TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tires for 21" wheels?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by RobR, May 23, 2016.

1. RobR

RobR New Member

I have ordered a Tesla Model S 70 with the standard 19" wheels. Im planning to use the set of wheels for my winter tires and buy a pair of Vossen VFS2 in anthracite 21x9 (not staggered). I would like to have a set of tires wich doesn't use to much energy compared to the 19" and also a tire that doesn't have to much noise from the road... What should I buy?

2. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

21x9 wheels pretty much dictates that you're going to use 245/35R21 tires (Tesla's standard size tires for 21" wheels). The wheel itself will fit 255 and 265 tires, but there are no 255/35R21 tires available, and 265 tires would rub the inside of the front wheel wells.

In 245/35R21 tires, there are fewer selections available than other sizes, and all of them are summer tires (no all seasons), or there are a couple winter tires. None of them are rated for low rolling resistance.

The ones with the best noise profile will be:

1. Michelin Pilot Super Sport
    2. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
    3. Continental ExtremeContact DW
    4. Continental Contisport Contact 5P (these have the ContiSilent technology)

You might consider the Vossens in a 20x9 instead. There's a larger tire selection in 245/40R20 and 255/40R20, and there is a low-rolling resistance tire available, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus. The Pirelli Cinturato has a bit lower traction for launches, but this should not be an issue with the Model S 70.

3. RobR

RobR New Member

Thanks for your help!
    Wich tire would you choose for the 21"? I am thinking about 245/35/21 Continental Contisport Contact 5P....

4. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

5. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

I can let you know about these in a non-staggered setup next week. Just placed an order for them and should be here middle next week.

I've used Michelin's in past on my other cars and LOVED them, so this will be a bit of an experiment to see if I like the Continentals as much.

6. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

Yes, that is correct, but his Vossens are not a staggered set, they're square (all 4 wheels 21x9).

I would go with either the Contisport Contact 5P or the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

7. AMP85D

AMP85D Member

This is what I have. I think you will be pleased. These tires are smooth and quiet.

8. HarleyLtd

HarleyLtd Member

I'm sorry to sound like a noob but does the new refreshed 90D with 21" wheels staggered or are all four the same now?

9. bradhs

bradhs Member

All four are the same. P85+, most P85D's, P90D's, etc will come with staggered.

10. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

My 90D 21" came with staggered ContiSilents.

• Informative x 1
  11. bradhs

bradhs Member

Interesting, didn't think they shipped non performance models with staggered sets.

12. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

Yep, 245/265 and I just replaced one of each last week, so there's no mistaken.
    Too bad I didn't get the red calipers with them. :D