Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tires for LR with uberturbines 10.5 wheels all around (squared)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
first time going down the non-stock / OEM route with my car (usually just stick to wheels / tire size that came on car, never venture out) so very green on this subject.

i have:

- 21 MY LR
- have a squared uberturbine 21” 10.5” width set all around
- running pirellis but HATE them like most do due to wear and feeling EVERYTHING while driving
- want to get as thick as i can go on michelin ASAP (at 5/32 currently) will be ready for change in 1-2 mo so want to order ASAP.

care a lot about road comfort (wife always brings it up on drives) but also care about margin of error on speedo / odo. have heard that current state, tesla software doesn’t allow you to program tire specs and if you’re too far off OEM spec, you could be driving 82 and think you’re doing 75. trying to avoid that as much as possible

who here has a similar 21 squared setup on a MY LR and has done different tire size than OEM? OR someone who is just an expert that wouldn’t mind imparting some wisdom :)

TYIA!!

@SpicyPaneer - currently on 275/35/21 all around.

friend gave me 2 michelin spares he had that are 275 / 35/ 21 as well. thinking of throwing those on and getting 2x 275/40/21 - that size is on sale for 300/each vs ~430 each for 275/35/21.

do folks recommend i put the 35 on the front and 40 on rear or vice versa?

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
@SpicyPaneer - currently on 275/35/21 all around.

friend gave me 2 michelin spares he had that are 275 / 35/ 21 as well. thinking of throwing those on and getting 2x 275/40/21 - that size is on sale for 300/each vs ~430 each for 275/35/21.

do folks recommend i put the 35 on the front and 40 on rear or vice versa?
Any mileage difference? So if you use 10.5 inch wide in front & back does it look like it needs spacers or are you on the cavity rims? I’d like to rotate the tire front to back without looking goofy.

here

Attachments

• 3F535435-E75B-4936-8A89-4D013A5FC9D1.jpeg
    3F535435-E75B-4936-8A89-4D013A5FC9D1.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 326
I've seen some other threads where MYP owners are running 275/40/r21 on fronts and 295/40/r21 on rears. When i get new tires I am hoping 275/40 would work (i.e. no rubbing) since it will provide a bigger sidewall. I did see one thread where a MYLR owner said there was rubbing with 265/40/r21, but all the MYP owners running 275/40/r21 dont have any issues. I thought the MYLR would have more clearance, but idk. Im sure you already checked out the following link..https://tiresize.com/calculator....but helps understand the odometer errors as well. Since it is an originally staggered setup, not sure how the speedometer would change with a squared set. Looking forward to hearing any additional experience with a squared r21 set up on MYLR.

I've seen some other threads where MYP owners are running 275/40/r21 on fronts and 295/40/r21 on rears. When i get new tires I am hoping 275/40 would work (i.e. no rubbing) since it will provide a bigger sidewall. I did see one thread where a MYLR owner said there was rubbing with 265/40/r21, but all the MYP owners running 275/40/r21 dont have any issues. I thought the MYLR would have more clearance, but idk. Im sure you already checked out the following link..https://tiresize.com/calculator....but helps understand the odometer errors as well. Since it is an originally staggered setup, not sure how the speedometer would change with a squared set. Looking forward to hearing any additional experience with a squared r21 set up on MYLR.
interesting that LR owner with 265/40/21 got rubbing, esp if they were on 9.5 in the front. i looked up 265/ vs order i placed last night and am worried about fitment now (below) --- unless the 265 rested "fatter" on the 9.5 wheel and my 275/40 will stretch out on the 10.5 wheel?? im so new to this (never had non-stock wheels or tires ever and am now going even further off path by getting non stock tires lol)

have used used tiresize.com but i wish there was a way to see a top down / birds eye of the wheel well with *measurements of max accommodation*. i swear months ago i was on these forums and saw people posting screenshots from somewhere with a topdown view... forgot about it now though lol

i also read here (i think) that someone got in an argument with the shop and had to push hard / escalate to a manager - looking forward to that part too 🤣

until reading this thread i didnt notice that my setup would have an ODO/ speedo differential but also didnt notice + I wasn't pulled over either lol. I'll report back with new set on 12/14 with as many findings i can get...

1670424069928.png

ya, i thought the offset might make a difference since the 9.5" wheel is 45mm and the 10.5 is 48mm, but based on the offset calculator...https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/...it doesn't seem to solve a rubbing issue with the 265/40/r21. Would be good to know what the specific clearance specs are for the MYLR and MYP--haven't been able to poke around on this forum yet to see if that is already discussed. i'm gonna try and find that 265/40 reference again and see if they can explain where the rubbing is occurring.
tire.jpg

ya, i thought the offset might make a difference since the 9.5" wheel is 45mm and the 10.5 is 48mm, but based on the offset calculator...https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/...it doesn't seem to solve a rubbing issue with the 265/40/r21. Would be good to know what the specific clearance specs are for the MYLR and MYP--haven't been able to poke around on this forum yet to see if that is already discussed. i'm gonna try and find that 265/40 reference again and see if they can explain where the rubbing is occurring.
IDK if im understanding this + the screenshot u posted correctly but im sensing that 275/40/21 may fit ok on the front?

better pics @HB-M3-MY

also a stock with geminis happened to be across the street with 255/45R19 - unsure if that's helpful for comparison but its below as well

Attachments

• IMG_6997.jpeg
    IMG_6997.jpeg
    756.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_6996.jpeg
    IMG_6996.jpeg
    772.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_6995.jpeg
    IMG_6995.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_6994.jpeg
    IMG_6994.jpeg
    694.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_6993.jpeg
    IMG_6993.jpeg
    743.8 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: HB-M3-MY
I would have went with front wheels, kept the 9.5 front rims and used 275. 275 is actually the ideal size for a 9.5in rim width. 275 on the stock 10.5 is slightly less stretched vs stock, but still undersized. 295 is right about ideal tire width for 10.5. It is really ridonkulous the amount of tire stretching Tesla uses all for turn in and efficiency.

Reactions: HB-M3-MY
Ya, the screenshot above seems to imply there wouldn't be a problem with the 275/40..of course im no expert, there are several links that talk about using 275/40 on MYP with no issues--but they seem to be running the 9.5s in front. i think you are on those threads...so im sure you have seen all the comments. below shows the 275/40 on the different offsets (9.5 vs 10.5) to show the difference between what people are experiencing and what you will be putting on.
@thesmokingman i heard putting front wheels and tires (9.5s) do not meet the minimum weight rating for the rear wheels/tires on the Performance Model Y (but maybe it doesnt only with the OEM 255/35, not if you put 275/35s on them)..not sure if that also translates to the MYLR.
tire 2.png