Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm hoping for Father's day. Also other issue is I'm @ 5 and 2-32 on front/rears. I'm debating waiting replacing them 2 at time so I don't have to wait for a sale. Rains are expected here in PHX next week so I'm on borrowed time on the rears.

The consensus on this thread is Pirelli A/S Elects are the best for range? Any others that I should add to the list if range is the primary factor?

Found this https://www.tirerack.com/specialoff...MIzpfm86Sr-AIVExWtBh1jNwItEAEYASAAEgLMOfD_BwE

but their prices seem higher than DT. I like DT service and they PM
2/32" is very dangerous - replace all 4 and rotate the tires appropriately every 6,250 miles as per Tesla (I do 7,500 miles personally and have had no issues).

Yes....DIY tire rotation (easier than dumb oil change!) to balance out the torque wear on the rear tires. I rotate tires every 5k; takes 15 minutes at home with a decent floor jack and cordless impact wrench.

Discount Tire = Tire Rack = Tires.com are the same company.

If range (plus improving tire performance dynamics) over the OEM Michelin is your top priority, the Pirelli A/S Elect is a great choice. You can always use a Discount Tire credit card and pay over six months or 5% discount. Just know their credit approval process is a PITA, so much so that I stuck with my standard credit card.

Reactions: vickh
Yes....DIY tire rotation (easier than dumb oil change!) to balance out the torque wear on the rear tires. I rotate tires every 5k; takes 15 minutes at home with a decent floor jack and cordless impact wrench.

Discount Tire = Tire Rack = Tires.com are the same company.

If range (plus improving tire performance dynamics) over the OEM Michelin is your top priority, the Pirelli A/S Elect is a great choice. You can always use a Discount Tire credit card and pay over six months or 5% discount. Just know their credit approval process is a PITA, so much so that I stuck with my standard credit card.
yeah I get 5%-10 military discount too so not sure if I can stack. Plus get 2.5% back on my USAA card anyways.

Anyone here know when the Michelin Defender tires will be released soon? 80k mile tires with pretty good levels of road noise. had them on my highlander

Last edited:
2/32" is very dangerous - replace all 4 and rotate the tires appropriately every 6,250 miles as per Tesla (I do 7,500 miles personally and have had no issues).

Tread is mostly used to channel water away so the car does not hydroplane. The poster is in Arizona, so not much rain in the next few months. That said, yeah, I'd be looking to swap them out asap.

Reactions: DrChaos and vickh
Tread is mostly used to channel water away so the car does not hydroplane. The poster is in Arizona, so not much rain in the next few months. That said, yeah, I'd be looking to swap them out asap.

+1 Supposed to rain later this weekend (10% chance) so that 's my deadline. . I'm usually very ez on braking/acceleration (so says my USAA app!) But worried about blowouts and such

Ranger coming on Fri for inspection/rotation, after they change out my filter. Hoping my front @5/32 keep me relatively safe till then.

I got 42,752 miles out of my Primacy MXM4 235/45R18 on my 2020 M3 RWD SR+
Just setup a service appointment in Illinois for next week and Tesla quoted $1600+ for installing a new set.

Found a set of Pirelli P Zero AS Plus Elect in stock at a nearby Discount Tire so decided to go with those.
I like them so far. $1200 out the door without any promotions and lifetime rotations which I may or may not utilize.

Reactions: GTi_roadkill
Just setup a service appointment in Illinois for next week and Tesla quoted $1600+ for installing a new set.

Found a set of Pirelli P Zero AS Plus Elect in stock at a nearby Discount Tire so decided to go with those.
I like them so far. $1200 out the door without any promotions and lifetime rotations which I may or may not utilize.

wow... great mileage... most Highway?

Great OTD price. surprised TSLA charges that much more, esp since their other service is so reasonable/not a profit center. or maybe DT is that good.

Here's another national site, that some mom+pop places around here use. My concern is whether they see a lot of TSLAs

Great OTD price. surprised TSLA charges that much more, esp since their other service is so reasonable/not a profit center. or maybe DT is that good.
@vickh My theory is Tesla service is so overloaded with work that really must be done by them - warranty repairs and anything where Tesla specialized knowledge or software tools are needed - that they don't want tire business. Nothing special about changing tires or wheels on Tesla, besides trivial stuff like jacking or lifting it properly and getting the torque spec right. Any decent tire shop can work on them just fine. Better to save overloaded service center time to do real Tesla-specific work.

But if someone really wants to have Tesla change their tires, out of convenience or trust or whatever, sure they'll oblige, and charge for it. :)

I agree that in general Tesla service and parts pricing has been very very reasonable, much better than my experience with traditional car dealerships (for much cheaper car brands!). I've seen the same thing with their tire quotes though, much more expensive than anywhere else, for the same exact Tesla-spec tires (the only ones Tesla sells).

We usually use Discount Tire for our Teslas. Their pricing is good / competitive, but not weirdly cheap or anything.

