I was able to maneuver around them much nimbler than with the MXM4s.
Ride comfort about the same, but a lot of this depends on tire pressure as well as suspension. I like a stiff ride so I have after market anti-sway bars and tire pressure 46 psi.

I now have just under 2,000 miles on the Pirelli A/S Elects. All types of driving, our highways out west have 75 mph speed limits.
Handling is also better - just did a drive on a country road with kettle holes (very big and deep potholes). I was able to maneuver around them much nimbler than with the MXM4s.
Ride comfort about the same, but a lot of this depends on tire pressure as well as suspension. I like a stiff ride so I have after market anti-sway bars and tire pressure 46 psi.
Thanks for the review. Ever since those came out a few months ago they have been my top choice. I figure at the very least the tire was solely designed for an EV versus just a regular tire that was designed with a combustion engine and powertrain in mind.

Reactions: Pricedm
Thanks for the review. Ever since those came out a few months ago they have been my top choice. I figure at the very least the tire was solely designed for an EV versus just a regular tire that was designed with a combustion engine and powertrain in mind.
The marketing page at P zero all season plus: the elect revolution also for replacement indicates emphasis on low rolling resistance, low noise, and grip for acceleration. These characteristics may be more commonly emphasized by EV drivers, but that does not preclude some ICEV drivers from looking for the same characteristics.

Low rolling resistance is commonly an important factor when vehicle companies select OEM tires, but seems to be less commonly emphasized by those buying replacement tires. But that may be because there is not much in the way of published comparisons in rolling resistance between different tire models. So it may be of particular interest here when people report their electric economy with the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus ELECT tires in comparison with the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires.

Reactions: Pricedm
100% agree. I only have one 150 mile mountain drive on the Pirelli A/S Elect, so watt/mile consumption is "too soon to tell." But initial data shows similar or less w/m compared to OEM Michelin. Road dynamics are significantly better with the Pirellis.

Discount Tire had a $70 and $110 discount on Pirelli tires, including these, the week around Memorial holiday. Maybe again for July 4th...? But yeah, Michelin sale seems to be every month. I haven't seen any other discounts.

i'm hoping for Father's day. Also other issue is I'm @ 5 and 2-32 on front/rears. I'm debating waiting replacing them 2 at time so I don't have to wait for a sale. Rains are expected here in PHX next week so I'm on borrowed time on the rears.

The consensus on this thread is Pirelli A/S Elects are the best for range? Any others that I should add to the list if range is the primary factor?

Found this https://www.tirerack.com/specialoff...MIzpfm86Sr-AIVExWtBh1jNwItEAEYASAAEgLMOfD_BwE

but their prices seem higher than DT. I like DT service and they PM

Last edited:
i'm hoping for Father's day. Also other issue is I'm @ 5 and 2-32 on front/rears. I'm debating waiting replacing them 2 at time so I don't have to wait for a sale. Rains are expected here in PHX next week so I'm on borrowed time on the rears.

The consensus on this thread is Pirelli A/S Elects are the best for range? Any others that I should add to the list if range is the primary factor?

I would just go ahead and just replace all 4 at once. Even though you still have some life on the front, I think it would be better if all 4 were the same. Then follow up with proper rotation down the road (the front being 3/32 more sticks out to me).

I think whenever there are specials they may require you to buy 4 anyways.

Also 2/32 is pretty dangerous. Is trying to save a few hundred bucks worth the possibility of totaling your car?