Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires for 21" w/ raised wheel guards?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

I don't have my MS yet (P16302) but am already stressed about the cyclone wheels. It appears (and from reading the threads) that the interior of the wheel extends outward past the tire. Ugh, ugly curb rash in the future. Firstly, am I correct about this?

Does anybody know of any tires that fit and have a curb guard (Wheel Tech - Tire/Rim Protectors) of any sort?

For example, could one go wider and lower profile maintaing a similar rev/mi as the stock 245/35/21? I actually found this calc on tire rack. Tire Size Calculator 265/30/21 seems like it will fit and might give you a "guard for free" (being a little wider on the same rim). Hrmph.

Last edited:
As someone with curb rash on 3 wheels (although only minor on 2), I can say "yes", that you're correct. I haven't had an incident since those first ones, but I had 2 incidents in one week and have the wheels to show for it (and inspired some damage to the tire sidewall, requiring replacement of a tire -- ugh). The car is going into service today and wheel repair is one of the items.

It has been reported that some of the test cars (including Elon's) have used 265's on the rear. I confess I don't understand all the details of considerations that have to be made to do that, or whether special wheels were used with them. You might search for "different tire sizes" to find the threads where it was discussed, or maybe jerry33 will step in with some quick summaries here.

Thanks for the response. There is no magic to ti

- - - Updated - - -

As someone with curb rash on 3 wheels (although only minor on 2), I can say "yes", that you're correct. I haven't had an incident since those first ones, but I had 2 incidents in one week and have the wheels to show for it (and inspired some damage to the tire sidewall, requiring replacement of a tire -- ugh). The car is going into service today and wheel repair is one of the items.

Aw man, sorry to hear it. There's a really good chance that I am going to want to put aftermarket rims on my car after I get it (in what feels like 100 years). I wonder what the market is going to be like for a fresh new set of 21" cyclones...

It has been reported that some of the test cars (including Elon's) have used 265's on the rear. I confess I don't understand all the details of considerations that have to be made to do that, or whether special wheels were used with them. You might search for "different tire sizes" to find the threads where it was discussed, or maybe jerry33 will step in with some quick summaries here.

To get the full benefit of the 265s, the wheels need to have a wider rim width. There would be some suspension changes that go along with it too. Spring rate and different shock valving at the least. I don't know if they would alter the half shaft length, or the geometry (length of the various arms) or not.

To get the full benefit of the 265s, the wheels need to have a wider rim width. There would be some suspension changes that go along with it too. Spring rate and different shock valving at the least. I don't know if they would alter the half shaft length, or the geometry (length of the various arms) or not.

What he said. :) :confused:

I got some Alloy Gators for christmas and just installed them, so far very happy with them. They're very unobtrusive and you can carry them over when you get new tires.

Sig698 - I'm looking at getting some Alloy Gators as well, but not sure about black or silver. Since you have a Performance, I'm assuming you have the grey wheels and therefore got the black, but wanted to check. If you have the silver wheels, would you mind posting some photos? I'd be really curious to see how they look up close.

Thanks,

Sig698 - I'm looking at getting some Alloy Gators as well, but not sure about black or silver. Since you have a Performance, I'm assuming you have the grey wheels and therefore got the black, but wanted to check. If you have the silver wheels, would you mind posting some photos? I'd be really curious to see how they look up close.

Thanks,

Car Care: @#)$(*!% Curb rash... - Page 5

Here are some pictures from a field test with the rim guards.

Thanks,

I do indeed have the grey wheels and got the black gators. You can see pics in the thread linked above. If I had silver wheels, I would have probably still gotten the black since it blends perfectly with the color of the tires for a stealthier install. It may make the rims look a tiny bit smaller, but the light grey/"silver" gators aren't likely to be a perfect match for the oem silver wheels.