You're in the higher mileage subset with >40k miles on the stock tires. I had 24,500 with minimal hard acceleration events; all four tires were down to 2 - 3/32.

I had a $1,200 quote from Tesla service center 4/2022 for stock Michelin tire replacement. Kinda interesting the cost variance from one location to another. But even at that cost, no way I would consider over the Pirelli P Zero AS Elect

@vickh My theory is Tesla service is so overloaded with work that really must be done by them - warranty repairs and anything where Tesla specialized knowledge or software tools are needed - that they don't want tire business. Nothing special about changing tires or wheels on Tesla, besides trivial stuff like jacking or lifting it properly and getting the torque spec right. Any decent tire shop can work on them just fine. Better to save overloaded service center time to do real Tesla-specific work.

But if someone really wants to have Tesla change their tires, out of convenience or trust or whatever, sure they'll oblige, and charge for it. :)

I agree that in general Tesla service and parts pricing has been very very reasonable, much better than my experience with traditional car dealerships (for much cheaper car brands!). I've seen the same thing with their tire quotes though, much more expensive than anywhere else, for the same exact Tesla-spec tires (the only ones Tesla sells).

We usually use Discount Tire for our Teslas. Their pricing is good / competitive, but not weirdly cheap or anything.

Speaking of weirdly cheap I found a site online

• Pirelli PZero All Season 235/45R18 94V $110

• or $163.39 Pirelli PZero All Season Plus 235/45R18 98Y

DT said they'd PM but Is a 94 acceptable for SR3 ? DT said he didn't think it would make that much of difference other than treadwear? Safety impact?

He did say Michelins and Pirelli's have the best treadwear warranty protocols

You're in the higher mileage subset with >40k miles on the stock tires. I had 24,500 with minimal hard acceleration events; all four tires were down to 2 - 3/32.

I had a $1,200 quote from Tesla service center 4/2022 for stock Michelin tire replacement. Kinda interesting the cost variance from one location to another. But even at that cost, no way I would consider over the Pirelli P Zero AS Elect

so you replaced all 4 at 2-32?I'm close to that on rears. makes me feel a little better at 28K miles :) I guess I'll get TSLA's quote this Fri.

Big difference b/t Pirelli P Zero AS Elect vs non elect? Range is imp. as a SR owner but not sure what % we're talking about?

Speaking of weirdly cheap I found a site online

• Pirelli PZero All Season 235/45R18 94V $110

• or $163.39 Pirelli PZero All Season Plus 235/45R18 98Y

DT said they'd PM but Is a 94 acceptable for SR3 ? DT said he didn't think it would make that much of difference other than treadwear? Safety impact?

He did say Michelins and Pirelli's have the best treadwear warranty protocols

Apparently, some Model 3 have been coming with tires with 94 load index (Hankook Kinergy GT).

But note that there are many P Zero tires. The ELECT ones come in 98Y, but there is also a non-ELECT one in the same size with 98Y.

Apparently, some Model 3 have been coming with tires with 94 load index (Hankook Kinergy GT).

But note that there are many P Zero tires. The ELECT ones come in 98Y, but there is also a non-ELECT one in the same size with 98Y.

great there's also the XL factor? I guess as long as DT has the 94 version in stock and if they'll install? Guy on the phone said only the ones DT.com lists are safe. ..

great there's also the XL factor? I guess as long as DT has the 94 version in stock and if they'll install? Guy on the phone said only the ones DT.com lists are safe. ..
For 235/45R18, it looks like XL tires have 98 load index.

Tesla seems to be vague about tire specs. For example, the sticker on the door jamb just says "235/45R18" without specifying load or speed rating like the sticker on many other cars. The lack of a P in front of the size suggests Euro-metric sizing, which tends to have higher load index (98 instead of 94 for P-metric in that size). Meanwhile, the tires that come on the cars have 98 load index.

Given the above, it may not be surprising that tire companies and retailers conservatively assume 98 load index is required. Of course, now some cars are coming with tires with 94 load index, upending such assumptions.

• Informative
Pirelli's site says the Elect has 15% less rolling resistance than the P Zero AS.

looks like my decision is made the Elects are OOS at my store. (which one of you got them ;) )

Got a P Zero AS PM at $170 so that's a plus. Hope they don't affect range too much or give quiet, comfort as a trade at least. Wish TSLA offered a an air susp. option on the 3..

For 235/45R18, it looks like XL tires have 98 load index.

Tesla seems to be vague about tire specs. For example, the sticker on the door jamb just says "235/45R18" without specifying load or speed rating like the sticker on many other cars. The lack of a P in front of the size suggests Euro-metric sizing, which tends to have higher load index (98 instead of 94 for P-metric in that size). Meanwhile, the tires that come on the cars have 98 load index.

Given the above, it may not be surprising that tire companies and retailers conservatively assume 98 load index is required. Of course, now some cars are coming with tires with 94 load index, upending such assumptions.
The Model 3 owners manual specifies P235:

1655729584345.png